Ok so I just spent most of today setting up all my amps, guitars etc in a newly cleaned out room in my house.

I'm now thinking of getting some kind of recording set-up in there (nothing fancy, just for ideas etc).

Anyway, I usually use Reaper on my computer to record, but the computer won't be in the music room. So right now I'm thinking of buying a cheap laptop with just enough memory and facilities to record via Reaper.

Is this the best idea? Can anyone suggest a cheaper or simpler alternative? Also how much would it cost to get a laptop with good enough specs for recording (I can use either a direct line in or a mic)?

Feel free to have any aspects clarified, I know that wasn't the clearest explanation. Thanks.
boss br600 with monitors of some sort would be better or a tascam 8 track portastudio
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by hans the lefty
boss br600 with monitors of some sort would be better or a tascam 8 track portastudio

screw that... He wants software he doesn't want to click a million buttons on a small lcd screen to copy something.

Just make sure the laptop is capable of doing what you need it to do and you need a good interface because plugging into your stock sound card never sounds that great and run your new interface off of asio and mess with the sample rates until it's right. I record on a high sample rate but sometimes lower it while mixing and playing it back.
it cheaper and better quality
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

Quote by hans the lefty
it cheaper and better quality

No it's not. A good recording interface would actually be on a professional level and into the computer in which you could edit your guitar riffs or whatever you are doing easily and add plug ins and effects much easier which are much higher quality than you'll find in a portable recorder.
Quote by hcsn2008
No it's not. A good recording interface would actually be on a professional level and into the computer in which you could edit your guitar riffs or whatever you are doing easily and add plug ins and effects much easier which are much higher quality than you'll find in a portable recorder.

Is it cheaper though? I mean if it's simpler to use and doesn't involve installing whole new programs then it should be fine.

I just need something I can quickly jot down ideas with and then possibly transfer into some kind of transferrable format to pass to other band members. If it's not too big could I not just take the portable recording thing and then get anything I record off it with my normal computer?

It's easy and cheapness rather than quality here (though obviously if it's £20 difference for better quality I'll go with that.
well he will need something simular to a mbox or a lexicon omega then monitors some extra ram for the laptop and then i would recomened sonar 7 or cubase

EDIT: i would recommend a br600 or a tascam portastudio for quickness and ease this is coming from a guy who has a college qualification in sound production
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

Last edited by hans the lefty at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by hans the lefty
well he will need something simular to a mbox or a lexicon omega then monitors some extra ram for the laptop and then i would recomened sonar 7 or cubase

Is it worth paying for cubase if I can use reaper for free though? My options are really laptop + reaper or something else. I'm not really looking to update to a non-free program (unless there's an exceptionally good reason to).
is it ease and quickness or quality and ability to sequence midi
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

Quote by hans the lefty
is it ease and quickness or quality and ability to sequence midi

Ease and quickness.

I'd like something simple that I can just sit, turn my amp on/plug my guitar in and record. Then turn what I record into an mp3/tape/CD etc so I can pass it to other people.

I'm not looking for anything TOO professional unless there's not too much of a price difference.
boss br600 if your in glasgow go to guitar guitar
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

I use cakewalk sonar. If you are looking for cheap then of course buyin ga boss br600 is going to be cheaper than buying a computer and a recording program plus interface. But if you are looking for pro recordings then you want to go with the computer and interface. But you said you aren't looking for pro so it won't matter.

I'd still use the computer just because it's so much easier and theres so much more you can do with it. makes it easier to write songs. As far as monitors go if you aren't looking to mix it and get pro results and you said you aren't then you won't need monitors. You could hook it into a stereo, computer speakers, or use headphones. Later on if you get into mixing and getting pro results you can buy some monitors.
ye just get some cans
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

Quote by hans the lefty
boss br600 if your in glasgow go to guitar guitar

So how does it work? I've seen it's got a memory card but can the information on that then be turned into an mp3 file? I have no experience with equipment like this so any help would be great.

EDIT: Cheapest laptop I've found is £279. Gak.co.uk lists the boss at £189.

So is there anything between these 2 price ranges that's even better? And I'll need reasons for why to splash out on the extra cost.
Last edited by Heavens_To_Hell at Dec 20, 2008,
boss br600 a printer cable and adaucity and the mp3 converter or a tascam

Tascam DPO2CF
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/multitracks_detail.asp?stock=08030314570528

boss br600
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/multitracks_detail.asp?stock=06053115002529
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

Last edited by hans the lefty at Dec 20, 2008,
You should get at least a 2GHz processor and at least 2GB of ram. You can get an interface for cheap and plug your guitar DI. Some interfaces come packaged with cubase for example.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
na to turn a laptop on then wait for it to load then wait for the program to load then to set up tjhe asio drivers it he would have 2 boss/tascam 8 tracks and a song
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

Quote by hans the lefty
na to turn a laptop on then wait for it to load then wait for the program to load then to set up tjhe asio drivers it he would have 2 boss/tascam 8 tracks and a song

huh?
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
maybe buy a sure sm57 to mic up the vk
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

moved
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
Ok so I just spent most of today setting up all my amps, guitars etc in a newly cleaned out room in my house.

I'm now thinking of getting some kind of recording set-up in there (nothing fancy, just for ideas etc).

Anyway, I usually use Reaper on my computer to record, but the computer won't be in the music room. So right now I'm thinking of buying a cheap laptop with just enough memory and facilities to record via Reaper.

Is this the best idea? Can anyone suggest a cheaper or simpler alternative? Also how much would it cost to get a laptop with good enough specs for recording (I can use either a direct line in or a mic)?

Feel free to have any aspects clarified, I know that wasn't the clearest explanation. Thanks.

Any entry level laptop made nowadays should handle multi-tracking music. And, no, Macs are not necessary. If it can run Vista, it can run any music software.

Just get a recording interface (M Audio Fasttrack, EMU 0202) and an SM57, and install Reaper on your laptop too (so transferring is easy...if you have an Internet connection, you can transmit them wirelessly through shared folders). The sound quality will be very good (better than line-in) and the device can double as a sound card.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I don't understand why no-one has pointed this out, but couldn't you just use a Multitrack recorder to record the basics, and then transfer those tracks onto your computer to mix them at a later stage?

That means you get best of both worlds - i.e, something that you can quickly jot some rough ideas down, AND something you can record some pretty bloody decent recordings with, if you wanted to. With the money you save, you could easily get some software for mixing/midi. (By the way, this is assuming that your current PC has a decent processor and RAM)

Anyway, i would go for the Tascam over the Boss. I've looked at both, and the boss looks so cheap and nasty - whereas the Tascam looked much more promising.

Hope this helps a bit?!
I are chav.
its actually the other way round
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

So you want to record your music on your computer and transfer it to mix it on the MTR? That doesn't make much sense.
I are chav.
You can mix all the music within your computer and skip the MTR. Those are really only useful if you get a band all together and it's impossible to get a computer. Otherwise, there are just so many advantages (editing after the fact, monitor mixes for each member) to having all the hardware in one place.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
That was what i suggested in the first place. But skipping the whole "buying a new laptop and saving £250". Using the recorder as a cheap and more portable option, with the possibilty of transporting the audio recorded on that to his Desktop for mixing.
I are chav.
Ok as a final point on the laptop:

What kind of memory/processing speed would I need to make it worthwhile?
Could I use my 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor to record with (ie mic into adaptor into soundcard) or would I need to buy an external mixer/recorder?