Page 1 of 2
Hey folks. I currently play a Fender Stratocaster standard (mexican) and a Traynor YCV50 Blue. I'm looking to get more "crunch" from the bridge pickup on my strat so I'm thinking about adding one of those single-coil sized humbuckers.

With the current bridge pickup, it has this twang sort of sort that I don't like on the clean or the distortion channel.

I know that there's a few stacked humbuckers to choose from, so I would like your guys' comments on this. When I'm on the gain channel, I would like to get that 80s hard rock tone if I can, sort of like Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC, that sort of thing. On the clean channel, I guess as long as it doesn't have twang or whatever it's called that my current single coil has, that will be ok, but I do play on the clean channel quite a bit, so it has to be at least decent for the cleans ideally.

Thank you in advance.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Well, tbh I don't think that any single coils can really do that type of stuff. You might try looking into some Lace Sensors or SD Hot or Cool Rails. Or maybe a Little 59?
Hey forsaknarzael. You seem to know your stuff and reply to my posts usually, so I'll look into it. I thought that the wiring underneath would have to be for a humbucker regardless if it's a full size one or a single-coil sized one (mini-bucker or whatever it's called), then again I could be wrong.

In order to put in a full humbucker, I would need a new pickguard, yes?

To the guy saying something about BOSS, I thought they only made pedals, not pickups? Maybe I'm wrong?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

^I would think a JB Junior would be too bright.

Quote by MustangSVT
Hey forsaknarzael. You seem to know your stuff and reply to my posts usually, so I'll look into it.

Quote by MustangSVT
I thought that the wiring underneath would have to be for a humbucker regardless if it's a full size one or a single-coil sized one (mini-bucker or whatever it's called), then again I could be wrong.

Well, I'm talking about the actual space in the wood. A lot of Fenders are routed HSH, especially MIM Fenders. I ask this because if it can fit a full sized humbucker, you have a lot more options, and single coil sized ones are kind of limited.

Quote by MustangSVT
In order to put in a full humbucker, I would need a new pickguard, yes?

Correct. Well, you could technically just cut yours.

Quote by MustangSVT
To the guy saying something about BOSS, I thought they only made pedals, not pickups? Maybe I'm wrong?
I think he posted in the worng thread.
the Dimarzio Super Distortion S will do you well.

although with actual humbuckers the choices are nearly limitless
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments. I will talk to my dad about cutting the pickguard to fit a full humbucker and on my next string change, I will take off the pickguard and see how it's routed.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Hey guys, a bit of an update. It's 2009 now and I have the money available for a pickup now. I looked into the pickguard thing, and I thought I could get one at my local music shop, but I found out I have to buy online. Would any of you like to recommend a place to shop for pickguards? (I'm from Canada by the way).

Also I looked into the Dimarzio Super Distortion S, this looks pretty good. How much of a difference are we really talking here if I was to get the pickguard for a full sized humbucker and get one of those? It seems much simpler to take the "easy way out" and just get one of these mini-buckers, but I don't want to later regret my purchase decision.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

I have a MIM strat. I got a HSS pick gaurd. It was routed HSS. I got a Duncan Custom Custom for the brown sound. Make sure you get F-Spaced or trembucker pup if you go HB. It is my understanding that those mini SC sized HBs are not like the real deal and that makes sense.

Edit: look on Guitarcenter or musiciansfriend.com
Attachments:
IMG_9234.JPG
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 3, 2009,
as far as i know, every single MIM standard strat body has HSH routing that have been made in the last 5 years.

edit/ i meant they are routed to be fat strats,
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Jan 3, 2009,
noooooo

lace sensor red, single sized HBs are pants
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
It would be nice if I could find a website that sells the pickguard I need and also the pickup itself. Looking for the full sized humbucker then, which humbucker do I want? There are so many choices.

Make sure you get F-Spaced or trembucker pup if you go HB

What does that mean exactly?

Also now looking at that Fender Lace Sensor, that just complicates things even more. Too many choices lol.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Quote by MustangSVT
It would be nice if I could find a website that sells the pickguard I need and also the pickup itself. Looking for the full sized humbucker then, which humbucker do I want? There are so many choices.

Also now looking at that Fender Lace Sensor, that just complicates things even more. Too many choices lol.

the lace would fit straight into the stock PG and its like 14K so it will be gnarly enough
Quote by MustangSVT

Those designate a humbucker that has its' pole pieces lined up underneath the strings better. Typical with Strats and Strat like guitars and their string spacing. Dimarzio uses FSpaced term, Seymour Duncan uses Trembucker term. Same thing.

and Stevo is suggesting a Lace Sensor if you want to keep your SSS config.
Well I don't know what to get now then.

I thought you need a humbucker to get that "crunch" tone, not a single coil made by Fender.

Let's get this straight. I want to get a tone similar to Judas Priest and Randy Rhoads' era Ozzy songs, so basically that 80s "hard rock" tone. What pickup do I want to get for my bridge? All of those guys use humbuckers so that's why I'm suspicious of this whole "lace sensor" single coil business.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Jan 3, 2009,
there's fender lace sensors and independant lace sensors

the red is a hellish output, it would work well with gain. just something to look at
If you want an HB and want the HSS look then by all means do it. It will open your options anyway. Some people don't like the HSS look on a Strat so that lace sensor would be an alternative.

Check out a Duncan TB5 or TB11. Can't speak to Dimarzio's. GFS pups get some love too as well as others.
Ok I've narrowed it down to these ones:

DiMarzio Super Distortion
DiMarzio PAF Pro
Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker-4
Seymour Duncan TB-5 Custom
Seymour Duncan TB-11 Custom

I'm thinking getting the SD Trembucker 4 of the DiMarzio Super Distortion.

