So I was offered this guitar today, and I'm thinking about it. I've always wanted a JEM style guitar, it's an RG350 but the Edge III is gone, replaced with a Floyd Rose Patented double locking system, and the pickups in there now are two DiMarzio Evolutions and a DiMarzio Air Norton. Also all hardware is gold, white knobs etc.

I don't really know what to offer on the guitar though, I've never bought an already customised guitar before. Does it kill the price much?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Well, what did he want for it?
XBL-DeeSkank

Schecter C-1 Plus
Ibanez Gio GRX40

Kustom Coupe 36'

Fender AG-15
what does floyd rose patented mean? is it an actual schaller-made floyd rose original?

my big concern with buying anything second-hand which has been customised is that (a) they wouldn't necessarily have been my choice of upgrades so i don't see why i'd pay more for it, and (b) i'm always paranoid that it was a hatchet job done by a cowboy...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Could you tell just by looking?

I'm not really into Floyd Roses, I guess I know my Ibanez trems but that's it :/
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Floyd is a cheap Ebay copy that is just as bad as a the Edge III. Means the tuners probably are too. I would say $250 for the guitar, as market value for these is around $200 stock.
i agree with Dave, when buying a second hand guitar that is modded you have to make sure it was done properly and no bodgy...you know want the guitar ****ing up in 6 months time.

The guitar looks sweet though..
can you get a close-up of the baseplate to the left of the low E saddle?

also a pic of the sustain block wouldn't hurt either. i'm not an expert on OFRs, by a long shot (), but with any luck i should be able to spot if it's an obvious fake.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well it seems much better than the 350 i used to own, i only hated it because of the trem though
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by CJRocker
Floyd is a cheap Ebay copy that is just as bad as a the Edge III. Means the tuners probably are too. I would say $250 for the guitar, as market value for these is around $200 stock.

oh, i didn't realise that. listen to CJ, he knows his stuff about Floyds.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Lame

How much would a good/genuine Floyd Rose be? To swap it. Or perhaps an Edge or LoPro, would they fit? Hmm.

Are the pickups any good, then?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
^Lame

How much would a good/genuine Floyd Rose be? To swap it. Or perhaps an Edge or LoPro, would they fit? Hmm.

IF you can find a used one somewhere, between $100-$150. A new one by Schaller, Floyd Rose would be around $220, probably worth it for gold. I don't know how much a Gotoh/Edge would be, but the Gotoh are the same thing and cost less. They are also reasonable used.
Quote by bornfidelity
^Lame

DiMarzio are a great pickup company and the Evolution and the Air Norton pickups are great!

A genuine Floyd Rose? I'm guessing you'll want the OFR model, they're roughly around $250 dollars if I remember correctly.
So the only added value are the pickups. Then I might just as well get a regular second hand RG350 somewhere, and a Schaller Floyd Rose and do the job myself. (the guy wants E650 for it, could talk it down to maybe 500, 550 but not anything below that, and I'm not convinced that's worth it).

Thanks for the quick replies..!
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
So the only added value are the pickups. Then I might just as well get a regular second hand RG350 somewhere, and a Schaller Floyd Rose and do the job myself. (the guy wants E650 for it, could talk it down to maybe 500, 550 but not anything below that, and I'm not convinced that's worth it).

That is insane for that guitar, I'm sorry... yeah, you would be better off doing the work yourself on a stock one. good luck!
Just get a gold gotoh. Costs only $150.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Just get a gold gotoh. Costs only $150.

but then he'd end up paying like 700 dollars for a 400 dollar guitar
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Oh, the guy just emailed me that it's a genuine Floyd Rose, and said he'd email me a picture of it closeup tomorrow.

(Also, maybe I should add that a hardshell case is included in the price.)
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
oh i didnt read the whole thread, bottom line is, if it goes above $500/600, just save your money and get an RG1570
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by bornfidelity
Oh, the guy just emailed me that it's a genuine Floyd Rose, and said he'd email me a picture of it closeup tomorrow.

(Also, maybe I should add that a hardshell case is included in the price.)

No way in hell it's genuine with that baseplate. Ask him for a picture of the Made in Germany stamp and ask him why it doesn't say Floyd Rose on it. Now if he recently put an OFR on it and it has one... that is a deal. But be sure it is that guitar that it's pictured on if that is the case, as the current one is not an OFR.
No effin way is that a real Floyd, CJ is right
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Floyd Rose pic he sent.

I'm not convinced but then I'm not sure of the differences between fake and real Floyd Roses so.

Who knows?

