i've been playing guitar for over a year, no formal lessons. im above "beginner" in my technique and i have some knowledge of theory, but can't read music. anyway there's a class at my college and im not sure if i should take it what do you guys think?
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
contrary to popular belief, lessons can prove to be a great advantage, as you will learn to thoroughly understand your instrument and music in general. I say go for it, if you can afford it.
Quote by hagstrom_9
na just buy a book and learn from it

i like books as well.

Just get a book. lol
Well what are you planning to try and get out of it?
Better technique? Better understanding of the Gee-Tar?
If you want to get better just pracitce...you dont need them damn lessons >
Can you afford it? If money is no problem, then go for it. Other than money, you have nothing to lose.
Quote by Darkkon
How much does it cost?

its 20 dollars per unit and the class is only one unit so, twenty bucks
Quote by Sonicxlover
lessons are great, try to get a one on one teacher. aside from that, you could try a music theory class. it really helps with understanding music, and since you are a beginner it will probably be mostly new to you.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Lessons are probably a great idea, but reading music is pretty simple once you get your head round the basics. If you're just going for that, I think you could quite easily pick that up by yourself, from a book, and just looking at some music.
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
Well....
Instead of going to the course...
You can take up piano lessons!!

Learn to read music AND learn to play piano at the same time...
Thats killing two birds with one stone!!
okay bigger question guys. would i be cool or a douche if i showed off the first day?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Quote by gun4hire
okay bigger question guys. would i be cool or a douche if i showed off the first day?

You're a douche already for only asking.
Quote by gun4hire

Dont show off.

Douche.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I'm taking beginning guitar and advanced when I get to college. Like you TS, I cant read music my technique is quiet a ways above beginner. But Ive never had lessons, I dont see how it could hurt.
Quote by gun4hire
its 20 dollars per unit and the class is only one unit so, twenty bucks

Go for it, that's not expensive and it could end up helping you... even if only a little, it was only $20.
"Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy." -Louisa May Alcott
Quote by valennic
Dont show off.

Douche.

i know its a douche thing to do and all but we've all been in that situation at the guitar store and some dude plays something awesome and your dick shrinks like 4 inches. but on the inside you wish you could do that. know what i mean?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Quote by gun4hire
i know its a douche thing to do and all but we've all been in that situation at the guitar store and some dude plays something awesome and your dick shrinks like 4 inches. but on the inside you wish you could do that. know what i mean?

No. Your "dick shouldn't shrink 4 inches". You should applaud the guy for his skills, and train hard on yours. And not to show off, but to be able to hopefully jam along with that same guy one day.
Quote by gun4hire

ZeGuitarist hit the nail on the head.

You learn from people, you dont feel ashamed by people.

I've been outplayed many times in guitar stores, I learned each time. I've jammed along with a few of em too.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by ZeGuitarist
No. Your "dick shouldn't shrink 4 inches". You should applaud the guy for his skills, and train hard on yours. And not to show off, but to be able to hopefully jam along with that same guy one day.

..yeah alright that makes a lot of sense
Quote by Sonicxlover
Quote by valennic
ZeGuitarist hit the nail on the head.

You learn from people, you dont feel ashamed by people.

I've been outplayed many times in guitar stores, I learned each time. I've jammed along with a few of em too.

Hope I run into you in a store someday
Not likely though
Quote by ZeGuitarist

Hope I run into you in a store someday
Not likely though

I have a feeling that if that happens, you'd end up being the one who outplayed me, and I'd be learning , I mean, your covers are inredible, compared to my little metal sample

hehe.

Since I'm in So. Cal. and you're in Belgium, that'd take a true miracle

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic

I have a feeling that if that happens, you'd end up being the one who outplayed me, and I'd be learning , I mean, your covers are inredible, compared to my little metal sample

hehe.

Since I'm in So. Cal. and you're in Belgium, that'd take a true miracle

*adds*
Quote by ZeGuitarist
*adds*

*accepts*

Always good to make new friends.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Go for it if you need the units.

I was kind of in the same boat as you but I had been playing self-taught for 8 years.

Instead of taking beginner guitar, I took music theory, and then incorporated that into guitar along with some online research, and I've gotta say it's worked out pretty well.

Especially since I plan on learning drums, bass, and piano in the near future.
Music theory was the better route honestly.

By the way, I totally live like 20 Minutes from Anaheim
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .