Page 1 of 2
I recently obtained an Ibanez Iceman. Right now, it's been in my hands every day since then, and I've actually moved back to a Fender Frontman 15G AMP that came with my Strat because the Spider makes very little difference between my Strat and my Iceman. It's freaking amazing. Now, I've seen this a couple times on these boards that if you're going to spend X amount of dollars on a 'crappy' guitar, why not spend X amount of dollars on a 'decent' guitar. Unfortunately, typically in that price range you won't find exactly what you're looking for so you might as well customize it. Luckily, I like my Iceman enough to 'complete' it in a sense. And yes, I do intend to pour a good bit of money into it, but it's because I love it.

1: Remove all hardware
2: Sand it down for refinishing purposes
3: Get a 3rd pickup hole created
4: Get a Floyd Rose Tremolo System Routed through the Body
5: Rout 2 holes near the controls for an EMG AB Afterburner and a Killswitch
6: Finish it - I was thinking Dark Crimson with a sprinkle of black
7: Replace Fretboard
8: Install Floyd Rose
9: Install Pickups - EMG 85/60/81
10: Install the Afterburner and the Killswitch
11: Setup and everything else

And on the fretboard I would have custom inlays of different religious symbols, and the 12th fret would say "Pastafarian"

How does the community feel?
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
im jealous.
that would be amazing dude.
seriously
send me a picture of it when your
finished please!!!

and pastafarians rule
Quote by fearofthemark
A wild asshole appeared!

fearofthemark used GTFO

the june 09'er fled!

Rip Heavens Gate
:O ! sounds sexy, i dont see anything wrong with your plans, but remember that you'll need room for the batteries if you go with active pickups.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by Foxy Roxy

And on the fretboard I would have custom inlays of different religious symbols, and the 12th fret would say "Pastafarian"

cant wait for MOAR PICS
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
I would stick to 2 pickups if it were me, but it still sounds awesome dude. Go for it and also post pics up as you go!
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
That would be sexy, Just don't do something wrong because no one likes to see an Iceman in the bin, Unless your the person that finds it
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
It's probably going to start happening after christmas. As soon as I can start affording the parts. I'll definitely post pics.

So lets see:
Removing Hardware - 10-20 minutes
Sanding - 2 hours-4 hours
Routing - not sure, I'm not doing this myself because if I **** up... I **** up
Finishing - 2-5 days with occasional recoats
Fret Board - Again not sure, not doing this myself because I'm afraid I'll **** it up
Floyd Rose - See above
Pickups and electronics - 3-4 hours if I take my time

So I'm expecting this to be done in about a month or a month in a half?

Quote by skaterkevin87
:O ! sounds sexy, i dont see anything wrong with your plans, but remember that you'll need room for the batteries if you go with active pickups.

Thank you for reminding me that completely slipped my mind.

Edit: Prices:
$208 - EMG 81/85 Zakk Wylde Set (It'll save me 2 whole dollars!)
$105 - EMG 60
$180 - Floyd Rose FRB
$47 - EMG AB Afterburner Pick Up Booster Knob
$5 - Kill Switch

No idea how much the labor or paint will cost but the total for all the stuff by itself $572, $606 w/ tax. I'm expecting to spend about $200-300 for the routing and another $50-$100 for the Floyd Rose.

If anyone wants to offer up suggestions to help me afford it, I have a job, just I have to wait until I can AFFORD the stuff and anyone who knows anything that could help me, would be awesome.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Last edited by Foxy Roxy at Dec 20, 2008,
Problem: Unless you're routing for a single coil, You won't have room for a third pickup on a 24-fret Iceman. Everything else sounds cool, though.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by Foxy Roxy
Thank you for reminding me that completely slipped my mind.

Not a problem! That's what I'm here for.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by Rockingbird
Problem: Unless you're routing for a single coil, You won't have room for a third pickup on a 24-fret Iceman. Everything else sounds cool, though.
you might be able too, looking over at my bc rich warlock it has 24 frets and a floyd rose, it only needs 1/4" more room for another humbucker to fit. what you could do is move the bridge pickup closer to the floyd and maybe cut off the little part of fretboard wood that goes past the 24th fret. it would be a very tight fit though
You won't need to route for the afterburner switch or the killswitch. also, why a FR? Why not get a TK1 or something that doesn't require so much space?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Get a srat style trem with locking tuners.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
nice! are you trained to do inlays or are you getting them done by a professional?
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by Rockingbird

There is a good 4-5 inches between the pickups, and it's not 24 frets, 22.

Quote by bv310
You won't need to route for the afterburner switch or the killswitch. also, why a FR? Why not get a TK1 or something that doesn't require so much space?

Well, simply because I don't know what a TK1 is. I've used Floyds and they're better than most of the trems I've tried. And why wouldn't I need to route for the afterburner and the killswitch?

Quote by random_B-RAD
Get a srat style trem with locking tuners.

Why? Why not get a better tremolo system that allows the strings to go up and down in pitch?
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Remember you need to have a locking nut installed on the neck so it keeps the floyd in tune. Should look sweet. Wanna stick up some before pics?
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Quote by Foxy Roxy

Well, simply because I don't know what a TK1 is. I've used Floyds and they're better than most of the trems I've tried.

Why? Why not get a better tremolo system that allows the strings to go up and down in pitch?

A TK1, is a Trem King Vibrato, that is designed to replace an existing Strat Style Trem

They are the best Trem you can buy, because they don't have any of the issues, that every other Trem has.

