I recently have decided to play rock that doesn't sound like it's stuck in the 70's, so I'm gonna need a little more distortion. Me just now listening to Black Stone Cherry pushed me over the edge. I have a Fender Blues Deville, 2 channels, all tube, yada yada. It won't distort enough for me to get the kind of growl I need to play what I want. I suppose I need a pedal that will give me a metal-ish sound, I suppose with BSC rhythms and Slash type leads(I dont want to be a slash clone). Any recomendations?
meh
Get a nice boutique OD, I'm not upto scratch on them so maybe someone else could fill you in there.. Fulltone maybe?
You don't necessarily need a metal distortion. You might wanna try something that'll push the front end a bit more to get the amp to drive more, like a Tube Screamer.

A lot of metal players do that: they don't turn the gain way up, but they have a tube screamer out front to drive the amp harder.
Quote by sashki
You don't necessarily need a metal distortion. You might wanna try something that'll push the front end a bit more to get the amp to drive more, like a Tube Screamer.

A lot of metal players do that: they don't turn the gain way up, but they have a tube screamer out front to drive the amp harder.

And it tightens up the low end a bit too, which is nice.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by sashki

He's using a Fender though, and BSC uses 6505s... (they don't use metal-type gain though)
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
maybe a TubeScreamer TS808 or a TS9. .

There are also some new digitech pedals called hardwire and the seem good, there is one called valve distorion..definitly you should check em' out. .
Boss MT-2? They're supposed to be very versatile and the have very good EQ, so you could get lots of different tones I assume. Digitech DF-7? They have the pedal modelling, so that's a no-no for tube purists, but if you're more open, you could go for it as versatility is good. Otherwise I'd suggest a vanilla DS-1. My guitarist uses one and it's really good at just distorting. It's pretty good for your tone as well.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I wanna try to stay away from Digitech and Boss, I guess I'm a bit of a tube purist after one and a half years of a Line 6. Tube Screamer sounds great, but which kind, and any others?
meh
Last edited by get ta led out! at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by get ta led out!
I wanna try to stay away from Digitech and Boss, I guess I'm a bit of a tube purist after one and a half years of a Line 6. Tube Screamer sounds great, but which kind, and any others?

You realize that most OD pedals use solid state clipping... right? Tubescreamer included.
Quote by get ta led out!

There all analog pedals.

The new hardwires from digitech are really good especially the CM-2 tube overdrive.

There all true hardwire bypass with anolog chips.

if you want tubescreamer by all means try out a CM-2, its taken the whole Tube screamer sound to a new level.

I got one and after trying out diffrent OD's for a couple weeks i settled on the CM-2.

TS9, TS9 DX, BBE greenscreamer, Boss BD-2, fulltone Mosfet.

There all great pedals but i loved this one out of the bunch.

Its especially good for gainier metal like stuff, it can do everything else a regular TS copy can do sounding especially good and more.

Try one out, youll love it.
Fulltone OCD or Fulldrive. Maybe an Ibanez or Maxon Tubescreamer or a BBE Green Screamer. Look into boutique stuff.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild