My friend gave me a 6600GT that I installed last night. I've disabled all the onboard graphics drivers on my machine and installed the latest NVIDIA drivers for my new card. The machine is recognizing my new card, however it's not allowing me to use it. Here is what I'm getting:

I've been working with this now for about 2 days. Any suggestions?
Quote by Stingray5
get a mac?

/epicfail
PSN: KevGuy47
------▓▓▓▓▓
----▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
----▒▒▒░░
--░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒
------░░░░░░░
----▒▒▒▒▒
--▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒
░░▓▓░░
░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░
░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
----▓▓▓----▓▓▓
--▒▒▒--------▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒--------▒▒▒▒
Quote by Stingray5
get a mac?

You're a huge help. He can fix everything now.

My guess is that you need to remove the old drivers, not just disable them
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Quote by Konkordmusk
You're a huge help. He can fix everything now.

My guess is that you need to remove the old drivers, not just disable them

I did run the Driver Cleaner Pro and it seemed to clear out all the old NVidia 7050 crap. The problem is when I reboot they just get reinstalled (I think).
I would say remove the card and uninstall the old drivers. Install the NVidia drivers and make sure they are the right ones. Restart and install the card. Make sure the monitor cord is plugged into the graphics card.

If it still doesn't work look up older drivers for that card.

If anything try fire. That usually works.
Quote by wigzwamz
i made my cat give me a blowjob..... it sucked i have giant bite marks on my fap stick .....

I don't know how two girls could have sex... Unless they scissor or something
Quote by drewfromutah
My friend gave me a 6600GT that I installed last night. I've disabled all the onboard graphics drivers on my machine and installed the latest NVIDIA drivers for my new card. The machine is recognizing my new card, however it's not allowing me to use it. Here is what I'm getting:

I've been working with this now for about 2 days. Any suggestions?

www.nvidia.com

download drivers

EDIT: even made it easy for you

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/178.24/178.24_geforce_winvista_32bit_english_whql.exe
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
You may need to go into the bios and disable the onboard graphic card from there.

You usaully press Del or something like that when booting up, find the menu that say's "disable onboard video" or whatever and disable it.

Or you may need to do a little research and find out if your motherboard/ bios need's the AGP/ PCI configured.

Im guessing your 6600GT will be AGP and at the moment windows will be looking at the PCI bus/ slot for the video card, becuase usaully onboard video cards are routed through this bus.

If you need anymore help just PM on my profile.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by drewfromutah
Come on man. I did download the latest drivers.

I'm a noob, but i'm not retarded!

are you sure you downloaded the right ones?
Quote by musical donkey
^ to above, Nvidia drivers are unified, one install for all drivers.

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Daniel8488
You may need to go into the bios and disable the onboard graphic card from there.

You usaully press Del or something like that when booting up, find the menu that say's "disable onboard video" or whatever and disable it.

Or you may need to do a little research and find out if your motherboard/ bios need's the AGP/ PCI configured.

Im guessing your 6600GT will be AGP and at the moment windows will be looking at the PCI bus/ slot for the video card, becuase usaully onboard video cards are routed through this bus.

If you need anymore help just PM on my profile.

if he's on boardcard was enabled he'd probably just get errors on boot up cause you can't have 2 cards active at once.. or something like that.
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by Stingray5
get a mac?

macs are for metrosexuals

simple google search of the error code found this

We have rated Error Code 31 as easy to repair. Simply download the RegCure registry repair tool below to begin. We also recommend a SpyWare scan as well as updating all your system drivers using the handy scans below.

from http://free.pc-error-repair.org/error/library/Error-Code-31.html?gclid=COr5vayw0JcCFQpuGgodkW4RCg
woah... my drivers are out of date >.<

i should use windows more often
Quote by musical donkey
Yea you cant have two onboard video cards running to display at once, but you can have two video cards deteced on the system at once.

What is your motherboard model?

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Daniel8488
Yea you cant have two onboard video cards running to display at once, but you can have two video cards deteced on the system at once.

well one can't be detected if it's turned off :P
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by Daniel8488

It's a PCCHIPSX P55G.

I'm cleaning all the reg. crap right now. Somehow I doubt this is going to fix it.
"Some of the PCChips boards have no way to disable the onboard video, but they are 'multimonitor' capable - you usually have to enable "PCI VGA Palette Snoop" in the Bios. Also, if it's onboard AGP graphics, you have to set the primary display adapter to PCI in the bios"

You could try that, it's been too long since ive dont anything like this, so i cant really help much more.

One other thing, is you could into device manager and right click the old video card and disable it and then try installing some fresh Nvidia drivers

EDIT: Upon re-reading that, if you enable PCI VGA palette snoop, if you have the option, you should be able to have the onboard and 6600GT running together and just plug your monitor into the 6600GT

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Daniel8488
"Some of the PCChips boards have no way to disable the onboard video, but they are 'multimonitor' capable - you usually have to enable "PCI VGA Palette Snoop" in the Bios. Also, if it's onboard AGP graphics, you have to set the primary display adapter to PCI in the bios"

You could try that, it's been too long since ive dont anything like this, so i cant really help much more.

One other thing, is you could into device manager and right click the old video card and disable it and then try installing some fresh Nvidia drivers

The Palette Snoop is not an option in BIOS.

I've done the device manager thing about 20 times.

Really frustrating

I appreciate your help though!
Quote by customisbetter
Ok. The 7050 is onboard video. since windows isn't using the 6600, i guessing that you don' have the monitor plugged into the 6600Gt just the motherboard vga.

Check again.

If I plug my monitor into the 6600GT, I won't be able to see anything, because it's not enabled.
Update: trying to reinstall the drivers and I suddenly get this horse**** message

"Setup detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista
(32-bit). This setup program and its associated drivers
are designed to run
only on Windows Vista (32-bit). The installation will be terminated."

I'm 150,000% positive I have Vista 32-bit Ultimate. It even says so in my system info. WTF?
You don't have to disable the onboard graphics...

And it would help a lot if you told us if the 6600 (why the **** are you still using this anyway?) is AGP or PCI.
Quote by drewfromutah
If I plug my monitor into the 6600GT, I won't be able to see anything, because it's not enabled.

You are a noob.

YOU HAVE TO PLUG THE DAMN THING IN!!!

Then install drivers. Trust me. I have installed and unistalled dozens of video cards.
Quote by Freddedonna
You don't have to disable the onboard graphics...

And it would help a lot if you told us if the 6600 (why the **** are you still using this anyway?) is AGP or PCI.

All I need it for is WoW. It's a huge upgrade for the 7050. Moreover, it's free.

PCI-E.
Quote by customisbetter
You are a noob.

YOU HAVE TO PLUG THE DAMN THING IN!!!

Then install drivers. Trust me. I have installed and unistalled dozens of video cards.

Explain to me how I "plug the damn thing in" to a video card that isn't currently speaking with my monitor. I can't exactly navigate and install drivers on a black ****ing screen!
Then that means the card doesn't work man. Every card wether you have no drivers or a thousand will work when you first plug it in. The resolution will be tiny 800x600 ish. Then you have to manually adjust the resolution.

Are you sure the card even works? Were you careful about static discharge? Does the fan even turn?
go though Microsofts vista site and make sure they have your drivers supported for vista.

The 6600 is an old card, you may not have good enough vista drivers available...
Why not just go to newegg and spend $80 for a new card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130286

I run this on vista business and it is a very nice card for the price, and that's the older version of the link I posted above...
I will check those out. I was just going for a budget (free) build.

The fan spins fine. I was careful with the charge as well.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Dec 20, 2008,