Hey guys

The song I'm learning now (Possum Goes to Prague by Ritchie Blackmore) is pretty important because my dad says that if I can play it as good as the studio recording, he'll buy me a new guitar. Just to make it clear, a new imported Gibson Les Paul would be really nice at the moment. Currently I'm stuck with a Ritmuller, the kind of guitar that parents buy for their kids at department stores for Christmas.

So I was wondering if you guys had any tips for learning/playing this specific type of instrumental?

EDIT: PS Im learning it on a electric, not a acoustic.
"Lets have some more fun, with musics!" - Skwisgaar

As jy dit kan lees, dan is ek fokken trots op jou.

O o
Just a quick bit of perspective here - Ritchie Blackmore released that song in 1999 by which time he'd been playing for 43 years, whereas you've been playing for 9 months. To be able to effectively learn it you should already be a competent guitarist and familiar with both the music of the Renaissance period that was influencing Blackmore at the time as well as his own work, as well as having a fairly extensive knowledge of musical theory to help you understand the thinking behind the composition of such music.

I'm not saying don't have goals, it's just that you should probably set some slightly more realistic ones. Blackmore is a master, you might never be as good as the studio recording, and in the months it could take you to perfect that one song you could be learning an awful lot about the guitar. Tunnel vision is a bad thing on the guitar, there's a whole instrument to learn about, you shouldn't put so much focus on one song - at the end of it you'll have only learned how to play one song and very little about actually playing the guitar.

I know you want a new guitar, we ALWAYS want a new guitar, but you've still only barely started playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
First off, thanks for actually taking the time to write a helpful reply, rather than some sarcastic one-liner.

I can understand that you might think that this is above my ability. Indeed, RB was and is a master of the guitar, but the song itself is not that difficult, imo ( I suggest you have a look at the tabs). You are definately right when you say that I will probably never achieve studio quality, but I'm thinking of perhaps lowering the bar a bit (after all, I'm a long way off from perfection). I'm also learning other songs, but this one is my main focus atm.
"Lets have some more fun, with musics!" - Skwisgaar

As jy dit kan lees, dan is ek fokken trots op jou.

O o