I love the sound of these things. Lovely warm fuzz.

Does it make a massive difference if its put into a transistor or valve amp?

The only reason I'm looking is because it's the only sound my pod can't passably replicate and it's the one I most want. The pod fuzz just sounds awful. I know pod's don't make the BEST sound but they do work, really quite well in the studio too.
The big muff is too over the top from what I've heard. Sounds like a broken speaker rather than a nice warm fuzz..

Great for solo's but not so much for anything else?
What kind of fuzz tone are you looking for?

A big muff is one of the smoother sounding fuzzes out there, it's actually closer to a distortion pedal than a fuzz really...

I can't really think of a fuzz that doesn't sound over the top.
Quote by fly135
The Double Muff isn't a fuzz.

Yes it is.. "We put two of our classic transistor '69 plug-in Muff Fuzz effects together in one box" - Electro-Harmonix.

Anyway I'm just going to get a double muff. From what I've heard it sounds pretty nice. I don't particularly want a broken lead tone. Just a bit of fuzz.
the double muff is an overdrive, although by setting the switch to double and keeping muff 1 low and muff 2 high (or the other way round? i can't remember) you can get fuzz-like tones (which is probably why the EHX site calls it overdrive/fuzz and not fuzz/overdrive), but it's not really a fuzzbox. so don't just buy it unless you've tried it beforehand because it might not be exactly what you're looking for.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^ Yeah, keeping the first muff low, and the second high gets it fuzzy, and I'm sitting here using it. In all honesty, if you want fuzz get a russian big muff rather than this. Although, I really like the double muff with bass because of the overdrive sounds.