I have a Warwick Corvette, which no matter how much I fuss with my amp and tone knobs always comes out a little trebley. I'm saving up my money for another bass, but this one I want to be more bassy. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Fender Standard Jazz but I really have no idea. Thanks.

Carl
dont sell the bass, what amp do you have?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Personally, I like the Fender Precision and it sounds richer than any other bass I've had. Plus, it's not too expensive.
try putting flatwounds on it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Schecter's make AMAZING low priced basses. but Fender Precisions are for sure a close second.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Quote by FWS-55615
I have a Warwick Corvette, which no matter how much I fuss with my amp and tone knobs always comes out a little trebley. I'm saving up my money for another bass, but this one I want to be more bassy. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Fender Standard Jazz but I really have no idea. Thanks.

Carl

If your having a hard time getting a Warwick to sound bassy, either

-your EQing wrongly
-you have an amp not on par with your bass in quality
-your amp/bass is damaged
-your playing strings made of tin foil

you dont need a new bass man. What amp are you using? We'll start there, if its not the amp then your EQ is the next step, and theres plenty of EQ experts here if im not helpful. And as Master Humanity suggested, flatwound strings are good for a thumpy bassy sound. Think Sir Paul Mccartney tone =)
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
If your having a hard time getting a Warwick to sound bassy, either

-your EQing wrongly
-you have an amp not on par with your bass in quality
-your amp/bass is damaged
-your playing strings made of tin foil

you dont need a new bass man. What amp are you using? We'll start there, if its not the amp then your EQ is the next step, and theres plenty of EQ experts here if im not helpful. And as Master Humanity suggested, flatwound strings are good for a thumpy bassy sound. Think Sir Paul Mccartney tone =)

I think he wants a little mud to his step. something a little more likethis but you know, a mix between that and what he has. some flats will give you a lot of the bumpy thumpy without the falling out the mixy.

though if that doesn't help, definitely aim for a P-bass, a Schecter will have the same kinda pure clarity, but with a little less growl.

are we talking ash or bubinga corvette?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I think he wants a little mud to his step. something a little more likethis but you know, a mix between that and what he has. some flats will give you a lot of the bumpy thumpy without the falling out the mixy.

though if that doesn't help, definitely aim for a P-bass, a Schecter will have the same kinda pure clarity, but with a little less growl.

are we talking ash or bubinga corvette?

Maybe i got his meaning wrong. Most of the Warwicks ive played/heard have a pretty thick bottom end, so my first assumption was amp/eq. But yeah, P-bass's have good solid bottom end as well, and the flatwounds will give you thumpity thump. Listen to some old Led Zeppelin, JPJ used a old P with flats, and he had a good, audible thumpy/groovy rock bass sound going.

But first, lets see if we can save you some cash by letting us know what your rig/eq configuration is. And if possible, give us an example of the tone youd like to replicate, or something similiar.
Chances are, the Warwick the TS has is made of ash, which has a very prominent upper midrange growl, which would detract from the heavy bottom end.

Chances are, you just need to cut the low mids a bit, boost the bass a touch and run the bass through an amp with a nice 15" speaker with no tweeter.

Overly ass heavy sound may sound cool on your own, but it turns a group into mush.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Humanity was tht bassist in tht video playing w/ flatwounds and wht amp was he playin through tht **** was funky
I have a Ampeg SVT-3 with an Avatar Cab and a bubinga Corvette. Thanks for the help so far.

Carl
Quote by AbTT
Humanity was tht bassist in tht video playing w/ flatwounds and wht amp was he playin through tht **** was funky

probably flatwounds, maybe orange amplifiers.

I'm not the expert on his tone, it is rather muddy at times.

TS, the cab and the bass may be your problem.

if that cab is 12 inch speakers, or even 10, the sound may just punch from there. look into 15s and 18s.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

If it is an Ash Corvette DON'T CUT THE LOW MIDS. Nothing knocks the thump and rumble out of the Ash Corvette faster. Bump up the lows and low mids, cut the high mids a tad and off you go.

EDIT: missed the post where he says he has a Bubinga one
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by Nikki197666 at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by FWS-55615
I have a Ampeg SVT-3 with an Avatar Cab and a bubinga Corvette. Thanks for the help so far.

Carl

Bubinga has pretty solid low end, and i dont think your rig is the problem - im thinking your just tone specific, and want something a little bit beyond conventional reach. If you know of a bass player in any bands you listen to who has or has similiar tone to what your looking for, put up a video. Otherwise, as Humanity said, flatwound strings are the way to go. On your amp head focus on the low (bass) and low mids predominantly, with a tad bit of high (treble) and high mids if you dont want your notes to be atonal. Oh, and pluck closer to the neck (near the frets) for less "bite" from your strings.
Last edited by CBurtonIsKing at Dec 23, 2008,