I'm going to get a Blackheart Handsome Devil half-stack with Christmas money to practice in my room with and play in the new youth band at my church. I haven't been playing long, so I consider myself a student of rock: blues, classic, and obviously Christian.

Christian rock actually covers a lot of genres for me though (for those of you who know, anywhere from standard worship to Family Force 5) so I need enough effects to cover anywhere from clean to a little bit of fuzz to full-on buzzsaw metal distortion. Is a multi-effect going to be my most economical option? After I get the amp my funds will be, in a sense, absolutely and completely diminished. What should I look for?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
If your effects are mainly consisting of soley distortion wait until you get your amp to see if you even need any extra overdrive/distortion and if not buy specific effect pedals because they will be alot better quality. I bought an RP350 when i had a solid state amp and it was alright but when i bought my first tube amp i trashed the thing because i didnt really need it.

Ive heard the Pod XT live is pretty good if your set on buying a multi effect
Last edited by deerhake44 at Dec 20, 2008,
It's just going to really be a hassle trying to switch between a bunch of different settings during a church service or the occational show.

Would there be a footswitch I could use to switch between my tube overdrive (Blackhearts apparently have a British/Classic Rock overdrive tone) to the clean channel to play high-gain metal-type tones?

And I really could care less if I didn't do the metal-esque songs at all, but Family Force 5 songs are really fun to play, really simple, and really fun to sing as well.

For the most part I think we'll be playing stuff from modern bands. Relient K, Stellar Kart, Hawk Nelson, etc.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
It's just going to really be a hassle trying to switch between a bunch of different settings during a church service or the occational show.

Would there be a footswitch I could use to switch between my tube overdrive (Blackhearts apparently have a British/Classic Rock overdrive tone) to the clean channel to play high-gain metal-type tones?

And I really could care less if I didn't do the metal-esque songs at all, but Family Force 5 songs are really fun to play, really simple, and really fun to sing as well.

For the most part I think we'll be playing stuff from modern bands. Relient K, Stellar Kart, Hawk Nelson, etc.

All the Digitech RP's come with foot controllers built on the pedal. The PODs dont, but the POD Live's do. Here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=Line+6+POD&st=

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/guitars?N=100001+304262&Ntk=All&Ntt=digitech+rp&Nty=1
Your looking for at least a POD XT Live and once you set your patches the changes are just a stomp away.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
So basically I'm looking at spending about as much for an effects setup as my amp? Great. I think I'll just make due with pure tube distortion and whatever basic pedals I need.

That being said, what kind of pedals should I get to have all of the basics covered? Chorus, Reverb, and Delay?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
You know your still going to have to adjust single pedals as well. The pedals you need depend on what you play.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Well I have what I'll be playing at the top.

To be fully detailed, I'll be playing in a band that will cover contemporary Christian rock bands (e.g. Relient K, Stellar Kart, Hawk Nelson) and worship songs. We will also probably write a few of our own songs, and adapt songs that individual members have already written to full band songs instead of just vocals and guitar.

I'll more than likely just find one sound for our electric guitar and use that for all of the songs. That way I won't have to do crazy amounts of adjustments during performances and the cover songs will have a certain uniqueness to them. Not everything will have electric. In fact, I'm sure that quite a few songs will be only acoustic guitars (something else to add to the wish list: a better acoustic)

I really can't spend much money because I don't have much. 16 + No Job = No Money for t3h gearz
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
if you just need effects you can get something cheaper like a Zoom G2.1u, its good for like chorus, delay, flange, etc, except if you need it for distortions also the G7/G9 kick ass.