I'm trying to get that really sludgy distorted tone they have on the albums "rated r" and "songs for the deaf."

Can anyone give me some good settings or some suggestions on how to achieve this tone? I have a classic rock voiced amp so I realize I'm probably not going to be able to get it dead on, but It'd be nice to be able to get the closest tone to it as I possibly can with the gear I have.

Gear is in my sig.

thanks in advance for any help
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
I'm pretty sure he uses fuzz pedals and Tubescreamers but don't quote me
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Big Muff Pi
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Quote by ilikeguitar90
I'm trying to get that really sludgy distorted tone they have on the albums "rated r" and "songs for the deaf."

Can anyone give me some good settings or some suggestions on how to achieve this tone? I have a classic rock voiced amp so I realize I'm probably not going to be able to get it dead on, but It'd be nice to be able to get the closest tone to it as I possibly can with the gear I have.

Gear is in my sig.

thanks in advance for any help

When I had my V16, I used a Bass 7ish, Mids 4ish, Treb 5ish EQ setup with my gain at half way and volume a little under half. To my ear it sounded pretty damn close to the Lullabies to Paralyze album, especially Medication and Little Sister.

I would suggest using the LP with the bridge pickup, volume and tone full, Josh likes to use his Dot live, so the LP should be close to it. I used my RG321 with Dimarzio Breeds in their respective positions for my QOTSA tone.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
When I had my V16, I used a Bass 7ish, Mids 4ish, Treb 5ish EQ setup with my gain at half way and volume a little under half. To my ear it sounded pretty damn close to the Lullabies to Paralyze album, especially Medication and Little Sister.

I would suggest using the LP with the bridge pickup, volume and tone full, Josh likes to use his Dot live, so the LP should be close to it. I used my RG321 with Dimarzio Breeds in their respective positions for my QOTSA tone.

awesome thanks for the settings man. Unfortunately my parents are sleeping right now in the next room over, so I won't be able to try them out until tomorrow

and to the 2 other guys thanks for the suggestions about the fuzz pedals but as of right now I personally don't see a purpose of buying one. I'm more of a blues/60s and 70s rock player but am currently experimenting with some more modern day/heavy tones. I'm just trying to get this tone for fun, so I'd rather not spend about $100 on a pedal for it. I really appreciate the advice though, and will most likely pick one up further down the road when I REALLY want one.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Quote by ilikeguitar90
awesome thanks for the settings man. Unfortunately my parents are sleeping right now in the next room over, so I won't be able to try them out until tomorrow

and to the 2 other guys thanks for the suggestions about the fuzz pedals but as of right now I personally don't see a purpose of buying one. I'm more of a blues/60s and 70s rock player but am currently experimenting with some more modern day/heavy tones. I'm just trying to get this tone for fun, so I'd rather not spend about $100 on a pedal for it. I really appreciate the advice though, and will most likely pick one up further down the road when I REALLY want one.

"blues/60s and 70s rock player" I still would go with a Big Muff Pi. Gilmour and Hendrix. (actually Hendrix died before he could record something with it, but see wiki for clear info)
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
i have a palomino, and i dime the gain, volume wherever is appropriate, bass - 6, mids - 7, treb - 6, and i roll back my bridge pickup's tone to about 3, and add the tubescreamer w/ a touch of drive to get some definition. i thought it sounded pretty close to QOTSA
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
You'll probably like a semi-hollow, high mids and bass and boost your amp's drive channel with a nice OD. I plan to get a Catalinbread Super Charged OD myself, because I've heard it's good for Kyuss/QOTSA stuff.

Also, an OD would have it's purpose in 70s/80s rock, so get a nice one.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by ilikeguitar90

just a suggestion...get some quality headphones and an amp input converter, so this won't be a problem anymore
Just pony up and get a fuzz.

I have a V33H which is pretty similar to the Palomino, and I use it for stoner rock all the time. Main thing is just to play loud and hit it with some fuzz.

Fuzz is very applicable in classic rock and blues as well.
Quote by stradivari310
Real men have fuzz pedals.

this
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12