Ok, so I asked about this in the electric guitar forum and I didnt get too much help... I picked up an Ibanez RG170 (I know its not the greatest Ibanez but I like it and for $75 I couldnt pass it up) and Im really thinking about swapping the pickups in it... Im wanting to put a set of DiMarzio Evo's in it but Im not sure as to what type of single coil I should put in it... I want a DiMarzio as well for that position, and I did the pickup picker thing on their site and it said to look at the Area '61, the YJM, and the Virtual Solo... But I dont know and I need to turn to you guys for some help...
what amp you got?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
^what he said...

sorry to say, but it won't change your sound much if you don't have a tube amp..
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
I havent bought the amp yet, but Im looking at either a Flextone III or a B-52... And I do know that just having a tube amp isnt where tone comes from and that little changes such as pickups will be heard regardless of what kind of amp you have...
Quote by music_mike
I havent bought the amp yet, but Im looking at either a Flextone III or a B-52... And I do know that just having a tube amp isnt where tone comes from and that little changes such as pickups will be heard regardless of what kind of amp you have...

if you end up getting the flextone, new pickups would barely give you any bang for your buck. ask bulletrocks522, he had a cube 60 and he got his pickups changed to actives but he told me he couldnt hear any difference. focus on the amp first, and once you tell us what amp you ended up with, we'll be able to give you recommendations.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Well while I do respect and understand what you are trying to say, I am also aware that passive pickups are intended to be used with tube amps for their best qualities to shine. Passive pickups focus more on the wood of the guitar and such, from what I understand, to produce the tone. Now I do know that the amp will effect the end sound of the guitar, but with all due respect, I played more then one guitar through the Flextone and even the different pickups on my guitar through the Flextone and it does not color the sound so much as to make each pickup sound the same...
Quote by music_mike

That's simply not true - modelling amps tend to swamp the subtle qualities that differentiate between different models of pickups. Sure, the neck pickup will still be noticeably different to the bridge, and humbuckers still sound different to single coils. However, you wouldn't notice much difference between a Duncan Custom 5 and a 59. Take a look at something like a Line 6 Guitar port, you can download the sounds needed to play along with a song, and it'll even compensate for whether you're using single coils or humbuckers and adjust things accordingly so it sounds correct. When you're talking about that level of processing then pickups simply don't figure much in the equation.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com