Hey guys, just curious here.... i have a bugera 333xl, and get a decent tone for my modern rock/cover band, but im looking for THE mesa tone. would replacing the tubes (and which ones) get me that tone?? i play a epi LP standard thru a few pedals (dl4, ns-2). ive looked on eruotubes and found quite a bit of info, but id like your opinions as well. eventually i will get a dual rectifier, just not right now due to money. thanks!!
I do believe they use the same tubes. It's the circuit board that matters. You won't be able to get a Dual Rec. tone with a Bugera with only a tube swap.

My best advice would be to get the MXR 10band EQ pedal. I'm sure you could fine-tune it to sound fairly similar.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
You definitely won't get a mesa tone out of a Peavey XXX copy. Changing tubes may help your tone but as far as I know the stock Bugera tubes are better than most stock tubes.

^And an EQ pedal isn't the epitome of tone shaping. It won't change the voicing of an amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
It's not going to sound like a Recto, replacing tubes isnt going to get you there either. It might improve your reliability but its not going to transform it into something else. 333xl=EL34s Rectos=6L6s
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
good point with 6l6 to el34. the cool thing about bugeras is that they can switch tubes, so i can always swap out to el34. any advice on el 34 tubes that may help??
Quote by occub
It's not going to sound like a Recto, replacing tubes isnt going to get you there either. It might improve your reliability but its not going to transform it into something else. 333xl=EL34s Rectos=6L6s

Well the 333xl can use 6L6s also but it still doesn't change the fact that its a Peavey JSX knockoff.
Quote by Demigawd
Well the 333xl can use 6L6s also but it still doesn't change the fact that its a Peavey JSX knockoff.

My Mesa can use EL-34s but its kind of a moot point. 10 band is a very good investment but how long have you had this amp and what did you have before?
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Your amp is what it is. Changing tubes won't turn it into a different amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...