Alright, I have a real tough time writing songs. Do you have any good tips for beginners for writing riffs and melodies? I also need help forming good chord progressions and good grooves. Any help at all is very appretiated. Thanks!
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Alright, I know my scales, but how do I use them to write?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Theory always helps, but you gotta let the music into your heart. Learn how to improvise and get into the music you play, and melodies should come. It's not easy though; you can't always expect your creative juices to flow.
learn every little tid-bit of theory you can uncover.
doors, windows, and walls in your song writing capability will be hurled into the sun
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
A good tip for writing melody is to hum/sing/whistle, whatever works, your melody into a recording device for reference, i often find when i have a great melody in my head and try to write a piece for it i end up playing somthing totaly different when i pick upmy guitar and lose the original melody, so then you atleast have it backed up so to speak.

I use the same idea for lead, i'll listen to my rythm section then try to hum/whistle, whatever along to get a lead line, record it so i wont lose it when i pick up my guitar.

I dunno how much sense that made, hope it helps if it made any.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
This seems strange to me, because I know some theory and i consider improvising on the fly to be my strongest point. Having said that i cant put a song together to save my life. Is it a matter of taking degrees from a scale and just screw around till I find some sounds I like? Any quick tips to get a start at putting a song together?
I do have a teacher, maybe I should bring this problem up with him too. Ive focused on leads mostly but im getting a recorder for xmas so i wanna write some songs.

And for the guys that said about picking 2 chords that work and the other one about humming, thanks that makes good sense. I guess coming up with good melodies just takes creativity, is it somthing you get better at or something you juts have?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Last edited by MOOSE_CCR99 at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
This seems strange to me, because I know some theory and i consider improvising on the fly to be my strongest point. Having said that i cant put a song together to save my life. Is it a matter of taking degrees from a scale and just screw around till I find some sounds I like? Any quick tips to get a start at putting a song together?

well...if it doesnt fit, try findin a transition to peice the two together
^Don't you ever pick up your guitar and just "noodle around" on it? When you come up with something like a cool riff, write it down or record if you can. Put riffs together, build on them, write it down/record. Get a bunch together and give it a name.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
^Don't you ever pick up your guitar and just "noodle around" on it? When you come up with something like a cool riff, write it down or record if you can. Put riffs together, build on them, write it down/record. Get a bunch together and give it a name.

basically...thats how 95% of all songs are written
Quote by metal4all

lol thats all i do, but the stuff i play lacks structure so if i recorded that way itd be a uncomprehensible mess.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Any quick tips to get a start at putting a song together?

Break it all down, you dont try to read a book in one go do you?
If you come up with an awesome riff it doesnt mean you need to start the song with it just because it came 1st, hold onto it. record it if possible.
The whole song may not come together all at once, its a process, it may be weeks before you fiddle around with it enough to attach it to something that works, it may take minutes.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by tallaxegrinder
learn every little tid-bit of theory you can uncover.
doors, windows, and walls in your song writing capability will be hurled into the sun

Your avatar = me likey
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
lol thats all i do, but the stuff i play lacks structure so if i recorded that way itd be a uncomprehensible mess.
Don't stuff them together from the start. Make sure you put them all in one key (unless you plan on modulating). If they just don't go together, don't try and mix them, save it for later.

This happens to work for Tom Morello.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
nice, ok so say ive written a riff I like.. how do I build a chord proggression off of it?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Figure out the key first off. Try using the chords in the key if you want it to sound "right" or "in". Then figure out if you want the chords to follow the riff or do cool up/down thingies like in Dragonforce and Iron Maiden songs. Apply chords accordingly.

It would be better (easier) to have a chord progression and expand and build a riff off of that though.

This is just my way of doing it. Different people do things differently (obviously).

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Writing riffs seems to be my strong point, sometimes i have a set idea in my head of how i want it to sound and i meet the expectation, but nothing beats the feeling of jamming for a little while then finding something you like and building upon it.

I would say just try and look for little things that go well together, build upon it and build upon it until it becomes a song, it dosen't have to take 5 minutes, it could take a week or even months, sometimes i would make a riff, not be able to build on it then go and make something else then come back to the first riff, change a few parts around and stick it to the second one then i have part of a song done.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
^+1

Oh yeah, find people to jam with whenever possible. When you're in the moment, you come up with cool ideas whether it's comping or soloing.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by food1010
Theory always helps, but you gotta let the music into your heart. Learn how to improvise and get into the music you play, and melodies should come. It's not easy though; you can't always expect your creative juices to flow.
Comments and words like this boil me up. Force it guys, song writing is a skill not an inherit ability. I fail to see how talking about feelings helps in a practical sense.

For riffs it's just a matter of noodling. You can write it off a chord/chord progression or base it off a mode or use whatever idea you came up with if you want, but in the end it's just noodling.

For melodies I suggest (almost narcissistically) to keep checking out my profile and sig. I'm currently 1/10th in the process of writing up a set of articles for melody writing, mostly for singing melodies. It's mostly directed to the theory and convention side of things instead of the "let it flow and 3m0shvnz" side of things.
Quote by alkalineweeman

A good tip for writing melody is to hum/sing/whistle
That's a good tip to get the initial idea for a melody, but than you should tweak it and fix the phrasing and change a few notes to make it easier to sing/flow better.

Think of it as if you're writing an essay, first you get the initial ideas for the essay (akin to you humming or noodling for melodies), than you paragraph it (or improve the phrasing in music) and than you read over it than edit it so it's more readable (or singable).
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.