Hey guys,

I had my stock pickups replaced with EMG's about a year ago, 89 in the neck, 81 in the bridge and it was done by a tech. Now I'm trying to change them out to SD's, a Jazz SH-2N in the neck and a JB SH-4 in the bridge. Since I had the EMG 89 in I got a push/pull pot to have a single/humbucker option.

A few questions...
1. What's the difference between coil splitting and series/parallel?

2. The battery for the EMG's has a wire to the input jack, how do I get this off? Pull? It has a rubber boot thing over it so I don't know if it's soldered on. Do I need a new input jack?

3. I've replaced pickups in other guitars before, but none that I care too much about so I go about it a little carelessly sometimes... with the questions I have asked, do you think I should do this myself or wait until a tech can do it? I need to learn sometime. I just don't want to screw anything up for my guitar...

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to answer if you do. I have nothing to do right now, so I'll probably start opening her up.
Well, before you try. Do it on inexpnsive Les Paul Special or Bullet Strat.
1. Coil splitting is using one coil. Series is the setup of a normal humbucker, the two coils are in series with each other - one is kind of going into the other. Parallel is like a strat in the 2 or 4 position where the two coils are in parallel, meaning both hots are together and they're kinda working together side by side.

2. Just unsolder the wire from the batter pack, you'll be alright after that.

3. I learned by doing. I'd say go for it. If you've already done it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, remember to replace the pots with 500K pots instead of the 25K pots that you have for the EMGs - passives require more resistance to keep clean.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Epiphone 1966 Limited Edition G-400
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Egnater Tweaker 112 combo
Hmmm, I remember looking at the pots and seeing 500K, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I'll check again.
Back to coil splitting and series/parallel, are you saying they ARE different or no? If I'm looking to get a good clean tone using the push/pull in the neck position, what's my best choice?
They could be 500K, but that's not right for actives. Splitting and parallel are different. With each option you have series, which is the standard configuration. When you pull the switch it will either split or go to parallel, depending on what you want. It really comes down to preference. I'd probably prefer splitting to parallel, but that's my choice.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Epiphone 1966 Limited Edition G-400
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Egnater Tweaker 112 combo