To do the stripes on the paintjob do I paint Black, then add tape, then paint white, add tape for white lines then paint red. Or do I paint black, add tape, paint white, remove tape, add white lines and black, paint red???????
Gear:
1960 Classic Les Paul
Black Fender Stratocaster
Frankenstrat
Marshall MG100HDFX
Line 6 Spider III 100watt
Depends how you want it. If you want a red guitar with black and white stripes, start with a black guitar. Tape it off, then paint it white. Once you have what looks like the original Frankenstrat (white with black stripes), tape it off again and paint it red.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
here is no why has it right, pretty much what happened to eddie's real one. he played with it white for a while then repainted the same guitar red later with new tape lines
wait so which on of these do I do 1 or 2?
1.Paint black
then add tape
then paint white
add more tape
paint red
remove all tape

Or is it

2.Paint black
Then add tape
Paint white
remove tape
Add new tape
Paint red
remove all tape
Gear:
1960 Classic Les Paul
Frankenstrat
Marshall MG100HDFX
Quote by 6Shoot3rsUp
wait so which on of these do I do 1 or 2?
1.Paint black
then add tape
then paint white
add more tape
paint red
remove all tape

Or is it

2.Paint black
Then add tape
Paint white
remove tape
Add new tape
Paint red
remove all tape

the first. think like this. start with black. the tape is determining where the BLACK stripes will be. paint white. add more tape. this tape will be the WHITE strpes. then red will cover anything not a stripe.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
the first. think like this. start with black. the tape is determining where the BLACK stripes will be. paint white. add more tape. this tape will be the WHITE strpes. then red will cover anything not a stripe.

no dont listen to him he has the right idea but do number 2
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
O alright so right now I just painted the white coat but I sorta messsed up a section, it has some drips. Would I just sand that off tommorow when it drys and re paint that small part?
but I think I am going to go with number 1
Gear:
1960 Classic Les Paul
Frankenstrat
Marshall MG100HDFX
1) Paint it black (lol).
2) Tape where you want black lines.
2) Paint it white.
3) Add more tape where you want white lines.
4) Paint red.
5) Remove all tape.

If you remove the tape after adding the black and add new tape then you just paint over the black lines.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Dec 21, 2008,
This thread will show you exactly how to make a Frankenstrat clone. He made one of the best looking ones I've seen. Check it out.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811872

Here's what his finished guitar looks like.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by random_B-RAD
1) Paint it black (lol).
2) Tape where you want black lines.
2) Paint it white.
3) Add more tape where you want white lines.
4) Paint red.
5) Remove all tape.

If you remove the tape after adding the black and add new tape then you just paint over the black lines.

this gives you
this

I still don't think number one will work because there are parts of the guitar where the white and black are together in one stripe and what not. We took all the tape off after the coat of white then masked off for the red. It worked fine, I'm not sure the way number one describes it will look as good as you think. After all, he originally had the guitar white and black, and only some time later did he paint over it in red. So unless he went back and added all the original tape, then I don't think he did it like number one.
eddie himself did

black
tape
white
remove tape
re tape
red
remove other tape
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
eddie himself did

black
tape
white
remove tape
re tape
red
remove other tape

That's what I did on mine. Mine's not an exact replica of Eddie's. It's an EVH inspired guitar. Mine has an Squier body that looks kind of like an an Ibanez. I'm gonna make a thread about mine soon. It'll have several pics to show step by step how I did it.

Here's a sneek peak at mine.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Feb 5, 2009,