Okay, I just broke my E string after doing alot of Harmonic squeals, the strings were about 3 weeks old (My average is about 5 weeks for a pack of decent strings), and I want to know if there's some strings out there that will take what I deal, but still give the tone I like from my current strings.
I'm using Ernie Ball 10's, and I love the tone. My guitar came with D'addarios, and I didn't like them, so they're out...

I haven't really done much experimenting with different strings because I'm flat broke all the time, and I can't afford to chuck $15 on a set of strings that last like a week and sound like ****.

Would Dimebag DR's last longer (I do harmonic squeals alot like he did, so it seems they might be made to handle what I give them), or are they just the same as my ernie balls basically.

Or would Ernie Ball titaniums be better, because they'd last longer (Would they?).

Basically to sum it up - I need strings that have good, rich harmonics, and take alot of stress (From the stretching and loosening from the whammy), and that take a beating (I play very hard), in 10 - 46. And don't cost a ****load.

Sorry for the ****ty wording/grammaringness and such, but it's like 3am and I'm pretty tired.

Any help appriciated

Note::: I can't really get anything too fancy/rare to find, because my local guitar store is pretty small.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by Beebaboo
D'addario man...

As I said, I hated the sound I got from them, and I only got 4 weeks out of them. That was before I really used my whammy.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Elixers! kinda expensive but they last, so either your gunna get less expensive strings and have them break quicker or get expensive strings and have them last a little longer. Another thing is, alot of people change strings every month or so anyways becasue they feel the strings have gone dead.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Look, if you play hard and abuse your strings with a trem then they're not going to last long in general. You're just going to have to live with strings breaking if you keep playing that hard no matter what brand you buy.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Jesstaa
As I said, I hated the sound I got from them, and I only got 4 weeks out of them. That was before I really used my whammy.

Well if they came with the guitar, chances are they are not going to perform nowhere near as well as a fresh pack, same with any string. However, this is your decision, not mine.
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Elixers! kinda expensive but they last, so either your gunna get less expensive strings and have them break quicker or get expensive strings and have them last a little longer. Another thing is, alot of people change strings every month or so anyways becasue they feel the strings have gone dead.

I was thinking about getting a pack. I had some on my old strat copy, they sounded alright, and lasted. But I don't know if it was wort the $27 price tag
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
I was thinking about getting a pack. I had some on my old strat copy, they sounded alright, and lasted. But I don't know if it was wort the $27 price tag

You pay $27 for a pack of Elixirs? Ouch, you guys really do get screwed down there.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
You pay $27 for a pack of Elixirs? Ouch, you guys really do get screwed down there.

I know
I think the cheapest I had was a pack of DRs for like $10.

Next time I go to buy strings I'll probs get some really heavy ones so I can play some Machine Head, what gauge should I use for the Drop B tuning? (I have a floyd, so take that into account... And yes, I know it'll be a bitch to set up, but yeah.)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
$10 strings are the cheapest?? geez, and I thought $8 for ernie balls was expensive.
I didnt realize elixers were that expensive, Ive only ever broke one string and my guitar teacher just slapped on a elixer and said i owed him a coffee lol. But ive never had to buy them.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Yeah you're going to have to set it up and everything. I'm not sure if it's true for floyds or not but larger gauges can screw up your nut, hopefully somebody can clarify that.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
Yeah you're going to have to set it up and everything. I'm not sure if it's true for floyds or not but larger gauges can screw up your nut, hopefully somebody can clarify that.

I don't think they'd be able to, don't see a reason why they would, but it sounds like a possibility... Although it'd probably be more so for nuts made out of like plastic/bone/whatever than metal ones.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I just use plain Ernie Ball, the hybrid orange pack or the STHB set

They last as long as I want them to.

I don't understand how people break strings so easily. Some guitars just are badly set up...I haven't broken a string on my electric since like, March. I've changed strings two or three times because they're dull, but I use different tunings every other day, do two or three step bends on a regular basis, and generally abuse the **** out of my strings.

So I guess I like Ernie Ball, yes. I've used D'Addario too, and in my opinion, they stayed good for a longer time. I may get their STHB next time.

Elixirs aren't worth it. Flaky coating. No real improvement in tone. imo it's mostly a placebo effect.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
I just use plain Ernie Ball, the hybrid orange pack or the STHB set

They last as long as I want them to.

I don't understand how people break strings so easily. Some guitars just are badly set up...I haven't broken a string on my electric since like, March. I've changed strings two or three times because they're dull, but I use different tunings every other day, do two or three step bends on a regular basis, and generally abuse the **** out of my strings.

So I guess I like Ernie Ball, yes. I've used D'Addario too, and in my opinion, they stayed good for a longer time. I may get their STHB next time.

Elixirs aren't worth it. Flaky coating. No real improvement in tone. imo it's mostly a placebo effect.

The time the strings last really just depends on how you play, I play fairly hard, so yeah
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I use the skinny top heavy bottom ernie ball 10s (orange pack) and they're fantastic, i use a lot of vibrato and bending and they seem to take it like b*tches! So yeh, maybe try them out although you said you already use 10s and the only difference with these is that the lower three strings are from a pack of 11s, but if its them strings that are your problem give them a shot!
get some dimebags

they are great for bends and pinch harmonics
Originally Posted by neopowell
I'm perfectly capable of rating my own poo, I don't need a website to help me. I've devised strict criteria based on texture, smell, ease of passing and numerous other factors. It's even colour-coded.

ಠ_ಠ
GHS Boomers.
Always loved them
Peavey 6505+ Head
Mesa/Boogie Oversized Rectifier 4x12 Cab
Schecter Diamond Series 006
Ibanez SZR720 TGB
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Roland Micro Cube 10watt
I go with d-addarios becouse they are $10 and they aren't bad in my opinion.
Generally I replace my strings every 3 months due to either breakage or just dead strings.
I find that the elixers by the end of 3 months don't sound as dead as d'addarios,but $25?
I'll stick with my $10 strings.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.