I've found a place on ebay to get the pickguard: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Fender-Strat-Guitar-HSS-Pickguard-Engine-Turned-Black_W0QQitemZ370135025653QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Now I just need to decide which pickup to get. I found all of those 5 on ebay for roughly $90 CAD.

I need to open up my Strat, make sure it has the correct routing, and then buy the pickguard and pickup.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Jan 3, 2009,
Ok after some more reading, I've come up with the conclusion I will either get a DiMarzio Super Distortion or a SD TB-4 JB.

However, the thing I've also read is that these shouldn't be paired with stock Strat pickups because my stock pickups will have much lower output and I will need to mess with the volume knob a bit. I'm also reading that I need 500k pots to make full use of the DM Super Distortion? I don't know what that means, someone enlighten me. I know guitars have the thing called "pots" somewhere inside there, but I don't know what they do. Thank you all!

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

The JB will be too bright for a Strat.

I left my pots at 250K. I wouldn't worry that too much. Pots cost like one dollar and if you take your guitar to a shop to have your new pickup soldered in they can change out the pots while they are in there.
311ZOSOVHJH, thank you for your comments in my thread.

I'm gonna install the pickup together with my dad. He's very handy with just about anything and he solders stuff all the time, so I'm sure we should be able to do it.

My last question to you is what you think about pairing this Super Distortion with the stock neck pickup on my guitar and if it's even worth investing this much in a $300 mexi strat? I like how it plays so far so I think it's worth it.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

I can't speak to the Dimarzios. I think it is worth it if you like your guitar. Plus you can always pull it back out and put stock pup back in if you move on later. Personally, I like the feel and action of my MIM strat.
Ok I took apart my Strat, as far as I can tell, it's routed HHS (bridge/middle/neck). I'll be ordering the pickguard and pickup tonight.

So it's gonna be either Seymour Duncan TB-11 or DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

A higher output single coil like a 10k or 11k will get rid of the twanyness while retaining the clarity and bite of a single coil
Quote by eurotrashed
A higher output single coil like a 10k or 11k will get rid of the twanyness while retaining the clarity and bite of a single coil

I've played on a Yamaha HSS Strat copy and I liked the response of the humbucker a LOT more than any single coil I've tried, plus getting rid of that hum is nice too.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Here's another problem I'm looking at. All the pickguards I'm looking at, the screw size on the pickguard on the humbucker is smaller than my current pickguard at least the way I see it:

http://www.actionmusic.com/images/products/misc/FenderStratPickguardBlack1HB.jpg

Note how mounting holes are smaller on the humbucker, and there's also two on the top instead of just one. How much of a problem is this going to be? Can I just find the proper screws at Home Depot or something like that? And is the F-Spaced Dimarzio or the trembucker gonna have the proper mounting holes? Thank you all for sharing your opinions.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Where are you buying pickguards?

New pickups generally come with their mounting screws and height springs.

EDIT: Buy from Allparts or something. Maybe even Warmoth.
http://www.allparts.com/store/pick-guards-for-strat-reg-guitars,Category.asp
http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=pickguards_strat
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 4, 2009,
I'm looking at buying on ebay. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Fender-Strat-Guitar-Pickguard-11-Hole-Black-HSS_W0QQitemZ400017932411QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item400017932411&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

It doesn't say it comes with them so I assume it won't.

The place I linked to before doesn't ship to Canada.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Thanks for the link. I thought some more about and discussed with my dad regards to the pickguard thing. I keep reading a pickguard I buy may not fit 100% perfectly and with the way the canadian dollar is now, it'd cost me like $60 CAD to buy a pickguard from warmoth or allparts.

So what I'm gonna do is just have my dad drill the hole for the humbucker in my current pickguard.

I'll be ordering the pickup tommorow after I come home from skiing. After listening to the clips on DiMarzio's site, the Super Distortion sounds like exactly what I want. However, I know most of their tone probably comes from the amplifiers (since it's clips of actual famous guitarists' songs).

I'm also strongly considering getting a pickup for my neck since I have the money for it and if I'm gonna order something online and take the time to install on my guitar, may as well do the neck pickup too. What's your guys opinion for a neck pup (single coil or stacked bucker).

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Jan 4, 2009,
Really? That much of a mark up? ouch!

I dunno, IMO, the Super Distortion is a kinda fizzy pickup, that's good at a lot of 80's hair metal stuff, but I wouldn't use it for Ozzy or Judas Priest. Their tone isn't like hair metal stuff. Plus, that's pretty much all the Super D can do, IMO.
The TB-11 's AlNiCo 2 magnet, like I said, will do wonder for fattening up the bridge position of a Strat.
Quote by MustangSVT
I'm also strongly considering getting a pickup for my neck since I have the money for it and if I'm gonna order something online and take the time to install on my guitar, may as well do the neck pickup too. What's your guys opinion for a neck pup (single coil or stacked bucker).

I'm personally a big fan of the single-coil-in-the-neck-of-a-Strat tone.

me likes the stuff at rockmonkeyguitars.com...

But I suppose it depends onw what you want from a neck pickup.
I'm getting ahead of myself here. I actually like how my neck and middle pickup sound, so I don't really want to change them. My spending half got the better of me.

Anyway, from the sounds of it, the DiMarzio SD doesn't have the greatest cleans.

I will spend some time tomorrow listening to the clips of the SD TB-5 and TB-11 and decide between those two. I will be doing the cutting pickguard thing. It's not really a money thing, I mean I have enough money to buy my own custom guitar if I really wanted to. It's just a thing of principle, 60 bucks for a pickguard that may not even perfectly fit is something I'd rather not do. And the reason I'm not buying my dream guitar is cause I'm not worthy just yet, maybe in a few years.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Jan 4, 2009,
Page 1 of 2