Page 1 of 2
So who else thinks that quite possibly the best music comes from drugs?

Regardless of whether its true or not, I think it's safe to say that drugs can open up your mind to things you wouldn't normally hear or write about (in a musicians case).

And I'm not just talking about those that have died from a drug overdose.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
drug thread.
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
It's way too sunny and warm here today to listen to black metal, I shall bookmark it and come back when the weather is worse.
Well, everyone was on drugs in the 60's and 70's and that was when some of the most interesting music was created so I agree.
XIAOXI
I don't agree with that necessarily. I'll agree that some trippy things can be made, but completely sober people are on the same artistic level as drug users, to an extent.
Super-serial list of equipment: guitar, amp, some picks, and a cable.

I know i can be an A55hole, however i try to mean well most of the time..
"I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't f*ck, atleast I can f*cking think."
Quote by jackofclubs
Freebird!!!
Quote by Floyd93
drug thread.

Drug thread is to talk about experiences and to gain advice.

I'm asking for an opinion on music which is quite different.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by sebbsmith
"I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't f*ck, atleast I can f*cking think."

+1

some of the worst music was written because of drugs.
Quote by winterXsolstice
+1

some of the worst music was written because of drugs.

Don't tell this guy that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10w3FuCwfQ

Between the Buried and Me happens to be one of they only straight-edge, vegan, PETA lovers that I will ever love.
All others suck.
So I think you have that backwards son.
hah if u can name a band that wasnt influenced by drugs, then maybe someone would have a point, but if u think o0f the top bands of all time, its ridiculous to think otherwise
no, the best music was created with work, intelligence, talent, and skill. not to mention ****loads of practice. drugs just provide some inspiration, and some really really cliche lyrics. all these people who think drugs make them better musicians are morons.
I have no opinion on this matter.
for those who dont agree, you obviously know nothing about music, even if U Totally Love those StraIght EdGe BAnds, that doesnt mean ****, drugs have played a huge role in music dating decades ago, and for that stupid "at least i can think" comment, drugs open your minds perception,dumbass, so maybe ur the one whos too narrowminded to be able to see the difference, and for "alot of music has gone bad because of drugs", alot more has gone worst without the experiments of drugs, idiots
haha and this guy, talkin nonsense has a quote by bradley nowell, yea he didnt do drugs.....
Quote by steve98614
for those who dont agree, you obviously know nothing about music, even if U Totally Love those StraIght EdGe BAnds, that doesnt mean ****, drugs have played a huge role in music dating decades ago, and for that stupid "at least i can think" comment, drugs open your minds perception,dumbass, so maybe ur the one whos too narrowminded to be able to see the difference, and for "alot of music has gone bad because of drugs", alot more has gone worst without the experiments of drugs, idiots
you cant just do drugs, then become a good musician. anyone who thinks they can is a complete moron. just look at jim morrison. all he did was drugs, and all his music sucked.

the drugs are secondary to the skill of the musician.
I have no opinion on this matter.
pwned^ @ zug

i dunno if music is written better under the influence, never really compared.
more enjoyable without a doubt.

@ zug 2.0

edit: i think morrison was pretty creative, drugs helped and hindered that

maybe 'moderation is the key' as usual

i dont think anyone said drugs were the primary source of songwriting, just if the songs were improved with the use of;
Last edited by theshroomman at Dec 20, 2008,
Drugs can open up your mind and make you think in a different way. I will admit that drugs have contributed largely to music as a whole, but I do not think that it is necessary to do drugs to make good music.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
I think that drugs mean nothing to a certain extent. If you take some drugs and have a good trip and decide to pick up your guitar, it really is not going to make a difference. If you suck at guitar, you will suck while on drugs. It takes skill to play a guitar and make music, or with any other instrument.

