I like alotta old school punk and always thought the bassists always had the most raw up front tone ever. But I could never really figure out how they do it.
I know its gotta be a simple Bass and head+stack combo cause its punk right?
Lots of punk is the classic P bass + Ampeg Amp + Ampeg 8x10 + very aggressive pick attack combo

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Fender P bass and 8x10.

Edit: and don't forget the really sloppy technique
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Dec 20, 2008,
P is Punk
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
With the exception of Klaus Fluoride (dead kennedys) who used a Jazz and Mike Watt (who likes the sound of muddy Gibsons), the Precision bass is the king of punk basses. And yes, Ampeg is the amp manufacturer of choice. Overdriven to the absolute max.

Back when I played in a punk band, the bass player had a P-Bass and this really old Ampeg with a 1 x 12. The sound was dirty and very grinding. I don't think the wattage was much, but he constantly pushed it to the max.
So get a P bass a 200w Ampeg and turn everything to 11?
Would a Squire P Bass work?
Would give you a similar sound, but would'nt be as nice to play or sound as nice.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I have a P-Bass and an Ashdown ABM half stack and if I turn the grind about half way up and play with a pick it nails your classic punk tone.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
OK. So punk on a budget.

A P-bass of some type. Squier is fine.

I would avoid Ampeg, dispite the fact that it is the punk sound. The small combo versions sound nothing like the SVT-->8x10, there way overpriced, the are too quiet and quality is questionable.

I would just go for something with 10" speakers. For a tight, punchy sound.
Quote by AbTT
Would a Squire P Bass work?

Try the CV 50's and 60's p-basses and the Mike Dirnt sig...i played and like all of them...and they are all $300 or less
Quote by Captain Insano
OK. So punk on a budget.

A P-bass of some type. Squier is fine.

I would avoid Ampeg, dispite the fact that it is the punk sound. The small combo versions sound nothing like the SVT-->8x10, there way overpriced, the are too quiet and quality is questionable.

I would just go for something with 10" speakers. For a tight, punchy sound.

Yea, Ampeg isn't good until you get into their SVT line.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by AbTT

Yep that's about right! though I have a P+J set up on my ****ty cheap bass & I always have a bit of the J pick-up coming through makes it sound better IMO.

Also what do you mean by "Old School Punk" Like the stuff from the 70's/80's like Buzzcocks, the Clash, Ramones, SLF ect..... or just like early 90's like Greenday, Blink, Offspring etc.....
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.