Poll: Which tube amp?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which tube amp?
New Peavey (JSX)
17 24%
Used Mesa (Double or triple rec)
54 76%
Voters: 71.
Well I have an issue I'm grappling with.I'm in the market for a new tube amp and played Satch's signature Peavey today and a used Mesa double rec.Sadly,I loved them both.So I was just wondering what you folks would choose,a new Peavey or a used Mesa?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Depends on your style of music you like playing, Satch should give you a little more versatility, the mesa should be higher quality though
Quote by Sputnik1
Depends on your style of music you like playing, Satch should give you a little more versatility, the mesa should be higher quality though

That's where im stuck.I liked the Satch siggy because to me it had a very unique tone and some nice options for versatility,but the Mesa just had this amazing crunch and response to it.Mind you,this is coming from a guy that has played on a marshall AVT for 4 years so both of the amps were amazing to me haha.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Buy what's going to make you most happy. Just be sure it 's the Mesa that makes you most happy.
Quote by WantzChas
Buy what's going to make you most happy. Just be sure it 's the Mesa that makes you most happy.

That's the hard part.It's at this price range that a lot of options for good amps become available and unfortunately I'm not anywhere near a big music store so I can't run out and test everything on the market.

I'd take the triple Rec, but I'm biased because Buckethead uses two in stereo.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'd take the JSX for versitility, but im slightly biased towards the JSX/XXX
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
the JSX's bass is a lot tighter than any rectos, and i have a disliking for a lot of mesas. the mesa does have external channel switching though
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Mesa dual rectos are teh sex.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I'm going to say the JSX...because I own one

Both amps can do metal perfectly, although the JSX is a little more versatile.
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I can't choose between them, I think they're both epic.

I have the same problem,they're both amazing amps IMO.Luckily the store that has them is owned by a friend of mine,so when I get the chance I'll be dragging my gear in to extensively test out each of them and analyze the differences all OCD like.Too bad the store doesn't have a "buy one get one free" policy when it comes to epic tube amps.

everyone here is biased...
I have a Vox AD15VT and a Peavey VK212 on the way...so I'm not biased...

I say go for the Mesa...a Dual Rectifier will do...they have the BEST tone I could ask for (but that's just me).
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Mesa
Mesa
Mesa
Mesa.

Usually I'm a Peavey man, but it's a Dual Rec, man!
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
They are both amazing amps

go for the Mesa if you can
but if you cant dont worry that JSX is a great amp too
A new JSX will have a 5 year warranty.
A used Mesa will have either an expired warranty, or what ever is left on the transferable warranty.
The Mesa sounds better with an od pedal pushing the front end.
The JSX doesn't require any boost to tighten up is tone.
The Mesa has a great base foundation of tone.
The JSX also has fantastic tone, but it's more unique and has more sculping options.

FWIW, my JSX embarasses my friends Triple Rec in all areas. (It really pisses him off)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
id get a dual rec only if you can get a good price becasue its tits- but dont be a noob, run your dual rec in vintage mode like a real man and not have it sound like ****. i wouldnt buy a new peavy anything, if i was going that route i would buy an engl and have good tone
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Mesa... But I was spoiled by the V-Twin I had.

John Petrucci would agree on Mesa too...
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore
Quote by Warpo

John Petrucci would agree on Mesa too...

hhaha and thats all that matters
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by jscustomguitars
JSX EVERY time.

Rectifiers are the most over-rated amps on the planet.

nope
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
you can buy the dual rec used, and if you dont like it you can probably turn around and sell it for the same price you bought it. then go get your jsex. or something good.
Well Enough Alone
Quote by jscustomguitars
JSX EVERY time.

Rectifiers are the most over-rated amps on the planet.

i am a mesa owner but i agree %100 with this statement. there are some pretty awesome amps out there that dont get enough credit obviously and when buying new in the mesa price range there are some amps that kill them. but you can get a used dual rec for a grand or far less these days, and a grand for a dual rec is tough to beat, because when used correctly it still fringin rocks.

i still think for the money an engl kills a peavy anyday
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.