is it ABSOLUTELY neccessary to have 3 springs in the back to do drop tunings? because i recently got a jackson dk2m, i cant play it till christmas and i heard u need 3 springs to adjust the tension, if this is true where would i go about getting one? are different springs assigned to diff guitars? or are they all the same?
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
me myself im not sure but do you have an old guitar with a tremelo if so get some out of that. but i think you can buy themfrom a music shop
This is a MotherFxcking Invatation
It depends on the nature of the springs, how the rest of the guitar is set-up, the tension of the strings/string gauge and just how low you're tuning.

As a general rule assuming you're using bottom-heavy strings like 10-52 and only tuning down to D, a Floyd Rose shouldn't need extra springs, though it will require pretty much a full set-up.

Also bear in mind that Floyd Rose copies may have different requirements than an Original Floyd Rose too.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
well i have a jackson dk2m dinky and i pretty much rendered my floyd rose useless cuz i play in drop c and drop b mostly..
i put a block of wood behind my tension springs and now it doesnt move..

tuning is annoying, curse floyd roses.
Quote by reldask
well i have a jackson dk2m dinky and i pretty much rendered my floyd rose useless cuz i play in drop c and drop b mostly..
i put a block of wood behind my tension springs and now it doesnt move..

tuning is annoying, curse floyd roses.

? why don't you use it? FR is the best and works like a charm if you know how to use it and set it up. When you drop tune or visa versa, get a screw driver, leave the back off the guitar like pretty much everyone else out there and set it up properly.

block under it?? LOL
my jackson came with 3 springs, and i assume that yours will too. anyway if your drop tuning you'll need to set it up properly, but you dont need any more springs. i think you put them in if your using really high gauge strings at standard tuning.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
thanks all, im not sure about the gauge of the strings, ive heard about putting a block in the back though
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25