ive been playing for about 3 years now and i havent been able to get this down, maybe its because i get really discouraged, the problem is no matter how slowly i practice it and no matter how i hold my hand it sounds sloppy and uneven, its really annoying, the thing is for some reason the top 3 strings for me are easier to pick than the bottom 3 so i cant get it even, i try chaning my hand position but it doesnt seem to work, is there a certain hand position i need to get it so all of the strings require an equal amount of effort to pick so you can do it easily, its really frustrating me because i see people mastering sweep picking in months and its not coming to me at all.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
SLOW DOWN.

i started with three string sweeps, and im only just learning how to do 5 string. slowly. and ive been playing for about 1 and a half years
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
There isn't a magical trick to it. Just practice slow and eventually you will develop good technique, that is when you increase the bpms
Well, no one here can magically pick up a technique.
Alot of people who say it took months, or have only been playing for a few months/a year that have 'perfected' it are exaggerating.

It took me around a year and a half to get sweep picking down to a standard I'm happy with, and that's nowhere near what most people describe as perfect, my lead playing in general is a little sloppy but I'm happy with it.

Just slow down, play each arpeggio slowly untill it's second nature, you'll hear this alot; but play along with a metronome slowly increasing speed.

Try tapping out the arpeggios without picking them (Like when you're learning a chord, which is basically what an arpeggio is, except with the notes seperated.), to get to learn them. Then concentrate on the sweep part.

Chromatic finger excersizes might help aswell, to strengthen the fingers, again. Slowly with a metronome and build up speed. This will make your playing much much much cleaner, and will help somewhat with playing the sweeps cleanly.

That's all I can really be bothered to write, if you need any other help with this or whatever, feel free to PM me about it.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Just be patience and practise slowly. I also got a bit frustrated in the beginning when i started to practise sweeping but i stuck to it and it payed off. And all i really can say is practise sweeping slowly, that is SLOWLY. If you rush into it and go off to fast it will be sloppy. People can give you advice on hand positioning and stuff but in the end it all comes down to what you feel is the best way of holding your pick, placing of your hand and so on.
stop trying too hard!!!

Slow down, do all those finger excercises you hear about, and just keep trying it... You learn by doing... over and over again.

Some people pick it up the first week, and others take years to do. I have ehh, about 5 years under my belt now, and i started to learn them my second year, and now i've got 'em all flawless, however, i still find some trouble with the diminished 5 string sweeps.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Here's what I did:

1) I downloaded the gp file for Pslams of lydia by Nevermore
2) slowed the tempo half way
3) Practiced until I mastered it
4) Increased tempo by 5
5) Practiced until I mastered it

Repeat 4 and 5 and keep increasing the tempo by 5.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
ithe thing is for some reason the top 3 strings for me are easier to pick than the bottom 3 so i cant get it even,

It sounds like you have fundamental problems with both picking and practice that I
wouldn't even attempt to try figuring out here.

The REASON for picking slowly is to discover what the details are of what you're trying
to do, where you are going wrong, and what to do about them. Clearly, you have a
problem and either the things you've tried don't work, or you're trying the same things
over and over. The solution lies somewhere else. By calmly exploring the "problem
space" you'll find the solution. Anger & frustration get you nowhere.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
ive been playing for about 3 years now and i havent been able to get this down, maybe its because i get really discouraged, the problem is no matter how slowly i practice it and no matter how i hold my hand it sounds sloppy and uneven, its really annoying, the thing is for some reason the top 3 strings for me are easier to pick than the bottom 3 so i cant get it even, i try chaning my hand position but it doesnt seem to work, is there a certain hand position i need to get it so all of the strings require an equal amount of effort to pick so you can do it easily, its really frustrating me because i see people mastering sweep picking in months and its not coming to me at all.

dude, what you want to do is study the masters

go on youtube, look at some player that sweeps ex. Jeff Loomis, Chris Broderick, Francesco Fareri, Petrucci, Theodore Ziras, paul gilbert.

here is Ziras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4F3JZaIe4

find the rest of it yourself.

the purpose of watching those players is to get a good idea of what the right hand should look like, use a mirror, just practice using that motion across all six strings (don't even worry about speed, consistency is what matters here, once you find your perfect right hand technique, the left hand is all a matter of muscle memory, once again (this time you have to do it really slow) memorize the shapes of the major, minor and diminished shapes. (psm, potential sweeping motion)

in my opinion, based on the videos ive watched, you hands should either be stationary(not anchoring though) or it should be floating across all six strings, the end goals here is the streamline your motions.

second, you might find this technique to work as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYB1oVjAO6s

once you find your right hand position and your left hand can keep up, use a metronome and playing at a speed where you can play perfect without impulsing (not too slow as some would tell you) but EVEN, if you can get the even, then once you speed up, none of the notes will be lost, quoting the video "solid feel 1,2,3,4"
Evenness, consistency, muscle memory, streamlining of motions, those are the foundations that will get you to a higher bmp on your metronome.

some bad examples would be herman lee in his instructional video, wow, horrible!!!
hiding behind the fuzz, MAAANNNN!!!!
Last edited by howfreeisthis at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by howfreeisthis
dude, what you want to do is study the masters

go on youtube, look at some player that sweeps ex. Jeff Loomis, Chris Broderick, Francesco Fareri, Petrucci, Theodore Ziras, paul gilbert.

here is Ziras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4F3JZaIe4

find the rest of it yourself.

the purpose of watching those players is to get a good idea of what the right hand should look like, use a mirror, just practice using that motion across all six strings (don't even worry about speed, consistency is what matters here, once you find your perfect right hand technique, the left hand is all a matter of muscle memory, once again (this time you have to do it really slow) memorize the shapes of the major, minor and diminished shapes. (psm, potential sweeping motion)

in my opinion, based on the videos ive watched, you hands should either be stationary(not anchoring though) or it should be floating across all six strings, the end goals here is the streamline your motions.

second, you might find this technique to work as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYB1oVjAO6s

once you find your right hand position and your left hand can keep up, use a metronome and playing at a speed where you can play perfect without impulsing (not too slow as some would tell you) but EVEN, if you can get the even, then once you speed up, none of the notes will be lost, quoting the video "solid feel 1,2,3,4"
Evenness, consistency, muscle memory, streamlining of motions, those are the foundations that will get you to a higher bmp on your metronome.

some bad examples would be herman lee in his instructional video, wow, horrible!!!
hiding behind the fuzz, MAAANNNN!!!!

the first video is interesting, i always thought what i was doing (using my wrist for sweeping) was wrong but the fist guy has a very similar sweeping technique to me and has it down

another problem. i can sweep without being plugged in but as soon as i use distortion it becomes a mess, how do i properly mute without messing up my technique
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
There's no reason for this thread. There's a whole sticky for sweeping. Read it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
the first video is interesting, i always thought what i was doing (using my wrist for sweeping) was wrong but the fist guy has a very similar sweeping technique to me and has it down

another problem. i can sweep without being plugged in but as soon as i use distortion it becomes a mess, how do i properly mute without messing up my technique

don't lock the thread yet.....

left hand, the finger tips must learn to mute the string above it, the strings below is muted with the left hand's upper part of the palm or fingers. Sometimes if you play really accurately with the right hand, then messing up/string noise shouldn't be a problem.

this way, you will get a non-palm muted sound.

if you have any further questions, feel free to pm me....
Can I be completely blunt?

There's two huge ****ing threads on this stickied, with around 20 relevant pages of info and a good 20 minutes of relevant video. GO THERE.

That said, Fallout 2 .