I have the rack version of the decimator and it's always done a great job of cleanin up my signal with all the amps ive had. I recently got a 5150 and a different guitar with EMG'S and i put a tubescreamer in front. i have the drive on the tubescreamer almost all the way turned down and the gain on the head pretty low (around 3-4). but i have to turn the decimator threshold up about 3/4 of the way to keep it from feeding back while playing, and when i do palm mutes or harmonics they cut out really quickly and theres no sustain. With every other head ive had i just needed to have the decimator threshold about halfway up and id have no feedback and still a load of sustain. If anyone has any suggestions please help me out, thanks!
how close are you standing to the amp, and how loud is it? i have all the above equipment, i can probably offer some help...i personally was never a fan of EMG's because no matter what model pickup or what guitar i had them in i've always had problems with feedback
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Usually around 10 feet or so away. the volume on my 5150 opens up at around 3 or so and i usually have it around 3 or 4. i play a lot of quick picking and staccato stuff and when i mute the strings while playing it always makes a quick squealing sound. but once i turn the threshold high enough to cut that out i get no sustain and my palm mutes die out almost immediately.
I actually had your problem for a second. I retubed my amp with some brand name tubes and it just completely went away. Really weird. Sorry that's the best info I got for you but it really did work.
i was thinking it had to do with the power tubes maybe, because they seem kinda weak to me. most 5150s/6505s ive played on get REALLY loud around 2 or so on the post gain and mine doesnt get that loud til im at around 4 or 5 on mine, could that be the tubes as well?
yes that could be the tubes, get some new ones and check back with us
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
the gain at 3-4 on a 5150 is like having it at 6-7 on most heads. so with EMG's and a tubescreamer, its no suprise that your getting tons of feedback.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
If it's a regular 5150 then it has a low gain input, try that instead of the high input.
I would also try swapping some preamp tubes. Particularly the V1 and lead channel gain spot.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
yeah dude i would switch your toobs.
my head is playable no louder then 2 in my bedroom, and i havent put it past 5 at a gig, that was a gig with 1000 people and was outside too....its gotta be your tubes
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010