Page 1 of 2
it seems there are alot of questions here about the pod, and it seems UG doesn't have its own POD thread, FOR ALL YOU POD fanatics this is home!!!

feel free to post settings, opinions or anything related to the line 6 pod pocket 2.0 xt x3 etc
Last edited by kckyle at Dec 20, 2008,
I like my Floor pod plus, its like the original pod 2.0, but on the ground. Its sad that the pod series are often looked at along side with the spider series. They are really nothing the same.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
yeah it's a shame. the recording quality is unbelievable on this thing. i just configured the aux setting on my speaker and now i don't have to dump all my processing onto the line 6, not that it matters since i have a pretty decent cpu.
Question: I just got my Pod last night and I noticed that I have to turn the master volume to around 9oclock before I actually hear anything. I'm playing them through a cheap set of headphones too so that might be it, but is that normal?

Also what headphones would you guys recommend?
threads a good idea.

if you want, feel free to join the group as well. (see sig)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Yorkville
Question: I just got my Pod last night and I noticed that I have to turn the master volume to around 9oclock before I actually hear anything. I'm playing them through a cheap set of headphones too so that might be it, but is that normal?

Also what headphones would you guys recommend?

Try turning the level setting at the back part of the pod if you have one.

My question is i can get a good rhythm and solo tone but i cant get a good loud tapping sound. Is it because of the pickups? i dont think so... the hammer ons and pull offs at higher fret and higher strings sounds dead
Quote by blood8815

yeah that will get you some excellent quality recording. however if all you're gonna do is mic the amp and record guitar than the less expensive version should suit you well
Quote by blind.quardian
Try turning the level setting at the back part of the pod if you have one.

My question is i can get a good rhythm and solo tone but i cant get a good loud tapping sound. Is it because of the pickups? i dont think so... the hammer ons and pull offs at higher fret and higher strings sounds dead

i believe that has to do with the eqing. lately i been messing around with creating my own tone and boy it sure is complicated.
Quote by Racer X
How does that **** compare to tube amps?

better then a low end tube amp. Definitly not a High end tube amp but its definitly something of mid to high range.

Well i only know about the pod x3 dont know about the others but the pod 2.0 and xt are beast too. POckets are just Pocket craps ( tHere not that bad btw for the price its kick ass )
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Racer X
How does that **** compare to tube amps?

it beats the quality of micing up my amp that's for sure. but if you play it in person there is a definite lose of dynamics. but overall this thing is very very good. go check out Lincoln Brewster youtube vids. he fooled millions thinking that he is using some sort of fender or vox amp while he's only using the pod x3 live directly though the pa
Alright guys!!! Good idea this thread as I can now ask a question that's been playing on my mind! I'm contemplating getting the POD X3 (not the floor version) as I want to have a tinker around as I would like to get down to (finally) recording some song ideas I have. Also I think it would be a great buy for practice purposes as the options available to you can really open up a new level of interest. Come on, how often do you set oput to practice and then find you've been playing the same "fav songs" for the last hour!!!

Anyways, I've done some research but I want to hear from users: How does this thing actually sound through SS / tube amps? I.E. coloured by tubes, preferential placement in the set up of rig, does SS nature of practice amp fight with POD?

(BTW I have a Cube 30X / Laney TT50 combo)

Much appreciated guys (and have a great xmas and new year!)
Quote by UnicronAlliance

(BTW I have a Cube 30X / Laney TT50 combo)

Much appreciated guys (and have a great xmas and new year!)

some people like the coloration of a tube power amp on a digital preamp. when you play through your cube, run the pod into the MP3/AUX input, this way your pod sound wont go through any additional modeling from the cube. when you play on your laney, plug your guitar into the POD and go straight from the pods output into the effects loop return of the laney. this way it goes straight to the poweramp. happy holidays too

we should add more stuff to the original post, like all the models, etc...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
some people like the coloration of a tube power amp on a digital preamp. when you play through your cube, run the pod into the MP3/AUX input, this way your pod sound wont go through any additional modeling from the cube. when you play on your laney, plug your guitar into the POD and go straight from the pods output into the effects loop return of the laney. this way it goes straight to the poweramp. happy holidays too

we should add more stuff to the original post, like all the models, etc...

Yup I dialed a badass metalcore sound. Will post it later
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Hcmanu
better then a low end tube amp. Definitly not a High end tube amp but its definitly something of mid to high range.

