K so I got my new guitar (cant play it yet >.< so now I need a new amp. My max price is probably around $400 AUD. I don't want something too speccy. 30 or 60 watts would do. I'm looking at line 6 spiders. Everyone says they are crap but I was testing my Schecter with one at the shop and I thought it sounded good. I can probably go a bit over $400, maybe 500 or 600.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
i recommend a valvetronix...i just bought an ad50vt for $700 on the weekend...they sell a 30 watt version for cheaper...cubes are okay...i've also heard good things about peavey's but i've only evwer played a 5150 and a rage 15 watt ****box...my old amp.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Looks like you're in australia yeah? If so, it's worth giving Ashton a shot. Most of the stuff they make is strictly entry level but some of their amps really are not too bad. I have one of their 100 Watt combos, 2x12 celestions in it and I believe it was under $600. Sure it's not exactly a Mesa Boogie but it does the job very nicely. You can get them in lower wattages with different speaker configurations also.
Hope this helps.

Matt
Thanks Matt, I know 2 shops near me that sell Ashton. I'll go check them out when I have time.

EDIT: It seems no place near me sells Ashton amps...
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Dec 20, 2008,
Uhm what's your style of music?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I like to play Guns n roses, Muse, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Queens of the stone age, Rage against the machine, Rise against, rush and others that I cant think of.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
So classic rock to classic metal eh?

I'd recommend the Ibanez TBX series since they can get a good range of distortion sounds for cheap.I'm not sure what the conversion rate is but a 150 watt TBX head is like 250 American dollars and the combo is like 380.My advice would be to test play one first if you can,or just to go to your local shop and test play all the amps in your price range and pick the one you like the best.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

For those styles, a Vox AD series amp should work nicely. Other amps like the Vypyr and Cube are nice for higher gain stuff, but the Vox is a lot better when it comes to crunch sounds, which is what you are looking for if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: I can't really comment on the TBX, I only played the old TB amps.
Quote by Pr0gNut
So classic rock to classic metal eh?

I'd recommend the Ibanez TBX series since they can get a good range of distortion sounds for cheap.I'm not sure what the conversion rate is but a 150 watt TBX head is like 250 American dollars and the combo is like 380.My advice would be to test play one first if you can,or just to go to your local shop and test play all the amps in your price range and pick the one you like the best.

Is it possible to mix and match amps and cabs? If I got the Ibanez TBX Head could I get a Marshall Cab?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
yeah you can...you just have to make sure the cab and head have the same resistance

a question from a question...can you have amps where you can change the ohms?
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by random_B-RAD
Is it possible to mix and match amps and cabs? If I got the Ibanez TBX Head could I get a Marshall Cab?

Yes, you can, but the better marshall cabs are expensive while the cheap Ibanez cabs are surprisingly good. Besides, with your budget it is unlikely you will be able to afford a head and cab, I think you will have to settle for a combo.

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

Yes, many amps have a speaker impedence selector at the back while others just have several output jacks for cabs with different impedences. There are of course amps that have none of the above (combos most of the time).
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah you can...you just have to make sure the cab and head have the same resistance

Not sure what exactly you mean but the BEHRINGER BG412H review says: 2 channels, stereo (8 ohms) and mono (16 ohms)
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30