Probably yes.
63 13%
Probably no.
38 8%
Idk.
53 11%
Voters: 478.
Page 1 of 5
degrading, any schmuck with a $100 dollar squire and the internet is a "musician" all of a sudden
If all you listen to is mainstream music, then no.

There is a bunch of good music out there. You just gotta look harder.
Music today... The Rock Scene is probably degrading, but new type of music will come.

It seems like Rock is becoming smaller and smaller. Think about it. When Hip Hop wasn't around, Rock was the biggest music-genre. All new "Popular" bands are usually classed Pop/Rock, which is a reason not to listen to it. The old Rock-Metalbands are making less good music.

Music evolves all the time, but it changes.
DeVillains!
Yes

/thread
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
There is good music out there today. Most popular music is degrading FAST though. Thanks Soulja Boy and Lil Wayne!
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
It's way too sunny and warm here today to listen to black metal, I shall bookmark it and come back when the weather is worse.
Some is evolving, some is degrading.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Mainstream music = sucking like never before.
other music = evolving and creating new things all the time.
Country Music = Same as it always was and I love it.

Quote by Sever_the_Skull
^ i cum blood response not even close to funny

/Life
drunk ****...
Eat this, today's music-lovers!
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
popular music is degrading. progressive music is evolving.

/thread
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Rock music is of poorer quality, imo. Apart from Experimental, Neo-Psychadelic and Progressive.
its evolving, degradation is a form of evolution, this is real life evolution, not pokemon evolution.
Quote by jonnyrotten45
of course, we start talking about pizza, and end talking about putting our dicks in various objects, god bless the pit

Quote by lee 31392
I fapped over Louis Walsh.

Metal sucks
mainstream pop music has always sucked, all of those bands you listen to from the 60s-90s where just a small minority of what was actually popular at the time (and some of them weren't even that popular)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Mainstream rock/metal - degrading

Most metal - Evolving

EDIT: Also, progressive music is always evolving, it wouldn't be progressive if it was degrading.
Last edited by Sylvanus at Dec 20, 2008,
well the standards of pop music have definatly slipped in the past few years, theres never anything good or original in the chart
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <genre> is evolving so much and <genre> is so shit lol!', but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas. None of us have been alive long enough to see any advance in music, only advance in music technology.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
It is doing both.

Whats popular usually sucks. Stuff like Lil Wayne especially suck. But better types like Electronica, Alternative Rock, and Metal are evolving and getting better.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I can't even stand maintstream rock anymore. I haven't heard a catchy riff in forever. Every mainstream rock song today starts with a piano intro and is being sung by an American Idol finalist. Metal is evolving though.
Proud owner of a Les Paul
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <genre> is evolving so much and <genre> is so shit lol!', but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas. None of us have been alive long enough to see any advance in music, only advance in music technology.

Actually, electronic music has evolved significantly, especially through the 90s, not just in terms of technology but also the ideas used and whatnot. Same thing with a lot of metal.

of course the one major thing that's detrimental to the evolution of music is people who want bring back either blues rock or hair metal, those people can go to hell.

Last.fm
No, but people who appreciate music have gotten worse. You either get musicians who who will settle for no less than total mindless technical wankery, or teeny boppers who love anything with a cute face and annoying music. It's impossible to judge today's music as a whole, because pop radio music is only the surface.

I'll take a bold step by saying, however, music like Britney Spears is a leap forward from "classic" nonsense like AC/DC. I don't care how "big" they were or how many songs they've made about rock and roll. Britney Spears makes catchy, sexy music. AC/DC needs to realize what they do was never cool, and if for some reason people thought it was, it's not cool anymore. I can't stand classic rock elitists who think if it's older, it's better. You want old? 1970 isn't old, and the same old guitar hero bands aren't that good. Defenses on their popularity and record sales mean nothing in their defense, just look at Soulja Boy.

Another thing about today's music is the unearthing of the "underground" scene which seems to be getting worse and worse. Now "Indie" music is about following every guideline to be the perfect, minimalist Pitchfork Media dog. Oh look, folk music with silly covers! Last time I checked, "Indie" is nothing more than an abbreviation for "Independant." The good side of independant acts is the return of shoegaze and noise-rock bands. Hell, even Jesus Lizard is reuniting in 09.

