I'm a Mac owner with a guitar...OK, several guitars.

My question is: What hardware and software do I need to generate my own ringtones?

I haven't upgraded my Mac in a while, so I'm just running the oldest version of OS X. However, I'm strongly considering buying a new iMac in 2009. So, if you answer, please let me know if I'll need more computing power than my "Old Reliable."
You can upload mp3's on myxer.com and then it will be up as a ringtone and you can send it to your phone, free of charge.

Trust me, that site is okay. They have barely any good ones on there but you can upload your own.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
...i would say wrong forum...but...this has to do with both guitar and gear relating to guitar...so...oddly enough i guess this would be the right forum
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Yeah, you can do the Myxer route, or if you have an iPhone, you can actually do it through Garageband. You just record 30 seconds of you playing whatever you want on guitar, then export it as a ringtone and save it to your iPhone.
Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone- my carrier doesn't support them. I have an LG Chocolate, which is OK, but doesn't have the best ergonomics (its a little too slick and oversensitive).

To clarify- I want to record my own compositions as ringtones, for use on any standard phone.

I know I'll need some kind of recording equipment (a microphone? Some kind of direct line?) & software to save them as mp3s...Garageband, you say? Or would that be myxer.com?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone- my carrier doesn't support them. I have an LG Chocolate, which is OK, but doesn't have the best ergonomics (its a little too slick and oversensitive).

To clarify- I want to record my own compositions as ringtones, for use on any standard phone.

I know I'll need some kind of recording equipment (a microphone? Some kind of direct line?) & software to save them as mp3s...Garageband, you say? Or would that be myxer.com?

You can get a USB interface, hook it up to a mic, put the mic in front of the speaker on yourr amp, then record into Garageband. When you finish recording what you want, you just go to "share," then "save as mp3" and set all your quality settings.