I tried it the other day and it sounded really ****ty, is that just my gear or is it not advisable to use a wah pedal on clean setting?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

my wah sounds quite nice on clean...
what wah do you have?
Fender 70s series Stratocaster
Vox V847A wah
Boss BF-3
Ibanez TS-9DX
maybe you still suck at using it?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
considering that funk music often uses a wah on a clean setting, i'd say it's just the wah.
I think wah's sound better on clean than with distortion
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
You may want to change your clean tone, wah essentially adds loads of high then takes it away as you rock the pedal back and forth, so you may want to start playing around with that before you run out and buy a new pedal/amp/guitar.
Not if his clean tone is gash to begin with.

Canny polish a jobie.

(Probably is a poo pedal though)
well thats a pretty unanimous opinion. I agree it probably is my pedal it was a £45 cheapy one from the local music store.
Think I may need a new one, any idea where I can a pretty cheap half decent one?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

good wahs are expensive, its hard to get around that.

The cheapest GOOD one I can think of is the BYOC. But even then, its $150 USD and you'd still have to assemble it.
Quote by al112987
good wahs are expensive, its hard to get around that.

The cheapest GOOD one I can think of is the BYOC. But even then, its $150 USD and you'd still have to assemble it.

I disagree.

I've a/b'd a V847 with a Fulltone Clyde, and the difference was so minuscule it was unremarkable.

As long as it has good bypass, a V847 or an Original Crybaby is fine, especially with clean tones.

I bet it's not a good clean tone to begin with.
Quote by imgooley
I disagree.

I've a/b'd a V847 with a Fulltone Clyde, and the difference was so minuscule it was unremarkable.

As long as it has good bypass, a V847 or an Original Crybaby is fine, especially with clean tones.

I bet it's not a good clean tone to begin with.

Well, idk about that, I've owned a v847 and an original crybaby and had my issues with them both. I prefer the Vox's buffered bypass but outside of that, it was pretty much a wash. If you mean they both get you a wah-wah sound, then yes, but I disagree very much about the difference being minuscule. After diddling around with a Teese Picture wah (RMC4) for a while I can't even go back to using a Crybaby or v847. First reason is that neither the Crybaby or Vox play nice with fuzz pedals, particularly Ge transistor fuzzes, second, neither has the vocal quality of a Clyde McCoy wah (though this is preference I guess), but the biggest differences are in how usable they are. If you're not rocking the pedal, both the Crybaby and Vox are completely unusable in any position outside of the toe down position. Even being used as a treble boost the Vox and Crybaby in particular were extremely harsh and feeble sounding on the top end. If you use a wah like a Fulltone or Teese, you'll find a bunch of usable tones all throughout the sweep, not to mention a sweet spot in the middle where you can really get a tone very close to the original bypass. Not to mention the smoother sweep and more vocal quality.
I still disagree.

FWIW, the V847A is true bypass, and it works well with my fuzz and I can get usable tones throughout the sweep.