Page 1 of 2
Hey all, just got my new guitar ( Epiphone LP Custom Ex EMG), and decided to start playing some more power metal.
I just learnt Black Sheep by Sonata Arctica, and found it quite fun.

I've been playing for 1.5 years now.
Does anyone know some power metallish licks / vids that show them?
Or perhaps some not too hard power metallish songs?

Thank you.
Blind Guardian songs provide endless enjoyment, Mirror Mirror is one of my favorites to play because of the epic yet easy solos.
Quote by dminishedthingy
Blind Guardian songs provide endless enjoyment, Mirror Mirror is one of my favorites to play because of the epic yet easy solos.

I'll look it up, thank you.
By the way, I'm new to solos and leads, so I can't play those damn fast solos.
Nah, Andre has a fairly unique soloing style, not too shreddy like a lot of power metal, shouldn't be too hard for you.

If you're looking for albums, I suggest you go get Nightfall in Middle Earth immediately.
Quote by dminishedthingy
Nah, Andre has a fairly unique soloing style, not too shreddy like a lot of power metal, shouldn't be too hard for you.

If you're looking for albums, I suggest you go get Nightfall in Middle Earth immediately.

Thank you. I will try and play it tomorrow. Trying to play the leads of Black Sheep now. It's not that hard
The best way to learn to play power metal is to play Black Metal, and never to play power metal.
Quote by dminishedthingy
Well aren't you just a little nonconformist rebel.

Who, me?

You talking to me, punk?

For a start, it was a joke. And no, not humOr. Secondly, I don't even really know what you mean. Thirdly, BM requires more skill - so learning to play BM would leave one in a better position to play pm. Or should I say PMS, which appears to be what you're suffering from?

Ho ho ho!
Yes, I knew it was a fucking joke, a joke that sounded like someone bashing power metal and praising black metal to gain internet elitist brownie points.

I'd say as far as technicality goes power metal does require more skill, which I believe is what TS was referring to, not songwriting ability, which I'd agree that in some cases is more prevalent in black metal.
Quote by LordNecro
Who, me?

You talking to me, punk?

For a start, it was a joke. And no, not humOr. Secondly, I don't even really know what you mean. Thirdly, BM requires more skill - so learning to play BM would leave one in a better position to play pm. Or should I say PMS, which appears to be what you're suffering from?

Ho ho ho!
oh christ. what do we have here? i'll start by saying Black Metal requires a blast beat, a scream and power chords. i'll end by saying you have the well humoured personality of an oven mit.

TS, go and buy Helloween Keeper Of The Seven Keys pt. II. absolute ownage there. the solo's are a bit tricky, though.
Lol. Unfortunately, I don't need internet brownie points, they don't have any value in the real world. However, I have proved my 'elitism' credentials time and again (in the real world, not an internet forum) and thus do not give two hoots!

As for the skill factor, one needs a strong right arm to play BM!
Quote by dio_dude
oh christ. what do we have here? i'll start by saying Black Metal requires a blast beat, a scream and power chords. i'll end by saying you have the well humoured personality of an oven mit.

TS, go and buy Helloween Keeper Of The Seven Keys pt. II. absolute ownage there. the solo's are a bit tricky, though.

His personality can be judged on 2 forum posts? Here comes the Orwellian survaillnce!

Plus, 'screaming' in BM sounds gay.
Quote by dio_dude

dio_dude, I will counter-attack with a dice roll that enables me to declare that your taste in music is similar to a mute troglodyte. We regret to inform you that your swords and sorcery have no dominion here (shaman), and that the might of BM will overcome you every time. Your assessment of BM has a similar odor to a pair of my running shoes.

Good bile.
Quote by LordNecro
Lol. Unfortunately, I don't need internet brownie points, they don't have any value in the real world. However, I have proved my 'elitism' credentials time and again (in the real world, not an internet forum) and thus do not give two hoots!

As for the skill factor, one needs a strong right arm to play BM!

You can make all the mistakes you want in a BM song. No one's going to hear you, PM on the other hand ...
Quote by LordNecro
dio_dude, I will counter-attack with a dice roll that enables me to declare that your taste in music is similar to a mute troglodyte. We regret to inform you that your swords and sorcery have no dominion here (shaman), and that the might of BM will overcome you every time. Your assessment of BM has a similar odor to a pair of my running shoes.

Good bile.
another Little Britain fan i assume?
pms on the other hand, a bunch of goons with carefully styled goatees will be stroking their chins, chortling with spiteful glee when your performance is human, rather than robotic.

power metal is just pop music with heavy guitars!

You wouldn't hear any of it on any metal radio shows worth their salt, such as Destroyeerz (US) or Edd & Seán's Metal Show (UK)!
Quote by dio_dude
another Little Britain fan i assume?

Not really! That's been in use long before those two goons came on the scene!
Quote by LordNecro
pms on the other hand, a bunch of goons with carefully styled goatees will be stroking their chins, chortling with spiteful glee when your performance is human, rather than robotic.

power metal is just pop music with heavy guitars!

