hey guys, so i'm getting my first tube amp for christmas, an orange TT, and have a gig 2 days later. I'll only be able to practice with it at gig volume the day before, so i have a quick question. Since i'll be playing a gig and most likely have the volume cranked, and the gain knob dialed in for the volume, how can i make sure i don't crack the tubes in the short setup time given?

do i plug in my amp as soon as i get on stage and flip it into standby so the tubes can heat up or what?

thanks
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Basically, what you have to do is let your tube amp (and this goes for almost every tube amp) warm up for a bit before the gig. Seeing as it's new, I would suggest letting it warm up for at least an hour or so, just to be on the safe side. It's what I do with my AC30...
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
As soon as your at the venue, plug it in and leave it on standy for as long as possible. Sound check with it, then leave it on standby until you play. It should beallright. Also leave it on standby for a few hours at home so it is not unused before you play with it/
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
ok so let me get this straight..

when i get it on christmas i should play it alot/leave it on standby for a couple hours (maybe like 3 or 4)

then on gig day i should leave it on standby/play it for about an hour before i leave for the show

when i get to the show i should plug it in and flip it to standby as soon as i can so it can warm up for about 10 minutes before playing

sound like a plan?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I wouldn't worry too much.. when you get it just play it, leave it on standby whatever. It won't explode just because it's new.

Quote by FightinIrishPJ

then on gig day i should leave it on standby/play it for about an hour before i leave for the show

I only want to warn you about this: before you pick your amp up, make sure your tubes are completely cooled down. Moving your amp when the tubes are still hot can ruin them. Just have it turned off completely about 15 minutes or so.
Same goes when you're done with the gig. It'd probably get a bit hotter than at home so I'd say leave it alone for about half an hour to be sure it's cooled down.
Don't try touching the tubes to feel if they're still hot, you'll burn your hands

Congrats on your new amp by the way and good luck on the gig!
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Ok. First things first.

People make WAY too big a deal about how to deal with tube amps. There is a LOT of bad advice already in this thread.

Do not fret about your tube amp, it is just amp. There are really only two precautions. 1) Make sure your cabinet is connected at all times and that the impedance matches what you'ves set the head to see, 2) use the standby as the B+ ramming cold tubes can technically result in cathode stripping. 30 seconds to a minute on standby is sufficient.

Quote by Zooropean11
Basically, what you have to do is let your tube amp (and this goes for almost every tube amp) warm up for a bit before the gig. Seeing as it's new, I would suggest letting it warm up for at least an hour or so, just to be on the safe side. It's what I do with my AC30...

Quote by charlie__flynn
As soon as your at the venue, plug it in and leave it on standy for as long as possible. Sound check with it, then leave it on standby until you play. It should beallright. Also leave it on standby for a few hours at home so it is not unused before you play with it/

Set the standby for at least an hour? 3 or 4 hours? I'd love to hear the reasoning behind all this seeing that melting electrons off the cathode without a plate voltage can technically result in cathode poisoning. Ie. killing your tubes. This is no better than cathode stripping by not using the standby at all.

Too big a deal is made of these tube amps, and certain myths which make absolutely no sense get started up. Leaving your amp on standby for a few hours so it's not unused before you play it? I'm curious as to 1) you know what the standby does and 2) where you got this bit of advice from.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 20, 2008,
ok so you're saying just go up there and plug n play?

just crank it when i get up there, after letting it warm up as long as i can?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I'd just set it on standby for 2-3 minutes, like you always do before turning on a tube amp, then maybe playing it at a normal volume for a half hour or so before turning it way up. Should be just fine.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
ok so you're saying just go up there and plug n play?

just crank it when i get up there, after letting it warm up as long as i can?

30 seconds to 1 minute is plenty enough time for the tubes to be sufficiently heated to "prevent" cathode stripping. I'll say this, I've never once heard of cathode stripping actually happening. Technically it can happen, just like leaving your amp on standby for multiple hours can lead to cathode poisoning (well that is actually more likely), but really there are tube amps that do not even have a standby.

I have no clue where the posters above me got the "leave your amp on standby for a few hours" it is completely unnecessary. There is a good chance that they haven't the slightest clue what they're talking about. I'm certainly no expert on tube amps but I know the basics enough to tell what is bad advice and what is blatantly wrong.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 20, 2008,
I normally put mine on standby, go out for a fag then come back turn it on and play.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Yeh...there's some terrible advice in this thread. I'd say...let it warm up at the venue for say 10 mins or so, soundcheck, and play.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
My head along with some others doesnt even have a std.by function That should say alot. Really std.by's are merely for what the name suggests: standing by:P
As Al112987 says dont worry about it. Really you can hear when it's ready. It takes about half a minute for it to be at full volume, and thats why a standby is handy. To be able to go from "on/off" in a mattter of a second.

I personally never worry about moving the amp while it's hot. Might be me being risky, but never had any failure as result. But generally turn off your amp when your done playing, and it will be cold enough for you to move it safely once your done packing the rest of your gear

Just plug in and enjoy
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Quote by thankyougermany
I'd just set it on standby for 2-3 minutes, like you always do before turning on a tube amp, then maybe playing it at a normal volume for a half hour or so before turning it way up. Should be just fine.

Do this
Quote by eyebanez333
Do this

Y? And how would that be practically possible at a gig? Do you always stand playing at half an hour before you and your band can start corresponding volumes on the pa, adjusting to the room etc?
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Also, I mentioned this before, but I feel like it's important to mention it again.

Make sure you have a cab hooked up as I've noticed that no where in your rig list do you mention a cab. And make sure you set the head to match the cab's impedance. This is very important that the impedance matches. What even could happen to your tubes is NOTHING compared to a smoked output transformer.
Quote by al112987
Also, I mentioned this before, but I feel like it's important to mention it again.

Make sure you have a cab hooked up as I've noticed that no where in your rig list do you mention a cab. And make sure you set the head to match the cab's impedance. This is very important that the impedance matches. What even could happen to your tubes is NOTHING compared to a smoked output transformer.

+10000000
again this al guy knows all there is about amps, listen to him.
i have a 4 by 12 cab.. it's an old peavey 16 ohm cab i bought off my old guitar teacher for 38 bucks! woo.. i'm gonna get a new one once i save up.. but it's loaded with some celestian speakers, so it should do fine for the time being.

thanks for the concern al112987
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by stratdud39
+10000000
again this al guy knows all there is about amps, listen to him.

, I wish!

I know some of the basics of amplifier operation though, its a learning process. If I knew all there is to know about amps I'd have built myself several Dumbles and Trainwrecks by now.
Quote by al112987
, I wish!

I know some of the basics of amplifier operation though, its a learning process. If I knew all there is to know about amps I'd have built myself several Dumbles and Trainwrecks by now.

hahah got carried away, but still, you no a ton more than i do
Quote by stratdud39
hahah got carried away, but still, you no a ton more than i do

Its good stuff to pick up definitely, and easy to pick up as well, I didn't even start looking at the technical side of amplifiers until this past summer (when I suddenly decided it was a good idea to build an amp), a book or two on tube amps and some basic knowledge of electronics is all one really needs.