So i'm looking at getting a new electric guitar straight after Christmass, to replace my cheap Encore Les Paul, in which the electrics no longer work, and i can't see the point fixing it straight away, since everything needs replacing pick ups, pots and everything else.
I have decided to get an Epiphone Sg G-400 to replace it. The problem is should i get a new amp as well to replace my cheap Tenson scream 15 or get some effects to make up for the rubbish overdrive channel. In terms of effects i was thinking of the Digitech Rp250. In terms of amps i'm looking at the Orange Crush 15r, Line6 Spider III 15, Laney Lx35 and the Marshall Mg 15cdr.
In terms of playing ability i'm not the worlds best player, mainly because i never took it seriously then when i did my guitar broke. I can string a couple of chords to gether and play some simple songs.
In terms of style i mainly play rock like Queens of the stone age and abit of Metallica.
I have a total budget of €400 and i'm open to any suggestions that you may have and i appreciate any help or advice given.
Quote by britishsligean
So i'm looking at getting a new electric guitar straight after Christmass, to replace my cheap Encore Les Paul, in which the electrics no longer work, and i can't see the point fixing it straight away, since everything needs replacing pick ups, pots and everything else.
I have decided to get an Epiphone Sg G-400 to replace it. The problem is should i get a new amp as well to replace my cheap Tenson scream 15 or get some effects to make up for the rubbish overdrive channel. In terms of effects i was thinking of the Digitech Rp250. In terms of amps i'm looking at the Orange Crush 15r, Line6 Spider III 15, Laney Lx35 and the Marshall Mg 15cdr.
In terms of playing ability i'm not the worlds best player, mainly because i never took it seriously then when i did my guitar broke. I can string a couple of chords to gether and play some simple songs.
In terms of style i mainly play rock like Queens of the stone age and abit of Metallica.
I have a total budget of €400 and i'm open to any suggestions that you may have and i appreciate any help or advice given.

1. A G-400 is a good guitar. Go for it
2. Yes, get a new amp. Effects will mean nothing if the amp's sound is rubbish.
3. The amps you listed aren't good . The Crush is...well, it's certainly not a Tiny Terror or another high quality Orange amp. It is't bad though. The Spider III is horrible. Don't know the other two well enough though. But I recommend a Vox VT15, Vox makes some good amps for rock.
new guitar and amp seems like your best bet... and i'd preferably get the orange amp
1. G-400 is a good guitar, as mentioned above.
2. Definitely need a new amp.
3. All the amps you listed are pretty bad, lol. I also recommend a Vox Pathfinder or Valvetronix, broth GREAT amps for the price.

Hope this helps!
I think the spider wouldn't be a terrible choice. It'll show you what effects you want in the future and it doesn't deserve half the stick it gets.

But there are probably better amps out there
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
My advice is that when buying anything is to always get the best quality you can afford.

In this case, you have a dead axe and a still-working but sub-par amp. I'd dump my entire budget into the guitar and buy a new amp at a later date.

Here's why:

1) With a better guitar, you're going to find a bit more motivation to practice. Whether its because it will seem like more fun to play or because of some subconscious drive to justify the $$$ you dropped on it doesn't matter.

2) A better guitar will sound better through a bad amp than a so-so guitar through a so-so amp. And when you finally get a better amp, you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

The first time I discovered this principle was with stereo speakers. I had some so-so speakers when I first got into CDs after years of having albums and cassette tapes. The difference was incredible.

Then I played the same CDs through some Bose 901s...OMG, what a difference.

3) A better guitar will stand up to more punishment- accidental or on purpose- than a so-so one. Its also going to bring more to the table- better electronics, better tone...and you know you're going to fall in love with it over and over again each time you look at it.
Quote by tigerking615
1. A G-400 is a good guitar. Go for it
2. Yes, get a new amp. Effects will mean nothing if the amp's sound is rubbish.
3. The amps you listed aren't good . The Crush is...well, it's certainly not a Tiny Terror or another high quality Orange amp. It is't bad though. The Spider III is horrible. Don't know the other two well enough though. But I recommend a Vox VT15, Vox makes some good amps for rock.

I have looked at vox's but i find that they are too expensive i looked at the AD15VTXL but it costs to much. As for my current amp the clean channel was pretty good it's just overdrive that i'm strugling with which i think was caused by having a cheap guitar.
I looked at Rolands cube series which seems good, but i can only get the 15x and the 20x seems better, but that is too much for me to stretch my budget with getting a new guitar.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
My advice is that when buying anything is to always get the best quality you can afford.

In this case, you have a dead axe and a still-working but sub-par amp. I'd dump my entire budget into the guitar and buy a new amp at a later date.

Here's why:

1) With a better guitar, you're going to find a bit more motivation to practice. Whether its because it will seem like more fun to play or because of some subconscious drive to justify the $$$ you dropped on it doesn't matter.

2) A better guitar will sound better through a bad amp than a so-so guitar through a so-so amp. And when you finally get a better amp, you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

The first time I discovered this principle was with stereo speakers. I had some so-so speakers when I first got into CDs after years of having albums and cassette tapes. The difference was incredible.

Then I played the same CDs through some Bose 901s...OMG, what a difference.

3) A better guitar will stand up to more punishment- accidental or on purpose- than a so-so one. Its also going to bring more to the table- better electronics, better tone...and you know you're going to fall in love with it over and over again each time you look at it.

He won the thread... That is exactly what I was going to post.

By the way, the Roland cube series is decent, but the distortion channel is way to muddy and grainy, and the clean is just nasty sounding. Try playing as many amps as you can first.
You can pick up a Vox AD30Vt right around $200, maybe even cheaper.

The tones and quality are excellent.