dude it's a bass. Personally i have no idea, just thought i'd mention that.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
Practice you mother****er. If you use a pick, practice alternate or economy picking. If you use yer fingers, maybe add a third finger? Mostly, play as much as you can.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Dec 20, 2008,
Use a metronome. Start slow, and once you feel confident and you can pick out the notes so it doesn't sound like a heap of mess is coming out of your amp, take it up a few bpm. It maybe boring, but it's the best way to increase your speed.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Theres a thing called practice, have you heard about it?
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Ya but you can practise wrong
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by loginer
you can use 3 fingers too

that's what she said...

just practice dude, and if you're using a pick, don't
Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down.

And that is how you do it.
About practicing with a metronome - although I've read countless posts about how it is the best way to build up speed, whenever I sit down to do it I'm utterly lost. Could somebody either explain it well or post a video demonstration type thing? It might be appreciated by more than just me.
Quote by aguacateojos
About practicing with a metronome - although I've read countless posts about how it is the best way to build up speed, whenever I sit down to do it I'm utterly lost. Could somebody either explain it well or post a video demonstration type thing? It might be appreciated by more than just me.

Start slow, play straight 8ths or 16ths. Slightly increase speed when you have it down. Rinse and repeat. Go back to slower tempos every now and again. Incorporate into your practice regime.

There really isn't much to get. I recommend including this with the spider exercise, because there's no point playing fast if you can't move your fretting hand or string skip to speed.
Quote by Stingray5
just practice dude, and if you're using a pick, don't

No! Use a pick if you want to, he's just ignoraant
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
i agree with starting slow. it may seem strange but think of it this way. you can only play things fast if you can play them slowly perfectly.

speed is the by-product of accuracy. remember it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
i agree with starting slow. it may seem strange but think of it this way. you can only play things fast if you can play them slowly perfectly.

speed is the by-product of accuracy. remember it.

x

I say keep going back to slow, because it's good practice to keep good time across the board- you may be a machine when it comes to speed, but the only way to stay good at keeping time is to practice at all speeds.
Techniques don't make you faster, practice does.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Stingray5
and if you're using a pick, don't

Ignore that entirely.
Keeping it real since '92
What I don't get is... am I playing on the clicks? On the clicks and the spaces?

Ah, noobish questions are beautiful.
Quote by aguacateojos
What I don't get is... am I playing on the clicks? On the clicks and the spaces?

Ah, noobish questions are beautiful.

It depends what you're practicing. If you're in 4/4, playing 16ths, then play 4 notes per every click. 2 notes if you're playing 8th notes, play 2 to each click, and so on.
Some metronomes have these divisions built in, practice with and without.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

The metronome is the beat, it keeps time for you, keeping you solid. Imagine it as a drummer that never screws up

EDIT:

Also, I discovered this cool exercise not long ago.

Place your index finger on the G, and pluck the note. Then as quickly as you can with your middle finger mute that string, do it slowly, noticing how you can mute it as fast as possible. This cuts down the time your fingers spend dangling in mid air. You shouldn't be waving your fingers all over and smacking them down on the string. With this exercise you will develop the habit of your fingers never being more than a cm from whatever string you're playing.

Practice that on all strings, up and down. It may not seem like much but it really helped me develop plucking speed by cutting down on wasteful motion.
Last edited by Froggy McHop at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by Froggy McHop

Place your index finger on the G, and pluck the note. Then as quickly as you can with your middle finger mute that string, do it slowly, noticing how you can mute it as fast as possible. This cuts down the time your fingers spend dangling in mid air. You shouldn't be waving your fingers all over and smacking them down on the string. With this exercise you will develop the habit of your fingers never being more than a cm from whatever string you're playing.

Practice that on all strings, up and down. It may not seem like much but it really helped me develop plucking speed by cutting down on wasteful motion.

Was that from Talk Bass?
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by Mayano
Was that from Talk Bass?

Yeah, I think it was. It's the only other bass site I frequent other than this.
Quote by Captain Insano
Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down, Up, down.

And that is how you do it.

To TS, as you're more accurate your speed will increase.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Start by trying to learn a fast song that you like and think is good, practise slow and slowly increase the speed.

In my opinion its better to train on a song that you want to learn.