I personally don't think drugs open up the mind and make you too creative. Sure, if you are a decent player they may open up some new ideas, just like if you're drunk you might be more funny/talkative but you have to have it in you. So, in short, you either can do it, or you can't. Taking drugs means nothing imo
Quote by Zugunruhe
you cant just do drugs, then become a good musician. anyone who thinks they can is a complete moron. just look at jim morrison. all he did was drugs, and all his music sucked.

the drugs are secondary to the skill of the musician.

His music did not suck. It was awesome.

Drugs don't make music good, but they don't always make it bad. Some music made by musicians on drugs is awesome, but some is terrible, so it's more of the musician than the drugs, as you concluded with.
Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

I have schizophrenia, I talk to myself,
People startin' to doubt my mental health,
Maybe someday I'll get the help I need,
But till then don't be blamin' mah weed.

*scratches*
When me and my singer/guitarist are high, we can't think of anything. However, I let loose a little more onstage when I'm a little bit merry.
Quote by Abunai X
Well, everyone was on drugs in the 60's and 70's and that was when some of the most interesting music was created so I agree.

Not Frank Zappa. And he made better music than all of them put together.

Anyway, no I don't. Anytime I saw someone I know playing when they were on drugs, they sucked pretty badly.

Actually, I think this is what happens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvp0RrErEfU&feature=related

And we can't forget this gem here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkO8dk_qOhc

But hey, it worked for Syd B..Oh wait.. Nevermind. Well, at least there's John Lennon.. Oh wait.. The Beatles stopped getting along when they started using drugs, and broke up when John started using them a lot..
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Dec 20, 2008,
My old drummer was a 1 pint man. Before that he was terrible and after he'd fall off the stool. Had to catch him just right. Like others have said, the experience of drugs can help your creativity but it won't make you sound better to other people. So, to me, drugs and stage/studio don't mix. There's other times for that sort of fun.
No, I completely disagree that the best music comes from drugs. Granted, I'm not that keen on stuff from the 60's and 70's so that automatically puts you into a minority group on these forums, but my favourite bands have never been influenced in the same way that the 'supposed' greats were influenced by drugs, and I'm pretty sure that I will be listening to great music in years to come that wasn't influenced by them.

Music takes work, it doesn't just take a night on acid and suddenly you've got the next Purple Haze or whatever. It takes a lot of effort to create a really solid album and I believe that good old fashioned human endeavour is a hell of a lot better than anything else.

Quote by steve98614
hah if u can name a band that wasnt influenced by drugs, then maybe someone would have a point, but if u think o0f the top bands of all time, its ridiculous to think otherwise

No. Take the blinkers off and you'll realise there is great (better!) music other than Jim Morrison, the Doors et al.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Last edited by Badreligionrock at Dec 20, 2008,
Totally. Unless the song involves a singing goat and 50,000 didgeridoos.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Badreligionrock
No, I completely disagree that the best music comes from drugs. Granted, I'm not that keen on stuff from the 60's and 70's so that automatically puts you into a minority group on these forums, but my favourite bands have never been influenced in the same way that the 'supposed' greats were influenced by drugs, and I'm pretty sure that I will be listening to great music in years to come that wasn't influenced by them.

Music takes work, it doesn't just take a night on acid and suddenly you've got the next Purple Haze or whatever. It takes a lot of effort to create a really solid album and I believe that good old fashioned human endeavour is a hell of a lot better than anything else.

No. Take the blinkers off and you'll realise there is great (better!) music other than Jim Morrison, the Doors et al.

Whoa, whoa. I'm cool with bashing Jim, he was an over rated fat bastard who needed to change his pants every now and again, and he looks like he smelled like cheap whiskey and cigarettes and pot, like that old hippie friend your mom has that doesn't have a home, just lives in his van... You know the one I'm talking about..

