im pretty new at this, i wanna record some riffs and record solos over them and so on and so on but the thing is i have NO clue on what i need, i use to use a mic for the computer using its recording program, i got more static than music by using that. So what is it all that i need?
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
a firewire usb connector. about 80 USD, from any music shop. its USB drive with a built in sound card which connects your Electric guitar to the computer. They come with software aswell, but other software such as cubase make it easier to use.
i suck but THATS OK!
And you probably need some nice software for it too. If you have a mac, you could just play it with Garage Band, but I don't think ur a mac user lol. So I think you can just do some research on what program you'd use to record the guitar playing.
just buy a 4-tracker, line 6 do pretty alright recorders. i'd recommend the ux-2, comes with ableton recording software, and riffworks just for recording riffs. it has mic inputs too, and it's not a bad price.
thanks for explaining this stuff for me i had no idea where to start so thanks for the info, and if you have anymore info please let me know it will be greatly appreciated
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by breaknahabit
a firewire usb connector. about 80 USD, from any music shop. its USB drive with a built in sound card which connects your Electric guitar to the computer. They come with software aswell, but other software such as cubase make it easier to use.

Why wouldn't you just use a $20 USB instrument cable?
Quote by breaknahabit
a firewire usb connector. about 80 USD, from any music shop.

what in the world is a firewire USB connector? lol

Quote by Robbbbb
just buy a 4-tracker, line 6 do pretty alright recorders. i'd recommend the ux-2, comes with ableton recording software, and riffworks just for recording riffs. it has mic inputs too, and it's not a bad price.

The UX2 is not a 4-track recorder, it's an interface

Anyways, TS you'll want an audio interface to record. Your use and budget will decide mostly on what you get. I suggest looking into the following:

EMU 0202
EMU 0404
PreSonus Inspire

What is your budget?
What are you planning on recording?
Do you have USB or Firewire ports on your computer?

Go though some of those thoughts when picking the interface.
If you like the sound if your amp you can mic it with a Shure SM57 and run that mic to an audio interface. IF you want to DI your guitar into the interface and use software to model the amps and everything, go with an interface with an instrument input or two.
Software will never sound exactly like hardware but if you spend a lot and get something like Guitar Rig 3, you can get some very good sounds.

Lastly, read though Tweak's Guide in my sig.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 20, 2008,