I know this is the guitar forum, but even though he plays bass, I've found Cliff a huge influence on my guitar playing.Anyone feel the same way?
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
I think he's over-rated because he died young.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
...i do not feel this way at all.
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by Sonny_sam

Nothing to do with age, just the fact that he died. Same with Dimebag, Syd Barret, Hendrix etc.

All talented musician's, just blown out of proportion due to their death.
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Quote by Zangetsu 101
Nothing to do with age, just the fact that he died. Same with Dimebag, Syd Barret, Hendrix etc.

+1000

Although I do feel hendrix does deserve a fair amount of praise as he was definately an innovator of modern guitar playing. Dimebag was good but he wasnt really doing anything different from any other metal guitarist, he was just doing what he was doing well. I think Chuck Schuldiner is the exception to this trend. He was definately a huge influence on the creation of death metal and even when he was alive he was modest about anything and everything. Also Cliff Burton really was never that innovative, he did have a strong hand in the creation of earlier metallica music but its more of the Dimebag syndrome. He was good at what he did but what he did wasnt exactly different.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by Sonny_sam

Have you ever heard any of his bass solo's? If you have not than look it up on youtube, and die.
Quote by Sonny_sam

Same can be said about anyone.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Barret was revered way before he died though. WAY before.
Quote by Slanderous666
+1000

Although I do feel hendrix does deserve a fair amount of praise as he was definately an innovator of modern guitar playing. Syd Barret struggled to even PLAY the bass which is a well known fact that has been confirmed by his band mates to critics to Lemmy from Motorhead. Dimebag was good but he wasnt really doing anything different from any other metal guitarist, he was just doing what he was doing well. I think Chuck Schuldiner is the exception to this trend. He was definately a huge influence on the creation of death metal and even when he was alive he was modest about anything and everything. Also Cliff Burton really was never that innovative, he did have a strong hand in the creation of earlier metallica music but its more of the Dimebag syndrome. He was good at what he did but what he did wasnt exactly different.

Quote by Clownocaster#1

Sorry really tired was thinking of syd vicious:P my bad. Pink Floyd time sorry.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Sorry really tired was thinking of syd vicious:P my bad. Pink Floyd time sorry.

lol quite ironic seeing as Sid wore that 'I hate/**** Pink Floyd' t shirt all the time.

though i never felt that Sid was overrated. Everyone I know seems to agree he was a terrible musician. And Syd is underrated as performer if anything, in my humble opinion.

Although there's also the quite valid argument that nothing is ever overrated, as far as subjective things like music go.
Quote by StiltonCheese
Barret was revered way before he died though. WAY before.

Not by me anyway.

His work and the word atrocious go well together.

-----

My exception to the dying = fame would have to be Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Quote by 1201ZJ
Have you ever heard any of his bass solo's? If you have not than look it up on youtube, and die.

I don't like his solos TBH, they're too un-bassy for me and the distortion on anaethesia (pulling teeth) makes it sound cheap IMO...
Why does it seem I'm the only one actually posting on the topic the TS gave...?

Anyway, Cliff? No, though even as a guitarist, Geddy Lee's bass playing has had an effect on my playing. Also made my standards for bassists go from "if he can play root notes, he's fine" to "If he can't play the bassline to YYZ, Won't Get Fooled Again or Anesthesia(Pulling Teeth) he's gone".
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
here is what i think and yes i do agree with you but when i listen to bass normally i hate it but i actually like cliffs bass solos so i kind of see him influential
But everybody here that has listened to Metallica alot must agree that Cliff's playing stood out from others. Listen The Call Of Ktulu f.ex.

He wasn't one of those that always followed the guitar melody.