Well i only know about the pod x3 dont know about the others but the pod 2.0 and xt are beast too. POckets are just Pocket craps ( tHere not that bad btw for the price its kick ass )

Pocket PODs are a POD 2.0 in a smaller case, no?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Line 6
I have a PODXT - can I upgrade it to Version 3?

Yes – the Version 3 upgrade is a FREE download for all registered PODXT users. It can be installed over USB using the Line 6 Monkey – a free “intelligent updater” application for Windows® and Mac® OS X®. Get the Monkey here.

Does this mean if I buy a PODxt used, it will not be registered for me?
Hello, I have a question...

Are there any websites with pod 2.0 settings (not customtone) of certain artists, like what to dial in to achieve good tone?
i have a pocket pod and its fantastic for using on my computer (recording and playing really low late at night). since i only have a tube amp, its also a nice option to have around for some solid state sounding metal since i cant afford 2 full amps. its also full of ok sounding effects that i cant shell out 100+ bucks per pedal on.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by J Mud
Does this mean if I buy a PODxt used, it will not be registered for me?

I bought my POD XT second hand, if you post on the line 6 forums asking for help they will re-register it to you. You just need to show proof that you bought it. I showed them a paypal receipt and the ebay auction.

*No advertising in signature*
This place has got a few.

http://www.project80s.com/podclips.htm

But your best bet is to get the users dvd and handbook from licklibrary. You'll learn alot more

http://www.licklibrary.com/store/total-accuracy/495/pod-settings-handbook

http://www.licklibrary.com/store/nigel-spennewyn/15630/ultimate-gear-guides-pod-20-pod-xt-xt-live

I've got both. dvd's pretty good
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
hey is it worth it for me by forking out an extra $150 to buy a line 6 pod x3 instead of xt ??? what u guys reckon and should i go floorboard or pod ....i'm either gonna be playing through a 30x (or headphones can u do that?) until i have some money to buy something id be able to play the pod x3 through like a small pa system or something cause i heard that's better then an amp...well thanks guys
usually more is better, but that's up to you. It should work well with anything other then another modeling amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
My recording sounds all digital-y. How can I make it sound less digital and more tubeish without having an actual tube pedal of some sort? i have an Pod XT Live btw, and use USB direct.
Another unoriginal prog head.
Quote by Ne0Assass1n
My recording sounds all digital-y. How can I make it sound less digital and more tubeish without having an actual tube pedal of some sort? i have an Pod XT Live btw, and use USB direct.

Explain more throughly the problem. Too many people use digital as synonymous with bad for it to be a useful term.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Explain more throughly the problem. Too many people use digital as synonymous with bad for it to be a useful term.

I guess I'll put the settings up as well.

So right now I'm trying to record a cover using Audacity, from my Pod XTL with a USB directly to my laptop. The clean parts sound excellent, very nice and warm. But I'm trying to get something close to a tube sounding distortion from the J-800/Solo 100 amp model. My problem is it kinda sounds like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qGQjqmQVus on my 4-6th strings, and my 1-3 strings sound fine.

Thanks

Settings:
Amp model: Brit J-800
Drive: 1-2 o'clock
Bass: 1-2 o'clock
Mid: 11 o'clock
Treb: 4 o'clock
Pres: 2.5 o'clock
Chan vol: 3 o'clock

Should I reduce something?
Another unoriginal prog head.
Last edited by Ne0Assass1n at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by zw44
I bought my POD XT second hand, if you post on the line 6 forums asking for help they will re-register it to you. You just need to show proof that you bought it. I showed them a paypal receipt and the ebay auction.

Yes, this is the best way to go about it as Line6 will create you a support ticket. If you bought it recently, just have the original owner unregister it if you can get in contact with them.

Also, I've heard that when somebody buys model packs, it's purchased under their name. So if they want, they can always move them to another device. I'm wondering, say if I buy a pod xt off of ebay with the fx junkie model pack, can I get line6 to unregister that so I can register the model pack in my name?

Not an owner yet, but the next purchase on the list (Probably buy one used on Friday) is a PodXT.
Quote by shaenb243
hey is it worth it for me by forking out an extra $150 to buy a line 6 pod x3 instead of xt ??? what u guys reckon and should i go floorboard or pod ....i'm either gonna be playing through a 30x (or headphones can u do that?) until i have some money to buy something id be able to play the pod x3 through like a small pa system or something cause i heard that's better then an amp...well thanks guys

Just check the additional features (if any) on the x3 and see if you need 'em.

