Hey, I'm making an ibanez rg out of random parts ive found around, and Im about to put in a graphtech ghost floyd rose piezo. Would it also work to later install a fernandez sustainer on it? I know the ghost can use its battery to power active pickups, so i think it would be the same for a sustainer. Does anybody know how to do this?
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by spoonylove90

im not left handed i just have a mac btw.

Quote by NaivexLi
Yes...I named my penis Darth Vader.
It won't work unless you use normal pickups , no piezo , the sustainer works by reinjecting the electromagnetic output of the pickups , back into them , it will have no effect on a piezo device that is only susceptible to electrical charges.
^more or less.

besides, most people who have piezos also have magnestic pups.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by LeviMan_2001
yes it'd work! youd just have to put a regular magnetic pickup in it. Just learn how sustainers work and think about (the fernades units are insanely overpriced simple devices) then i suggest building your own rather than using the fernades thingy.

sorry that im thread-jacking,

got any links for how tos? im very interested!
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Kroaton
It won't work unless you use normal pickups , no piezo , the sustainer works by reinjecting the electromagnetic output of the pickups , back into them , it will have no effect on a piezo device that is only susceptible to electrical charges.

Actually it would work. Sustainers dont have anything to do with the pickups, they produce a magnetic field to vibrate the string. They can interfere with pickups though, thats why they usually replace the neck pickup.

TS, sounds like a good project!
Hah, of course I'm going to have magnetic pickups too. The setup is gonna be like a typical RG, with (potentially?) a nailbomb bridge, graphtech ghost floyd rose (with piezo), and some type of sustainer in the neck position. I would build my own, but i also want a neck pickup, and i like the fernandes sustainer, which i think has the sustainer AND a pickup in one. (But i saw a link about building sustainers ages ago, i'll look for it). THe main problem i have with it is wiring the piezo and sustainer together, since i only wanna use one battery. The sustainer also comes with a whole circuit board, any ideas how to wire that all in?

EDIT: here's a link for sustainer building, hope that helps!
http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-27249.html

and also i'll try to post pics once i get the ghost in, then hopefully more once i get a sustainer
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by spoonylove90

Quote by NaivexLi
Quote by bobbynogo
Hah, of course I'm going to have magnetic pickups too. The setup is gonna be like a typical RG, with (potentially?) a nailbomb bridge, graphtech ghost floyd rose (with piezo), and some type of sustainer in the neck position. I would build my own, but i also want a neck pickup, and i like the fernandes sustainer, which i think has the sustainer AND a pickup in one. (But i saw a link about building sustainers ages ago, i'll look for it). THe main problem i have with it is wiring the piezo and sustainer together, since i only wanna use one battery. The sustainer also comes with a whole circuit board, any ideas how to wire that all in?

EDIT: here's a link for sustainer building, hope that helps!
http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-27249.html

and also i'll try to post pics once i get the ghost in, then hopefully more once i get a sustainer

oh!!! i understand how it works now! thats insanely simple, so thats what the fernandez is? or is it different?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

well, fernandez has the alternate modes on theirs, like the 3rds/5ths/whatever they call it, i cant remember. But basically all they do is have a battery vibrate the strings a certain way so they keep playing
Quote by HomerHitter

Quote by spoonylove90

Quote by NaivexLi
Quote by bobbynogo
well, fernandez has the alternate modes on theirs, like the 3rds/5ths/whatever they call it, i cant remember. But basically all they do is have a battery vibrate the strings a certain way so they keep playing

so none of that crazy high pitched crap?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

the crazy high pitched crap comes from alternate modes on the sustainer, not the normal sustainer. if you made your own you would only get a sustainer, not any controlled feedback/harmonies
Quote by HomerHitter

Quote by spoonylove90

Quote by NaivexLi
Quote by bobbynogo
the crazy high pitched crap comes from alternate modes on the sustainer, not the normal sustainer. if you made your own you would only get a sustainer, not any controlled feedback/harmonies

awesome, thanks.
all im interested in is the sustaining.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

If any off you would mind documenting a bit and not answearing from your ass you'd know that the the diy sustainer dosn't sustain the b or low e strings and dosn't feature a blend mode or octave up.
And the fernandes sustainer replaces your neck pickup with a fake pickup that acts like a driver for the sustainer, it's not a real neck pickup.
If you wanna use a neck pickup with the sustainer you'll be getting alot of feedback from it.
Also try buying a Sustainiac , they are alot cheaper second hand , and the fernandes is basicaly a licensed Sustainiac.
Last edited by Kroaton at Dec 21, 2008,
I would try the sustainiac, but i heard that its an active pickup when not in use, and i dont want to have active pickups, a piezo (run by a 9volt battery) and a sustainer all crammed in my guitar.
Quote by HomerHitter

Quote by spoonylove90

Quote by NaivexLi