And how can you tell?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
It doesn't necessarily have to be fake that one but its not a real Floyd Rose in the sense that its not made by Schaller in Germany. It even says so in plain sight "Licensed under Floyd Rose patents" = not a real Floyd Rose but a licensed one. Now how good is that Floyd on there is up for debate. Many licensed Floyd are great. Gotoh, Ping, Jackson make good ones and the ones on Music Man guitars are great as well as the Edge trem on Ibanez guitars (except Edge III) and so on. Personally I'd pass on it because from the pictures it doesn't look that high of quality. I think one of the best ways to tell if a particular licensed Floyd is worth it is from its sustain block. If its got a good quality sustain block made out of good material and isn't some cheap light POS then its usually worth it.

Edit:

Just read the price he wants for it. For 650 Euros no way I would buy that
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Dec 21, 2008,
Ok. I'm going to offer him 400 eur, take it or leave it, if he doesn't I'm getting a second hand stock RG to pimp up myself.

This is why I love UG. THanks ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I'd get the second hand stock RG and make it your own
Well 400 would be a good deal since the pickups alone cost about 400. ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Yea 400 Euros could work but I don't think he'll bite. Good luck though hope it works out for you, keep us updated
Quote by ML_Guitar09
Lol, that says "licensed under Floyd Ross Patents"

It's fake.

No, its just the reflection of the flash. Nice try
Quote by DSOTM80
No, its just the reflection of the flash. Nice try

Are you sure? if you compare the 's' with the 'e' they look very similar. Like the e swoops back towards the left.
Quote by bornfidelity

just get a used 550/570/1550/1570. that'd be the sensible option, surely?

Quote by DSOTM80
It doesn't necessarily have to be fake that one but its not a real Floyd Rose in the sense that its not made by Schaller in Germany. It even says so in plain sight "Licensed under Floyd Rose patents" = not a real Floyd Rose but a licensed one. Now how good is that Floyd on there is up for debate. Many licensed Floyd are great. Gotoh, Ping, Jackson make good ones and the ones on Music Man guitars are great as well as the Edge trem on Ibanez guitars (except Edge III) and so on. Personally I'd pass on it because from the pictures it doesn't look that high of quality. I think one of the best ways to tell if a particular licensed Floyd is worth it is from its sustain block. If its got a good quality sustain block made out of good material and isn't some cheap light POS then its usually worth it.

Edit:

Just read the price he wants for it. For 650 Euros no way I would buy that

+1

if it says "licensed by", it's not an original floyd rose. If it were, by that logic my Ibanez Lo-Trs and Kramer trems are original floyds, and they patently are not. i'd avoid it- either the guy is an idiot (which doesn't bode well for how he's looked after the guitar), or else he knows what he's doing and is knowingly trying to gip you. Neither option would exactly make you feel to good about buying it.

agreed about the sustain block.

those musicman trems are gotohs, i think? they look identical to them, in any case (to the ge1996T).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
just get a used 550/570/1550/1570. that'd be the sensible option, surely?

Well, no, its about looks (the old game) as well. I basically want the guitar to be as stylish as a JEM. So. He was considering the 400, but he gave me a list of how much he had spent on it and it was quite alot, which is a neat selling trick. So I said hey man. leave out the case and we call it a deal.

I'm waiting in anticipation!

But I don't think the guy's an idiot, I always knew it was a FLoyd Rose Patented system, I just didn't know that meant it wasn't a real FR. Guess I am the idiot here :p
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
yeah, don't go for it.

the thing with the 550s etc. is that they're japanese-made (i.e. higher quality guitars), in addition to already having good trems...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its still a floyd rose, only licensed, floyd rose is the guy's/system name. If you're more concern with aesthetics, you're still better off getting a used 550 like dave mentioned, send it for refinishing.

Or, if you're still stubborn and wanting a similar JEM look, get an RG350 with a new gotoh LFR. buy used pickups from the net or somethin...
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, don't go for it.

the thing with the 550s etc. is that they're japanese-made (i.e. higher quality guitars), in addition to already having good trems...

The thing with the 550 is that, you can't buy it nowhere no more. Ofcourse I'd rather have one of those man

But the only one I could find in Holland or any country near me, is one with a maple fretboard (in Germany!). Hell no!

So maybe I'm just getting a black RG350 for 175eur second hand with a screwed up trem, put in a good one and then repaint the whole bloody thing.

No - I want a 550 now. I know so little about these guitars! What kinds are there besides the 350 and 550 that offer the white body and white-with-black-writing headstock? ^^

Edit: Edge tremolo and Wizard Prestige neck? These 550s are beasts man. I want one. *googles*

edit: most sexy RG ever

Except for the fretboard. But that's luthier-fixable. Hell I'm actually considering getting this vor 595eur. Hmm
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Dec 21, 2008,
yeah, get a 550/570. its specs are pretty similar to a jem, while the 350's aren't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?