But leave Ray and Robbie out of this. They WERE awesome.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

I believe it was more a sign of the times. I love classic rock and the British blues invasion. I love the Allmans. But these "kids" were playing music all their life. Most got into drugs later, after they were formed as musicians. I used to think I liked playing guitar more when I was high or drunk. Then I realized I usually got to high or drunk to play well. You do not sound better. No way. If you need to use drugs to think you are enjoying it more, you suck.
P.S. I have no problem with drugs. They can be quite fun.
Quote by danohat
I believe it was more a sign of the times. I love classic rock and the British blues invasion. I love the Allmans. But these "kids" were playing music all their life. Most got into drugs later, after they were formed as musicians. I used to think I liked playing guitar more when I was high or drunk. Then I realized I usually got to high or drunk to play well. You do not sound better. No way. If you need to use drugs to think you are enjoying it more, you suck.
P.S. I have no problem with drugs. They can be quite fun.

I have to agree. I suck when I play drunk. And I broke the tuning pegs right off my guitar when I fell off my amp and into a girl's face... I really don't know how Zakk Wylde and Slash do it. Or Elliott Smith for that matter.

As far as I'm concerned, Outkast got much better after Andre quit using drugs and drinking. Aquemini was one of the greatest records I've ever heard. Tom Waits did his best work after he quit drinking.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by gir vs wild
music is my drug

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I got a nice gash in my Les Paul being drunk. I've quit drinking since then but it's always there to remind me.
I find being stoned puts me in sort a songwriting mood. Whose to say whether what I write is considered 'good' or not, but drugs do motivate me to write when other wise I most likely wouldn't.

My sense of rhythm is also quite different when I'm high and can lead to interesting chord progression and grooves. Sometimes when I'm REALLY stoned, I hear entire songs in my head, drums, lyrics, bass, guitar, everything and I try to pick out parts on my guitar.

I believe writing while under the influence can work for some people, but a lot of the time, it can end up being just a bunch of bogus material.

ohh, and BTW.. The Doors rock.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Last edited by highwaysalmon at Dec 20, 2008,
While great music without drugs is possible, I think there's a frame of mind you can get in while high that can greatly enhance your creative output.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQyR-FXJCLk

If you read excerpts from the book this song was based off of, it's pretty enlightening stuff:

http://www.psychedelic-library.org/doors.htm
Quote by Frewak
His music did not suck. It was awesome.

Drugs don't make music good, but they don't always make it bad. Some music made by musicians on drugs is awesome, but some is terrible, so it's more of the musician than the drugs, as you concluded with.

Drugs just amplify you're skill level, both creatively and technically. If you suck and make music when you're high, it's going to really suck, and vice versa.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by Zugunruhe
no, the best music was created with work, intelligence, talent, and skill. not to mention ****loads of practice. drugs just provide some inspiration, and some really really cliche lyrics. all these people who think drugs make them better musicians are morons.

No-one said it made them better musicians, a lot of people said it made them better songwriters. And they may well have a point.

Anyone who doesn't think drugs can help you write music has never taken drugs.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Talent + Drugs = great f'n music

talent + sobriety = creed

Pass that ****

edit: not that creed has very much talent
I totally disagree with the best music coming from drugs.

Listen to "Straight Edge" by Minor Threat. It is about how they hate drugs, it set a standard for punk, and it is one of the greatest punk songs ever written.

That answers that good music doesn't need drugs.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tmfiore
I totally disagree with the best music coming from drugs.

Listen to "Straight Edge" by Minor Threat. It is about how they hate drugs, it set a standard for punk, and it is one of the greatest punk songs ever written.

That answers that good music doesn't need drugs.

Oh my god. I just listened to that on youtube and it sucks balls. That's better than Jimi Hendrix?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I came up with some ****ing crazy lyrics last night while I was sitting on my friend's couch, but I didn't write them down.

I think drugs can help influence music, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that all the best music is made by people on drugs.

However, if everyone on here were to go through their playlists, I guarantee that 75% of the artists on those playlists have used some sort of drugs.

Quote by Meths
Oh my god. I just listened to that on youtube and it sucks balls. That's better than Jimi Hendrix?

+1, that song/band is terrible.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Minor Threat = No
Pink Floyd = Yes

Frank Zappa = Yes
Pete Doherty = No

Don't really think they make that much of a difference.
Page 1 of 2