You wouldn't hear any of it on any metal radio shows worth their salt, such as Destroyeerz (US) or Edd & Seán's Metal Show (UK)!

You make mistakes sound like a good thing?
Quote by Shred Head
You make mistakes sound like a good thing?

You make power metal sound like a good thing?

LOL!

And yeah, I don't mind mistakes really, they add more character to music. Britney Spears has no mistakes in her music. And I have noticed some similarities between her last song and the entirety of Helloween's collected works!
Quote by LordNecro

LOL!

And yeah, I don't mind mistakes really, they add more character to music. Britney Spears has no mistakes in her music. And I have noticed some similarities between her last song and the entirety of Helloween's collected works!

If I wanted sloppy musicianship I'd go to local concerts. There's a reason professional bands are popular you know?
Quote by LordNecro

LOL!

Wow, looking at all of your posts, it seems that you don't know anything at all.

On topic, Jani Liimatainen of Sonata Arctica is a very skilled guitarist, so it's hard to find any solos that you will be able to play before before you have about 5 years of experience. He sweep picks like it's no one's business.

Try some Vision Divine, that might be what you're looking for.
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
Quote by SonataFanica
Wow, looking at all of your posts, it seems that you don't know anything at all.

On topic, Jani Liimatainen of Sonata Arctica is a very skilled guitarist, so it's hard to find any solos that you will be able to play before before you have about 5 years of experience. He sweep picks like it's no one's business.

Try some Vision Divine, that might be what you're looking for.

Thank you.

And Lord Necro, stop trying to be trv kvlt. IF you really were such a BM fan you wouldn´t even OPEN a thread about power metal.
May you burn in heaven milord, Hell is for heroes.
Oh by the way, I play black metal all the time. So stop trying to bring power metal down, I am not the biggest fan of power metal either, but I respect and look up to the talent power metal bands have.
Back to Cradle of Filth, poser.

Indeed, Jani is very skilled. I am now practising some 3 string sweeps, which sound okay. Have you got any tips on playing 2 string arpeggios?
I have now mastered Black Sheep by Sonata( took me an hour of practising for the whole song. No solos ( as you mentioned, not trying them until I have a tad more experience) , No leads except for the intro melody. Charming song, I must say.

By the way, I love your sig. Down with the gamemetal queers! DF was the first power metal band I heard, that's why power metal has a bad name for me.. Sonata and Rhapsody gave me hope again ^^ I like power metal nowadays.
Last edited by LordPino at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
take of your shirt and hit a power chord....power metal 101

Go to hell
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
take of your shirt and hit a power chord....power metal 101

Please, this is a topic asking for help, not for spam.
Go spam your own topics, if you do not mind.

That's formal English for F*ck off noob.
Quote by mortiis999
Wow this has turned hostile. You lot are so easy to troll.

I know. I asked for help and after a few comments I already had an angry poser BM fan xD.
That's gotta be worth a prize eh?
Have you tried to play the interlude? It's sort of complicated, but you should give it a run.
Quote by SonataFanica
Have you tried to play the interlude? It's sort of complicated, but you should give it a run.

Yeah, I have. I can play the rhythm section of it. The lead's a bit.. Complicated, indeed.
I can do it, but when I try to do it full speed I get sloppy. webmetronome.com , here I come. Oh by the way, that's a metronome that can do anything from 10 to 220 bpm
Last edited by LordPino at Dec 21, 2008,
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH It's Halloween. And black metal is dead
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by LordPino
Yeah, I have. I can play the rhythm section of it. The lead's a bit.. Complicated, indeed.
I can do it, but when I try to do it full speed I get sloppy. webmetronome.com , here I come. Oh by the way, that's a metronome that can do anything from 10 to 220 bpm

Victoria's Secret is also a good rhythm guitar sort of song as well.
Fullmoon by Sonata Arctica was one of the first songs I tried to learn, and after almost 1 year I'm still trying to get the speed for the first fast part of the solo, it's really helped me though, not just with Power Metal but with most metal.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Quote by LordNecro

LOL!

So your saying Helloween's walls of jericho sounds like britney spears? I bet you are one of those people who judge power metal from listening to dragonforce and thinking since they're the most known, they must be the best power metal band, though you probably like dragonforce because they make mistakes, don't you?

I was thinking of learning black sheep sometime soon as well, the intro sounds so awesome. I'd recommend Stratovarius's cold winter nights, the solo doesn't sound too hard.
Quote by SonataFanica
Victoria's Secret is also a good rhythm guitar sort of song as well.

What?

TS, you should also work on rhythm exercises and the like with a metronome. PM stuff needs a really steady and fast picking hand.
Lol, you guys troll like a dream. You're right of course, I am a poser. I only like BM like Marilyn Manson or Linkin Park. I do own 7 Cradle of Filth t shirts and in all honesty, I'd rather listen to Trivium.
Page 1 of 2