im looking for a marshall tube amp...anything that can replace wat i have now which is

only a cube 30..im actually looking for a gigging amp..nothing over a 100watts will do..

but im not sure which one to choose i mostly play rock,metal and blues..
1. Why a Marshall tube amp? Is it because it's Marshall?
2. Why over 100 watts? Have you any idea how much difference there is between the loudness of tube watts and SS watts? A 100 watt tube will make your head explode if you don't watch out...
3. Budget?
zup Cube30.

This is the way it is,
I don't see it nessesary to have a guitar amp that uses more than 100 watts, in fact it will be WAY to much if ur giging at a small stage with a good PA system, and therefore micing your amp up. A good giging amp is for me a combo amp with 2x12 speakers, it is not as heavy and expensive as the 4x12 Top and cab amps, but it will still have a enough output to be used as a "guitar monitor" on the stage.

keep that in mind when you're buying you're new amp =)

peace
I think he meant don't go over 100 watts....

nothing over 100 watts... "(he thinks) that'll do for what he wants"

Oh... and I like the 6100/6101 30th Anniversary but yeah.. that's not cheap and you can't just walk into Guitar Center and buy one.
Guitars:
Legend Guitar Company OM-307QM,
Gitane John Jorgenson Gypsy Jazz Guitar,
Ibanez AG-85,
Gibson Johnny A Signature Custom

Gear:
E-MU 1820M, Guitar Box Pro, Aphex 204, 1404, Boss OC-2, QSR, Roland Cube 60, Guitar Rig 2, Crybaby 535Q
Quote by lbritish
I think he meant don't go over 100 watts....

nothing over 100 watts... "(he thinks) that'll do for what he wants"

He said "nothing over 100 watts will do"... I guess he though that meant the same as "anything under 100 watts will do". It wasn't very understandable.

Quote by lbritish
Oh... and I like the 6100/6101 30th Anniversary but yeah.. that's not cheap and you can't just walk into Guitar Center and buy one.

Tru dat.

TS, I still don't know why you want a Marshall and nothing else? Or why you want tubes? Or what your budget is?
Quote by ZeGuitarist
He said "nothing over 100 watts will do"... I guess he though that meant the same as "anything under 100 watts will do". It wasn't very understandable.

Tru dat.

TS, I still don't know why you want a Marshall and nothing else? Or why you want tubes? Or what your budget is?

sry wat i meant to say was anything below 100watts..and my budget would be

200 - 400?..ok well, actually i just want a tube amp..any kind would do..
200-400 what?
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by cube30
sry wat i meant to say was anything below 100watts..and my budget would be

200 - 400?..ok well, actually i just want a tube amp..any kind would do..

do you know what you really want? I mean ****, saying "any kind would do" is utterly stupid. There are so many tube amps that produce a certain type of sound, that it wouldn't be right to recommend something.

Keep what you have, research amps, save money, then buy something you know about and need.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
do you know what you really want? I mean ****, saying "any kind would do" is utterly stupid. There are so many tube amps that produce a certain type of sound, that it wouldn't be right to recommend something.

Keep what you have, research amps, save money, then buy something you know about and need.

ah yeah ur rite dude..my bad i wasnt thinking.. i shall do that then..
Quote by ZeGuitarist
1. Why a Marshall tube amp? Is it because it's Marshall?
2. Why over 100 watts? Have you any idea how much difference there is between the loudness of tube watts and SS watts? A 100 watt tube will make your head explode if you don't watch out...
3. Budget?

Do YOU have any idea how much difference there is between the loudness of tube watts and SS watts?
Quote by al112987
Do YOU have any idea how much difference there is between the loudness of tube watts and SS watts?

Yes. There is none. A watt is a watt.

But the kid obviously knows nothing about the difference between tube or SS, so pardon me for not chiming in with an overcomplicated explanation on how tube compression and soft clipping works.
Quote by al112987
My point is that people tend to overrate the loudness of tube amps.

