So i just got like 12 germanium diodes
6 1N34A's and 6 914A's.
I want to know if any cool effects boxes can be built using these...
distortion/overdrive/whatever.

I obviously have other components.
But these are the only germanium ones i have so i want to build something that explicitly uses germanium diodes.

Thanks.
Might for work a Fuzz Factory , depending on their gain and voltage.
If my memory serves me correctly, there are a few. Any ciruit that has two doides, you can just make it with germanium instead of silicon and it'll sound different (more like overdrive[soft clipping] than distortion[hard clipping])
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/index.html
Last edited by jimRH7 at Dec 20, 2008,
^fuzz factory doesn't use diodes

^^duh. All drive circuits usually use two diodes (more if you want to increase the clipping threshold).

TS: 914 diodes are silicon.
It is possible.

Either they were mislabeled, or they're Silicon.
I got em from my college lab, and the attendant wasn't very knowledgeable. I asked if they had any Germanium transistors (for a fuzz face/factory clone), but she said no, we have some Germanium diodes instead if you'd like. So i just took those and left.

So any other interesting things i could do with Germanium diodes?
am i a bad person if i read the title as german dildoes, and my attention immediately turned to this thread?
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by kurtlives91
^fuzz factory doesn't use diodes

^^duh. All drive circuits usually use two diodes (more if you want to increase the clipping threshold).

TS: 914 diodes are silicon.

I was gonna say "two doides back to back in a shunt to ground", but I wasn't sure if that was right cos you get the ones where it geos over the feedback loop of an opamp aswell.

how does doubling up the doides change the sound? Is the effect, like, less overdrive, because you need to get over 1.4v instead of 0.7v ?
unet - In series. I've seen ones that have two doides together in series in one direction, and one diode in paralell to them both in the opposite.

I think that's the kind of thing kurtlives is talking about?
I've seen similar circuits.

Diodes can be used to clip in many different ways, depending on how you connect them.

The setup in the Electra dist. circuit that was linked earlier is used VERY commonly. I believe he was referring to that general setup.

eg. http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/pix/a_mxrdist.gif
You could use a switch to change between the 2 types of clipping diodes. But you will get a pretty big volume drop just using single germanium for + and - clipping. I solder 3 in series + and - so you still get clipping but no huge volume cut. Very different clipping the germanium to silicon.