I plan on building a 7 string explorer. Im making the body myself. Could someone give me an idea of how much this would cost with flat black paint, 2 emg 707's, the neck, a floyd rose, grover tuners, and all the other electronics (jack, wiring, switches, and such).

Thanks
depends on how many tools your buying, if your buying no tools then id say..

wood- mahogany- $50-80 (explorer has alot extra wood)
neck/truss rod/fretboard/wire-$60
tuners-$60
floyd- $100-150?
hardware-$10?
emgs-?
pots-usually come with the emgs if i remember right

am i forgetting anything?

the tools and drill bits and such will bring it up alot
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
:O That's a lot cheaper than I expected. If i wanted a 24 fret neck and rosewood fretboard would that make a big difference?
That guy is way off it seems like. It really comes down to the quality of the wood. Look on sites like Warmoth, that could be a big help.

80th best UGer
not really i dont think, as long as the scale length is right your fine.

have you done any research on building guitars? for a complete wood working noob its not near as easy as it looks
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by mustangrobert13
That guy is way off it seems like. It really comes down to the quality of the wood. Look on sites like Warmoth, that could be a big help.

if your going to warmoth to find out how much you should spend on wood/necks/bodies you are a idiot. warmoth is way overpriced. im going on what ive spent on parts for my builds.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by jackson player
I have done some. My guitar teacher is a luthier so he's going to help me a bit.

awesome, have you talked to him about it?

my guitar teacher has alot of friends who are incredibly good luthiers, its a great thing to have.

edit- warmtoh is great and all, really good quality stuff. but they are too focused on cashing in on lazy people trying to put together a guitar quickly
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Not too much. Hey if I get a list of parts together for my build, could I send them to you and you tell me what you think?
just post them up here, ive done alot of guitar rebuilds/builds but im in no way as good or as knowledgeable as other guys here.

im curious to see the spec sheet, if i were you id look into a carvin 7 string neck through neck though.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

yeah it really depends on the wood and where you get it, like you could get a big slab of mahogany for $10 at your local lumber yard, or you could get it for $100 or more off the net...

Are you building or buying the neck? To buy look between the $100 - $200 mark. If your building it neck wood = $100? and the fretboard $20. Truss rod $15, fretwire $5.

Tuners $60

Floyd: If your going OFR 7 string look around the $200 - $300 mark...

EMGs: im not really sure, i'd say around the $200 mark

Other stuff: probably $20 - $30

And paint: $5

You can add it all up
more like $20 for the paint,

sealer-primer-paint-second coat of paint.

Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

well if your talking rattle cans down here you cant get any kind of paint in a rattle can for less that 5 bucks
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Im not sure..I'm tempted for a licensed. My jackson has a licensed and it's actually not bad at all.
Quote by jackson player
Im not sure..I'm tempted for a licensed. My jackson has a licensed and it's actually not bad at all.

true, so does mine, as long as your not an idiot with it.

if your trying to cut costs and you dont brutally rape your tremelo id go with a licensed, if you have the money and what the best go with the official
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by jackson player
Where would you put battery boxes for EMG's usually? On the back right?

right, or inside the control cavity. your choice
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

I'm buying a body i decided I think. I want something too detailed for my step dad to make lol
Quote by jackson player

but, the warmoth one is steel and double locking. This is pot metal and single locking.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jackson player
I'm buying a body i decided I think. I want something too detailed for my step dad to make lol

whats so detailed about it?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.