True, but they ARE capable of higher volumes with less wattage. No denying that.
Sure there is. I personally think it's a myth. I hear all the time "a tube amp is x times louder than a solid state amp," which is true in a sense, but really not exactly that it puts out more decibels. From what I've seen you get more variations between different makes and how they rate their amps than you do between SS amps and tube amps.

The only ways I could see anyone arguing a tube amp being significantly louder than a SS amp is because some tube amps start breaking up very soon and very quickly start exceeding their "rated" wattage, whereas solid state amps in general have a lot of headroom and you really need to push them hard for any clipping to actually happen, which is how the amp's power is rated. But then that whole argument is moot as it's also the case between amps like say... a Marshall super lead (100 watts) and a Fender twin (100 watts), two tube amps rated at the same wattage in which the Marshall will absolutely obliterate the Fender in terms of raw volume.

Just my $0.02 on the matter. I can only speak from experience, I own two "Marshalls," (sort of), a 40-45 watt tube halfstack, and a 50 watt hybrid combo, the first one gets very loud very quickly, and running the volume at 2 gives the same approximate volume of my solid state amp at 4 or so but once I get past 4 or 5 on my tube amp (I'll not that by this time I'm already beyond anything that would be considered even an "acceptable" stage volume for 80% of gigs) it never gets any louder, it just gets more saturated. If I'm pushing both amps full throttle, they are very similar in volume, obviously one sounds much better than the other turned to 10, but in terms of sheer volume, I would say it's a wash.
^ True, some tube amps break up on low volumes and therefore won't be able to go much louder than some SS amps with more headroom, but the general idea is this:
- A SS amp that "breaks up" will only cause "hard clipping", so completely useless tone. Therefore, they can't be cranked higher than the wattage output they are rated for.
- A tube amp breaking up will "soft clip" for a range of volumes until finally showing hard clipping as well. But, before a tube amp hard clips, you can crank it WAY over the wattage it's been rated for, generally 2 times that output...

So, the point is: an amp is rated for the wattage output it can produce WITHOUT clipping. A SS amp can simply not go higher than that output, but a tube amp can, producing soft clipping.

Cheers
Quote by al112987

So explain how my 15 Watt Blues Jr can drown out 30-50W and sometimes 75W amps.
Quote by JilaX^
So explain how my 15 Watt Blues Jr can drown out 30-50W and sometimes 75W amps.

just because and amp has more watts than another doesnt mean its louder.
The watts are just the headroom.
And blue juniors are very loud for 15 watts, the only problem is they break up at like 8(it goes to 12, so when i say 8, think like 6).
So what style do you play TS?
Did you not even read my explanation?

First off, wattage =/= loudness, it equals headroom. Second, it depends on how a certain manufacturer rates the power output of an amplifier. I assure you the "15" watts you're talking about, is way more than "15" watts when you have the amp all revved up. No manufacturer designs a low wattage amp with headroom in mind. Surely not one that is running an el84 power section. Even beyond that, I find it very hard to believe that your blues jr. at 10 will put out more volume than a 75 watt amp at 10 using the same speakers.

I can pump out more volume from my 45 watt solid state rectified Marshall head through a quad of high efficiency speakers than many 100 watt amps can out of say... greenback type speakers.
the TS is asking for a marshall amp, i dont get why this had to turn into a wattage war
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by al112987

Well I'm one of the guys who do, in a sense. But that's based on what I've used myself (and owned). Also what a lot of people don't take into consideration is headroom. Headroom affects when the amp breaks up of course. Some people want a super pristine clean tone and then an amp with a lot of headroom. I for an exmaple, don't. I want an amp that isn't too loud at all, so I can push it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
By marshall, do you mean actually made by marshall or just marshall sounding. You wont get a real all-tube marshall for £400, let alone 400USD, but you will have plenty of options if you just want a marshall-sounding amp.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158