Go floorboard if you're doing live playing to make things a bit more convenient. Grab the POD for bedroom jamming. Or get a pod and a separate floorboard if needed.
Does anyone have any stuff for POD Farm? It would be cool to do some file swaps.
I currently have 2 tones i've made.
one is a mesa power metal style tone,
other is a droneish doom metal tone with a sub octavator
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by MetalHead916
Yes, this is the best way to go about it as Line6 will create you a support ticket. If you bought it recently, just have the original owner unregister it if you can get in contact with them.

Also, I've heard that when somebody buys model packs, it's purchased under their name. So if they want, they can always move them to another device. I'm wondering, say if I buy a pod xt off of ebay with the fx junkie model pack, can I get line6 to unregister that so I can register the model pack in my name?

Not an owner yet, but the next purchase on the list (Probably buy one used on Friday) is a PodXT.

When I bought mine second hand it came with the Metal Pack installed on it - I told line 6 and they registered that under my name too at the same time as the pod xt.

*No advertising in signature*
Quote by Kivarenn82
threads a good idea.

if you want, feel free to join the group as well. (see sig)

just joined!
here is my 2nd hand pod pro:

$500 AUD off ebay
i love it
I just had to add to this growing thread.
I HATE the Spider Valve amps. In my opinion, the only thing that made them sound good was the Celestion Vintage 30 speakers they used (those speakers make ANYTHING sound good).

That said I do have a Pod X3 Live that I actually play live with.
I run the pod into the effects loop of my Carvin Tube amp and then control the volume with the master volume on the Pod. It sounds absolutely incredible and I get many compliments and questions about my tone. It also helps that I have a really great sounding 4x12 cabinet.

If I run the POD straight into the front of the Carvin, it sounds horrible.

It's important to know how to use a POD correctly. Otherwise they can damage your tone more then they can improve it.

I'm cannot remember if the older Pod XT Live (I used to own one) has an effects loop but the newer X3 live does. Running a simple tube preamp in this effects loop helps IMMENSELY. Just make sure that the effects loop is in the 'pre' position and not the 'post'.

It may seem like alot of work, but this type of setup doesn't just get me one great tone, it gets me dozens. This setup not only gets me the sound but the correct 'feel' of each tube amp I'm modeling.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
I have a POD XT. There is only 1 reason to go with a POD XT over the X3 version (kidney bean not floor model) the XT has midi in out the X3 does not. The floor and rack models of both XT/X3 have midi IO. If you have the X3 kidney bean your stuck with having to buy one of the Line6 floorboards.

I run my POD XT through the effects return of my Peavey Valveking 112 amp and pretty much just ignore my amps preamp section. Just set your POD XT up to be a tube preamp and it will drive your amps power section just fine (If your amp allows this). I find that if I use the pod in front of this amp it sounds absolutely horrible. It also sounds bad if you set it up in the amps effects loop (as opposed to just sending the output of the POD to the return and plugging your guitar into the POD). I use the relatively cheap Behringer FCB1010 midi pedal board for controlling my POD XT.

Just remember that no matter how you hook it up it depends on your amp it's preamp section and power section, weather it has tubes or not and the tonal range of the speakers you have in your cab as to how things will have to be tweaked. Your guitars pickups also play a great roll as to how you have to tweak things. I can not understand how some people can just buy a guitar effects processor plug it in and within a span of 15 minutes they determine that it sucks. If your not ready to spend hours tweaking your setup don't bother spending the money to get one.

Jim
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by zw44
When I bought mine second hand it came with the Metal Pack installed on it - I told line 6 and they registered that under my name too at the same time as the pod xt.

Oh NIce. Yeah I bought mine and it had the FX junkie model pack on it. I still need to get the metal pack and the classic amps pack. Since both of those are $50, I'm just gonna get all three even though I already have the FX junkie pack. Just in case. Not spending anything extra so might as well have it.

Hella need to get the metal pack though. I need some more ampage
Quote by kckyle
it seems there are alot of questions here about the pod, and it seems UG doesn't have its own POD thread, FOR ALL YOU POD fanatics this is home!!!

feel free to post settings, opinions or anything related to the line 6 pod pocket 2.0 xt x3 etc

Line 6 sucks
Apple Macintosh

Fender Stratocaster Highway one HSS USA

Marshall DSL50 British green
Quote by Macintoshmaster
Line 6 sucks

That explains why hundreds of major acts use their equipment...
Quote by urbanacrobat
That explains why hundreds of major idiots use their equipment...

Yes I know!
Apple Macintosh

Fender Stratocaster Highway one HSS USA

Marshall DSL50 British green
Page 1 of 2