I'm just curious if anyone has some advice on the above mentioned pickups. I'm planning on getting a set for my Epiphone LP and whilst I've used EMG-81s before I've never come across a guitar equiped with the Blackouts and was hoping one of you guys might have an opinion to offer.
Thanks for any help

Matt \m/
I've tried guitars with these pickups already (one ibanez rg321 w/blackouts and an LTD Viper w/EMG's) both with a 6505 and i prefer the sound of the blakcouts, they're brighter and have a more "organic" sound. But in the end it is personal choice and budget, the Blackouts are more expensive.
Don't quote me on this info, but I think I read somewhere that active EMGs are flat EQed; they're basically made for the studio where they can be EQed by professional equipment. So, based on this information, EMGs are better when in a studio, but, unless they are EQed, they don't sound as great live.

If all the stuff I just said isn't true, then there isn't much difference between the two. I've heard people (like Edgecrsuher, but others too) say that blackouts sound more organic and less processed (for an active pickup anyway), but I think it's purely a matter of taste.
from what I have heard the blackouts sound a lot more like passive p/up than EMGs so that is a good thing IMO
Just a question. If you like the sound of a passive pickup, why not look for a set of passive pickups?

EDIT:

Just to clarify, it just seems that if you're going with the Blackouts because they sound more like a passive pickup, maybe you'd be better off getting some passives. Just a thought, if that's the kind of sound you're going for.
Quote by kenan6346
Don't quote me on this info, but I think I read somewhere that active EMGs are flat EQed; they're basically made for the studio where they can be EQed by professional equipment. So, based on this information, EMGs are better when in a studio, but, unless they are EQed, they don't sound as great live.

If all the stuff I just said isn't true, then there isn't much difference between the two. I've heard people (like Edgecrsuher, but others too) say that blackouts sound more organic and less processed (for an active pickup anyway), but I think it's purely a matter of taste.

No hostility, simply saying: I haven't heard Blackouts but the guitarist in my band uses an inverted Zakk Wylde setup and he sounds amazing live. So I personally dont think that can be true. However, I havent heard blakouts, and he does have a really good amp, so that might affect it.
Cheers for the advice lads, after reading this and a few other reviews I think I might go the Blackouts route. Be cool to try something other than EMGs as replacements and if they totally suck I have a friend who's a mad Alexi Laiho fan and he'll take them off my hands
Quote by kenan6346

No. Please don't post info like that if you don't even know if it's true.

Quote by Waylanderau
I'm just curious if anyone has some advice on the above mentioned pickups. I'm planning on getting a set for my Epiphone LP and whilst I've used EMG-81s before I've never come across a guitar equiped with the Blackouts and was hoping one of you guys might have an opinion to offer.
Thanks for any help

Matt \m/

What's your current amp?
I tried both, with my amp the EMGs sounded better to me. Its all personal preference
Current amp is an Ashton GA100212 Combo. Neat little 100watt combo, nothing mind blowing but works well enough.
Really? I dropped a set of EMG81s in my old LTD a while back and it made a huge difference, heaps more grind and clarity. Anyways, like I said, I know a dude I can off-load them to if I'm not happy so I'll the give the blackouts a whirl and see how I go.
Thanks again for the input
^it may have made a big difference, but playing emgs or blackouts (both are great btw, my friend even wants an 81 bridge/blackout neck!) through a tube amp is a whole different ballgame. u think they sound good with SS, try them in a tube amp, and youll be blow off ur ass....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
To be honest I'd love to, but my cash flow just isn't that great right now so I'm afraid a new amp will have to wait for a while
Last edited by Waylanderau at Dec 22, 2008,
all its going to do is mud your sound up, which if you play heavy ****ty-toned metal it will be great, if you want to retain any good-clean-clear sounding tone then you want alnicos, or even a GOOD set of ceramics. SD pickups are better as far as materials go, and are a totally different pickup with a different sound. they all sound muddy and are extremely loud. the tone will be different, but you just have to see which one you like better.
Quote by LP Addict
all its going to do is mud your sound up, which if you play heavy ****ty-toned metal it will be great,

*chuckle* As it happens I do, so I'll order the Blackouts and I'll let you know
Don't you have to drill a cavity for the battery?

Otherwise i would have done this long ago
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by blues_to_thrash
Don't you have to drill a cavity for the battery?

nope.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
nope.

damn

well potentially

depends how much cavity space i have
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by LP Addict
tone is in the eye of the beholder, if you think thats awesome tone, then go for it. alot of people do, i think its sad, but hell, nobody plays REAL guitar anymore

do blues and classic rock count as "real" guitar? cause, if so, ur wrong. I play real guitar. If not, then f*** my life...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
it all depends on what your doing, i would highly recommend trying before you buy
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Im trying to figure out if i should put the blackouts or EMGs 81 & 85

I was going to put the old pups (rockfield Mafias) in my GRG170

What I Need To Know Whats Best For Heavy Metal

Need help!!
B.C Rich Ironbird Limited Edition
Ibanez GRG170DX Custom In Sparkling Silver
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 Express Floorboard

I Want .....

Emgs 81 & 85 For Grg

Vox Valvetronix AD50VX-XL!!!

i was wanting to know this for a while, i want the blackouts because i am a huge alexi laiho fan, but which one sounds better for melodic death? i also want to know how to make a guitar have only one pick up and a volume knob. if any one knows how please let me know
Quote by Edgecrsuher
I've tried guitars with these pickups already (one ibanez rg321 w/blackouts and an LTD Viper w/EMG's) both with a 6505 and i prefer the sound of the blakcouts, they're brighter and have a more "organic" sound. But in the end it is personal choice and budget, the Blackouts are more expensive.

Blackouts are like half as expensive...
$179 for a set from Stewmac I think, but EMGs are like $300 from Retailers.
You can pick up EMGs for $200 new off of Ebay mind you, but still Blackouts are cheaper.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Ive played a schecter with a blackout through a 6505, and in my honest opinion the EMG's sounded alot better
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't bother with active pickups. They're designed to drive the front end of tube amps hard. Won't do diddley for your solid state amp. Won't make your tone uber br00tal for metal.
In a nutshell - it'd be a waste of money.

uhhh... too late lawl
i bought blackouts, put em in my ibanez szr520 and plugged into my 50 watt line six and my 15watt vox da15.
prob a bad idea to go to blackouts?
they still sound insanly beast, but from what your saying, i can get more out of them?