Okay well I've been up for HOURS looking up different amps and reviews and stuff. I need a new amp REALLY badly. And from what I've researched, and asked, I keep getting left with the option of either a Line 6 Spider 3, Vox, Crate, or a Peavey Vyper. I've read a lotttt about the line though and 94% said the it was kick a** and the other 6% said it was digital trash. Anyway, I really need help.

budget: $400
I want a solid state combo
I play metal, grunge, and heavy metal.
Go with Vox, the valvetronix are pretty versitile.

Im not jumping on the line 6 bandwagon here, but the spiders are poor, you could buy a used flextone? those aren't bad, or save up for something like a vetta? there incredible IMO the 2 best SS amps for your styles of music.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
You will get almost 100% abou the Spider being trash.

I would go with a Vypyr or used Line 6 Flextone. It is the SPider's older, much much much better brother.

It's kind of like this. The Line 6 Vetta is Peyton Manning, the Flextone is Eli Manning, and the SPider is the Manning with no arms or legs that they try to hide in the basement so nobody knows about him.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Dec 20, 2008,
The reviews you have read are from very biased people who have just played the amp once or twice or they just bought it and think its the best amp ever made. The reviews that bash the spider are correct, they come from more level headed people usually because those reviews are from people who have had the amp for a while.

If all you do is play metal, then the spider is alright, maybe not the best. If you want to take the gain down a little and get some clean/blues/twang/rock sounds, dont get a spider

Try out the peavey vypyr because you like your distortion apparently
I have a line 6 spider 2 and have used a spider 3, the 2 has better sound for the type of music you play, but I would go with the Vox if I were you
play them all, i like spider IIIs, but others here hate them, and over half of them probably havnt even played one.
I myself hate crates, so i would tell you not to go with a crate, but others love there crate v series.
I havent played a peavey vypr, but those are supposed to be quite good, so i'd say definitely try on of those out.
A vox wouldnt suit you style as well as a vyper or a spider.
I say, either a vyper or a spider, but defintely try them all out because at this point its a lot of preference.
and if you can go used....do that
I say either the Vypyr or Roland Cube series.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by stratdud39
play them all, i like spider IIIs, but others here hate them, and over half of them probably havnt even played one.
I myself hate crates, so i would tell you not to go with a crate, but others love there crate v series.
I havent played a peavey vypr, but those are supposed to be quite good, so i'd say definitely try on of those out.
A vox wouldnt suit you style as well as a vyper or a spider.
I say, either a vyper or a spider, but defintely try them all out because at this point its a lot of preference.
and if you can go used....do that

Have you played the Crate V Series? The ones that are actually tube? Or have you played a ****ty ass SS?

I'd go for the Vypyr for those styles.
You will get almost 100% abou the Spider being trash.

I would go with a Vypyr or used Line 6 Flextone. It is the SPider's older, much much much better brother.

It's kind of like this. The Line 6 Vetta is Peyton Manning, the Flextone is Eli Manning, and the SPider is the Manning with no arms or legs that they try to hide in the basement so nobody knows about him

Only problem is that there are probably more Spider owners than Flextone or Vetta owners, so it's more like the Spider is the Manning brother who gets all the publicity for being Peyton and Eli's little brother with no arms or legs.

Wow I'm going to hell.
Quote by JilaX^
Have you played the Crate V Series? The ones that are actually tube? Or have you played a ****ty ass SS?

I'd go for the Vypyr for those styles.

Personally, for anything 'heavier' than grunge, I found the entire v-series way too muddy, moreso than my VK when it was stock and without the free mods (that's really bad ).

+1 on the Vypyr, just make sure you buy a USB-midi cable to get the updated firmware.
Also, +1 on checking out the Flextone, although they're not my cup of tea.
Quote by dudey5691
Personally, for anything 'heavier' than grunge, I found the entire v-series way too muddy, moreso than my VK when it was stock and without the free mods (that's really bad ).

+1 on the Vypyr, just make sure you buy a USB-midi cable to get the updated firmware.
Also, +1 on checking out the Flextone, although they're not my cup of tea.

Yeah, but when compared to a Spider...
Quote by JilaX^
If you really think Spiders sound better than that. Well. God help you.

Exactly what I was thinking, I didn't particularly like the V-series, but they're still better than the spider, unless you like that tight, no-tone distortion that it produces (it sounds like that to my ears).

TS might like it though, and it's TS's money.
Quote by dudey5691
Exactly what I was thinking, I didn't particularly like the V-series, but they're still better than the spider, unless you like that tight, no-tone distortion that it produces.

thatS honestly why I like the spider
the clean tonesAre pretty dissapointing
Quote by dudey5691
Exactly what I was thinking, I didn't particularly like the V-series, but they're still better than the spider, unless you like that tight, no-tone distortion that it produces (it sounds like that to my ears).

TS might like it though, and it's TS's money.

exactly, which he'll benifit a ton by trying them all out
Quote by stratdud39
lol
well
The spider is much better formetal, while the Crate was better for blues

Provided what TS is choosing from...

Blues: Vox or Crate, depending on what sound you want
'Heavier' Metal: Vypyr or Flextone, hands down
Cleans: Crate, by far
Low/Mid-gain: Crate or Vox
80's metal, early thrash: Crate, Vox, or Vypyr

^Which is probably NOT going to happen You know as well as I do, it never happens.
Woah, lots of answers. Wow, haha. Thanks, damn, amp buying is hard. Well based on what I've read, im off to look up some crate xD, haha. And btw im a chic haha so excuse my 'noobness' haha. Well, I guess Spider is totally out of the question for me, haha and there's a vid on youtube that compares Line 6 spider 3 to vyper, and, vyper kicks the spider up the a** xD
Quote by xXvampxX
Woah, lots of answers. Wow, haha. Thanks, damn, amp buying is hard. Well based on what I've read, im off to look up some crate xD, haha. And btw im a chic haha so excuse my 'noobness' haha. Well, I guess Spider is totally out of the question for me, haha and there's a vid on youtube that compares Line 6 spider 3 to vyper, and, vyper kicks the spider up the a** xD

I'm guessing your definition of metal isn't Necrophagist or something 'heavier'?
i have only the smallest vypyr but the thing is loud and the effects are great. i love the amp modes and it takes pedal pretty well

my two cents: get the vypyr you'll be a lot happier with the tone you can get out of it
As a matter of fact I adore Necrophagist, they are kick a** im addicted to stabwound by them, haha. they are indeed awesome. Don't misunderestimate me cuz Im a chic lol.
Quote by xXvampxX
As a matter of fact I adore Necrophagist, they are kick a** im addicted to stabwound by them, haha. they are indeed awesome. Don't misunderestimate me cuz Im a chic lol.

No, I was just saying that because the Crate V-series is no way going to get that without a distortion pedal.

Even then, the Crate isn't designed in the circuitry to play anything like that.

You'd be better off getting the Vypyr or Flextone.
Ooooh, thanks xD people on UG are helpful ha. But really, thanks, im so excited, im a getting a new amp WOOT
Well, I also need help in picking out a multi-effect pedal(or a good combination of a few good pedals). Any suggestions??
Last edited by xXvampxX at Dec 20, 2008,