how did you learn to tune a guitar.

did it take long to get good at it
Hack up her body, put it in plastic bags, and dump it in the woods. This will get you a laugh 9 times out of 10.

So, how are your iPods and your games, and your $200 jeans this Christmas. I got a ceramic horse.

Exo M6

OWNED
It took me about 4 months to learn the sound of the E note by ear, and then after that tuning became easy.

If you know the sound of the E string, you can tune every other string.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Ive alwaysed used a tuner. But im starting to tune by ear a little more. it takes some time.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
ive still not got it mastered.. the hard part is getting the first string right, for me its bottom E, after ive got that i just use a familiar riff to get the other strings relatively tuned
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
i have huge ears
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Well, after nearly 3.5 years of playing, I've almost got perfect pitch. So, about 3 years and you're good!

But for a single string, best training you could probably do is use a tuner, tune it perfectly, and just memorize that sound. Could probably also de-tune it some, and see if you can tune it back to perfection.

EDIT: v you have the same colour guitar as I do! E-High five!
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Last edited by SchecterC-1+Man at Dec 20, 2008,
I can usually tell if my guitar is out of tune but I generally need a tuner to get the E string in tune. then I can do the rest by ear.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
I can use my ears all the time to tune, even when tuning after changing strings...

... but always ends up half a step down (Eb)..

I blame all the GN'R I listen too

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I still can't do it right. Of course I never took the initiative to do it because I've always used a tuner. But I can somewhat tune it right. It took me a while to listen to the overtones (I think that's what it is) and not the timbre of the strings.
Get the low E (6th string) in tune, its relatively simple from there on in. Just keep playing that E note constantly for 10 minutes every day. Youll eventually be able to recall that E in seconds making everything a hell of a lot easier. Play a natural harmonic on the 5th fret on the E string, and one on the 7th fret on the A string. the sound should wobble slightly. Adjust the tuning of the a string until the sound stops wobbling. Now these 2 strings are in tune to eachother. I usually do this, and then the 5th fret = next string method for the rest (bar the B string obv), and then check everything with a tuner.

Not using the tuner to tune, but to check the tuning is a good way to practice, as you really dont want to rely on it all of the time. Try and get the E in tune, then check. if its not, adjust it, and try with the A string. keep doing this for a few months and youll be awesome at tuning.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
It's damn near impossible to tune a Floyd Rose equipped guitar just by the E string (unless you have true perfect pitch), so I use a tuner. I can tune a hardtail by ear, but it takes a while lol.
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man

EDIT: v you have the same colour guitar as I do! E-High five!

OMG!!! *e-high fives back* It's a pretty sexy color.

on topic: I still find that using a good tuner is usually more reliable than tuning by ear. or at least double check with one.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
I use a tuner. Seriously, perfect pitch is no excuse to not use a tuner every chance you get (at least if your playing with other people)
If i am in a hurry and have it at hand i use a tuner, otherwise i know the sweet sound of the high E on my squier like nothing else hehe, the rest just comes up after that. :3
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P