1) Stays in tune
2) Intonation point doesn't change
3) Stays in tune even if you break a string
4) Stays in tune with drop tunings
5) Sustains better because it is a fixed bridge

It is a hardtail bridge, with the benefits of a Trem, if you can imagine that.

If your guitar doesn't have a Trem at the moment, then a TK3 would be better, as it has a smaller profile.

Trem King. Fixed bridge Vibrato.

I have one. They are amazing.
Quote by Azza Dutt
I would stick to 2 pickups if it were me, but it still sounds awesome dude. Go for it and also post pics up as you go!

i would stick with 2 pickups too, or else the wiring is like AWRAHWFAGWSERHRHJEWEQAWG, or maybe that's just cause i'm a noob at wiring but other than that it sounds good, i'm going to build me an iceman with a warmoth body & neck after i finish my custom strat and get me some money.
My Gear:

Ibanez GRG170DX
Crate GFX-1200H
Line 6 4x12 Cab with Celestion 60's
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff With Top Boost
BOSS Metal Zone
Quote by cup_on_shelf
i would stick with 2 pickups too, or else the wiring is like AWRAHWFAGWSERHRHJEWEQAWG, or maybe that's just cause i'm a noob at wiring but other than that it sounds good, i'm going to build me an iceman with a warmoth body & neck after i finish my custom strat and get me some money.

He's actually made me think up another good point. The routing for the Floyd, battery compartment and extra pickup is going to be removing a lot of wood, thus seriously effecting tone. The resonance of wire isn't that good so you want to keep the amount of wire minimal
Quote by saphrax

Quote by Azza Dutt
He's actually made me think up another good point. The routing for the Floyd, battery compartment and extra pickup is going to be removing a lot of wood, thus seriously effecting tone. The resonance of wire isn't that good so you want to keep the amount of wire minimal

Yea. I understand what you're saying but I think that maybe that removing some of the would could possibly help the tone I'm looking for. I think you might be comparing the tone I want to the tone of a Les Paul (boo) I'm looking for a nice metal sound. Something that when it can, it can be deep and chunky, and when it usually is, very high and tight. Obviously cutting out a good chunk of the wood would just decimate any hopes of a great chunky sound. More so I'm a lead guitarist. I don't necessarily need a heavy sound, when I need it hopefully it can do it.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
How has nobody noticed or said that he can't simply "replace the fretboard"?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333

Maybe because you can. I've seen people take the fretwire out and then chisel the frets off leaving only the maple. Then they sand it and put the new fretboard on.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
I seriously doubt he has a maple fretboard on an iceman.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333

Because... you can?

Edit: Ahh you beat meh.

Not it's not maple. I'm pretty sure the only company that makes their guitars with maple fretboards is Fender. (Someone feel free to look that up)
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Last edited by Foxy Roxy at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by chuckflan333
I seriously doubt he has a maple fretboard on an iceman.

No, but the neck is maple so he can chisel down to that then sand it then glue the new fretboard on.
Quote by saphrax

I guess it's possible, just a hell of a lot of work.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Yep. No one's debating that.
Quote by saphrax

ehh, probably better off keeping the original fretboard, i mean, is it REALLY worth a slight change in tone, maybe playability, for hours of work and the cost of inlays, re-fretting, the fretboard itself . . . think about it
My Gear:

Ibanez GRG170DX
Crate GFX-1200H
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
BOSS Metal Zone
I belive you can use steam to remove your fretboard. Theres a tutorial or two on project guitar.
But surely the water is really bad for the wood?
Quote by saphrax

Ya, if done wrong Im sure there would be some warping of the neck. Check out the project guitar tutorial.
Quote by livrockdie
I belive you can use steam to remove your fretboard. Theres a tutorial or two on project guitar.

even still, the cost of his custom inlays and refretting and glueing and finishing isn't going to be cheap, and using steam doesn't seem like the smartest idea i may be wrong though
My Gear:

Ibanez GRG170DX
Crate GFX-1200H
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
BOSS Metal Zone
Yea, the fretboard will probably be the last thing done to it, it's definitely not going to happen when I make all the changes to it. But while the rest of the guitar is going under it's cosmetic surgery, I will probably get the 12-22 frets scalloped.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
well, with all that wood gone, you lose sustain.

so i say, go for a Sustainer!

other than that, its sounding gooooood. =]
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Kai07
well, with all that wood gone, you lose sustain.

so i say, go for a Sustainer!

other than that, its sounding gooooood. =]

if he sticks with 2 pickups and just routes for the floyd he'll be fine, if you're talking about the scalloping, it doesn't reduce sustain all that much, the only really noticeable effects from it are increased playability.

pickups would probably cancel that out anyway, good ones, atleast.
My Gear:

Ibanez GRG170DX
Crate GFX-1200H
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
BOSS Metal Zone
It's not so much steam. You put a hot iron on the frets at the end of the neck for 5 or 10 mins.

It will loosen the glue, then you need something to wedge under the fret board, then move then move the iron, repeat.

Find a tutorial on it.
Quote by cup_on_shelf
if he sticks with 2 pickups and just routes for the floyd he'll be fine, if you're talking about the scalloping, it doesn't reduce sustain all that much, the only really noticeable effects from it are increased playability.

pickups would probably cancel that out anyway, good ones, atleast.

not scalloping, but for 3 pups? and 2 active? thats some lost wood, and Floyd Rose?
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
^he should probably be more worried about the fact that his guitar will sound like crap because of loss of wood more than the lack of sustain from loss of wood,

don't ruin an iceman, they're, they're . . . godly
My Gear:

Ibanez GRG170DX
Crate GFX-1200H
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
BOSS Metal Zone
Page 1 of 2