Another thing people need to stop doing. Shut the hell up about how much you hate the Jonas Brothers. Unless you're 10 years old and female, you should have nothing to do with this band in the first place.
Nice banana, Andy Warhol.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Actually, electronic music has evolved significantly, especially through the 90s, not just in terms of technology but also the ideas used and whatnot. Same thing with a lot of metal.

of course the one major thing that's detrimental to the evolution of music is people who want bring back either blues rock or hair metal, those people can go to hell.

Don't make me laugh, there has been bollocks-all evolution in metal. Apart from the select few bands, it's like I said, the same chords, the same progressions, the same lyrics, and same melodies.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
Don't make me laugh, there has been bollocks-all evolution in metal. Apart from the select few bands, it's like I said, the same chords, the same progressions, the same lyrics, and same melodies.

how much metal do you actually listen to? folk metal was a major deviation when it started, so was a lot of the ambient stuff that came out in the mid-90s.

Last.fm
Quote by STFU_Nao
No, but people who appreciate music have gotten worse. You either get musicians who who will settle for no less than total mindless technical wankery, or teeny boppers who love anything with a cute face and annoying music. It's impossible to judge today's music as a whole, because pop radio music is only the surface.

I'll take a bold step by saying, however, music like Britney Spears is a leap forward from "classic" nonsense like AC/DC. I don't care how "big" they were or how many songs they've made about rock and roll. Britney Spears makes catchy, sexy music. AC/DC needs to realize what they do was never cool, and if for some reason people thought it was, it's not cool anymore. I can't stand classic rock elitists who think if it's older, it's better. You want old? 1970 isn't old, and the same old guitar hero bands aren't that good. Defenses on their popularity and record sales mean nothing in their defense, just look at Soulja Boy.

Another thing about today's music is the unearthing of the "underground" scene which seems to be getting worse and worse. Now "Indie" music is about following every guideline to be the perfect, minimalist Pitchfork Media dog. Oh look, folk music with silly covers! Last time I checked, "Indie" is nothing more than an abbreviation for "Independant." The good side of independant acts is the return of shoegaze and noise-rock bands. Hell, even Jesus Lizard is reuniting in 09.

Another thing people need to stop doing. Shut the hell up about how much you hate the Jonas Brothers. Unless you're 10 years old and female, you should have nothing to do with this band in the first place.

I disagree about the whole underground music thing. Underground punk is going better than ever these days, you've got huge scenes in Gainseville, Richmond, New Brunswick, Brooklyn, etc... There are so many good punk bands ranging from folk punk to pop punk to melodic hardcore, whatever. I'm not into a lot of underground alternative stuff but there is some good stuff coming out of Connecticut like The Book Slave and a couple other cool alternative bands. In my opinion underground music is at the best it's ever been but maybe that's because I'm not jaded and I'm living it.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
how much metal do you actually listen to? folk metal was a major deviation when it started, so was a lot of the ambient stuff that came out in the mid-90s.

Selecting the genre 'metal' in my iTunes gives me almost 2000 songs.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
The mainstream music is degrading fast and the underground stuff is evolving IMO.
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
Quote by StreetLight3989
I disagree about the whole underground music thing. Underground punk is going better than ever these days, you've got huge scenes in Gainseville, Richmond, New Brunswick, Brooklyn, etc... There are so many good punk bands ranging from folk punk to pop punk to melodic hardcore, whatever. I'm not into a lot of underground alternative stuff but there is some good stuff coming out of Connecticut like The Book Slave and a couple other cool alternative bands. In my opinion underground music is at the best it's ever been but maybe that's because I'm not jaded and I'm living it.

I displayed pros and cons of underground music. I talked about the return of noise-rock, which has a relation of a sort to punk acts before them. If you had payed closer attention, you would have noticed my main focus is the annoying Hipster scene.
Nice banana, Andy Warhol.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Selecting the genre 'metal' in my iTunes gives me almost 2000 songs.

that doesn't mean anything, you could have 10,000 metal songs, but if they where all from one or two sub-genres you'd still have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that doesn't mean anything, you could have 10,000 metal songs, but if they where all from one or two sub-genres you'd still have no idea what I'm talking about.

There's black, death, NWOBHM, rap, folk, symphonic, operatic, industrial, Thrash, Gothic, Power, and other stuff that I don't know what the hell you kids call.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Page 1 of 5