Okay, so as some of you may have read, i've purchased a Presonus Inspire for a nice price of $270AU = approx $180US, and now i'm needing a nice starter condenser microphone for between $200 to $150AU = $100 to $140US.

I was originally going to get the SM58 dynamic mic, but i'm told that Condenser Mics are much better for Acoustic + Vocals, and I shall be getting the SM57 in sometime.

So far, i've had a look at the following:

Behringer C1/C2/C3 = Real cheap, does this mean ****house?

Studio Projects B1 = At the height of my price range, would it be so much better than the ^^?

SM58 = Stated above, would it be worth it?

thanks for your feedback guys, and have an awesome christmas/new year.
I'd probably go with the studio projects B1. It's a solid mic, and as long as you record in a room with good acoustics and set it up right, you'll get good results. Also, try to avoid behringer's cheap mics, they have a high level of self-noise.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Red 5 Audio
there mic's are cheap but i'v only seen prices in GBP, im sure they'll export though
Quote by Sonny_sam
I'd probably go with the studio projects B1. It's a solid mic, and as long as you record in a room with good acoustics and set it up right, you'll get good results. Also, try to avoid behringer's cheap mics, they have a high level of self-noise.

I'd go with the SP mic there too. You might get a Rode NT1 for close to that price range too, which I would choose over either of them.

As far as the Behringer goes, there is a LOT of rhetoric out there about them. Loads of people are happy enough to spout off some other rhetoric they have heard somewhere else without any actual experience with them.

Here is something I did with the cheapest of the cheap Behringer mics - an ECM8000 omni condensor. I use them as drum overheads, but I made this clip to provide evidence against rhetoric similar to above. Click on ECM8000 demo and don't listen to anything else. Those recordings are ages old. That soundclick site is otherwise entirely redundant to anything I'm doing now.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=10199&content=music

Since my purpose was not for a great performance, I left the mistakes in. This is just the mic on my acoustic guitar straight through a Behringer mixer and straight into Cubase. NO EQ, or anything was added at any point. Just straight in and straight out.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Dec 20, 2008,
Sm58's and Sm57's aren't all that different.

In a non-professional set-up I wouldn't suggest buying one of each.

Get a 57, a Rode NT1-A and a pop sheild.
my current set-up is:

Presonus Inspire
Sm57
Shure Pg48

And im hoping to buy another Presonus Inspire, which i'll daisychain with the other one, but would a Studio Projects mic be good for Overheads?

Plan is to record drums with
1 - Snare = Pg48 (already been doing it, and with the right EQ, is beyond good)
2 - Bass = Sm57 (Has been working nicely)
3 - Tom = ?
4 - Overhead Cymbals = Studio Projects B1 (probably on just a high-hat, ride, crash)

Good enough?
Just noticed that your in aus too. So Rode mics should be cheaper?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)