Can anybody tell me about the Digitech Hardwire Series? Specifically the 2 distortion pedals. Thanks.
the metal distortion is pretty good but i still prefer my muff
the valve distortion is also good
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
THE CM-2 overdrive is awesome...i plan on buying it..tried it, and it was awesome..kicked the **** out of a green screamer
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Eh. I was not impressed. Considering I worked at Guitar Center, I had pretty much nothing to do on the slow days but check out pedals. And our hardwire display NEVER was used. So after having tried them out, I gotta say, not that great. The delay and reverb are overpriced, although the reverb DID sound pretty sweet. The overdrives/distortions are thin and sterile sounding.

And did anyone else notice that two pedals are named valve distortion and tube overdrive? Two names for the exact same thing....
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
Eh. I was not impressed. Considering I worked at Guitar Center, I had pretty much nothing to do on the slow days but check out pedals. And our hardwire display NEVER was used. So after having checking it out, I gotta say, not that great. The delay and reverb are overpriced, although the reverb DID sound pretty sweet. The overdrives/distortions are thin and sterile sounding.

And did anyone else notice that two pedals are named valve distortion and tube overdrive? Two names for the exact same thing....

arent Overdrives and Distortions different
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
arent Overdrives and Distortions different

Overdrive and distortion are technically two different sounds, yet tube and valve are synonymous terms, so if you say valve distortion and tube overdrive, you are essentially speaking about the same thing.

...I hate digitech.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage

...I hate digitech.

LOL!
Well, you know Digitech didn't even design the pedals?
It was some other company, but DT bought the rights or whatever
to the pedals so that their name could be on it, but they didn't
change anything to the pedals.

Dunno, I think you're the first person I've ever heard that DOESN'T like the
hardwire pedals.
overdrive is a softer clip, distortion is a hard clip..amirite?
heartinacage, what kind of amp did you try to OD through? just out of curiosity
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by HeartInACage
Eh. I was not impressed. Considering I worked at Guitar Center, I had pretty much nothing to do on the slow days but check out pedals. And our hardwire display NEVER was used. So after having tried them out, I gotta say, not that great. The delay and reverb are overpriced, although the reverb DID sound pretty sweet. The overdrives/distortions are thin and sterile sounding.

Either you dont know how to EQ or your tone deaf.

But hey its your opinion.

And those are my two cents.
The hardwire pedals are awesome. I love them but I hate distortion pedals. Much rather have an amp with a good lead channel.
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Distortion and overdrive are two different things though

meh, not really. when you overdrive a higer gain amp, what do you get? thats right, distortion. i really just think that distortion is a more pronounced form of overdrive. turn the gain knob down on a distortion pedal and it sounds overdrive-y. turn up the gain on an overdrive pedal and it sounds distortion-y. so i kinda see overdrive and distortion as different levels of the same thing. at least in guitarterms anyway, in other applications they can mean completly different things.
Very good pedals, tried them with a '68 plexi, and it sounded amazing.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
for the OD/DIST folks, taken from the OD/DIST/Boost thread
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=957083
distortion is hard clipping.its cuts the signal, and can reach insane amounts of gain. overdrive is soft clipping that reserves the original tone better, and can sound more natural.
check out the diagram in the first post^
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

I guese i understand why people may say CM-2's muddy and not that good sounding.

If you put all the knobs past 3 oclock that is and you dont know how to properly use it, other than that its great.

I like maxing out the level on mine,the gain 1 o clock or before, and the treble and lo below the 12 mark to get the clearest sound i can still sounding distorted.

But i always try diffrent things with mine, not every setting you put on it is ganna sound good.

I can also get some good fuzz by bringing the lo up to 3 or 4 oclock and the hi about 2 or 3 hours back.
Quote by THEKID546
Either you dont know how to EQ or your tone deaf.

But hey its your opinion.

And those are my two cents.

I am neither tone deaf, nor do I not know how to equalize.

I purely like GOOD pedals and GOOD tone. I dislike wasting my money on mediocre pedals. Id prefer to spend my money on pedals that dont sound like ass.

But hey. Its your opinion.
^Cool whatever.

Anyway yah there F'in great.

Might not be a big name with legend, like EHX or Ibanez but I dont mind, you cant argue with the sound.

digitech is just a name its the sound that matters.
whew...bought on today...not super happy. was not what i was lookin for...wanted to tighten my gain channel. it added fizz, lots of noise..when i pulled the EQ's down, it only added a little brightness..not really for me. im gonna look into an EQ instead
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by jof1029
meh, not really. when you overdrive a higer gain amp, what do you get? thats right, distortion. i really just think that distortion is a more pronounced form of overdrive. turn the gain knob down on a distortion pedal and it sounds overdrive-y. turn up the gain on an overdrive pedal and it sounds distortion-y. so i kinda see overdrive and distortion as different levels of the same thing. at least in guitarterms anyway, in other applications they can mean completly different things.

They aren't the same thing at all. What the OD pedal is pushing the tubes and adding more power amp gain so you will see some more distortion. Some like the digitech pedals also have the option of adding more pre amp gain. But the purpose is much different than running a distortion pedal. A distortion pedal can't drive tubes as hard as an OD pedal can.
Quote by wyldeshredder
whew...bought on today...not super happy. was not what i was lookin for...wanted to tighten my gain channel. it added fizz, lots of noise..when i pulled the EQ's down, it only added a little brightness..not really for me. im gonna look into an EQ instead

You are doing it wrong man... For one don't turn the level up like a lot of people say on here. A lot of amps don't sound good with the level maxed. Although some do. It's going to add noise and feedback on a lot of amps if you do this. You want to not turn the lows and highs all the way up. And are you using this on a tube amp?
I went out last week to look at distortion pedals, and after trying quite a few, I walked out with the Hardwire Overdrive, and have been very happy. It sounds quite good coming out of my little Fender Champion amp as well...
Gear-
MIM Strat Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Fender Champion 600 amp
Seagull Coastline S6 GT
Quote by wyldeshredder

Well what i think its you never want to have the level and gain both higher than 2 oclock.

Its a tricky pedal but once you get the hang of it its outstanding.

Its a powerful boster and i really dont like putting alot of the knobs past 3 oclock

Also try using the Lo and HI knobs before 2 oclock max out the level and put the gain on 1 or before.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by hcsn2008
They aren't the same thing at all. What the OD pedal is pushing the tubes and adding more power amp gain so you will see some more distortion. Some like the digitech pedals also have the option of adding more pre amp gain. But the purpose is much different than running a distortion pedal. A distortion pedal can't drive tubes as hard as an OD pedal can.

thats actually wrong. an overdrive pedal is meant to simulate the sound of a tube amp being pushed. its not actually meant to just push the amp harder (and it actually pushes the preamp tubes harder). a lot of people use it for mostly that, but if thats all you want then you just need a boost pedal. and yes, a distortion pedal can drive tubes in the same way that people use an od pedal to do. just turn down the gain and turn the level up. it really has nothing to do with how hard the pedal pushes the amp, thats just something people say. it has everything to do with the type and ammount of clipping. while od and distortion arent the exact same thing, they are so close in the actual effect on the signal it really doesnt make that huge of a difference.

unless im getting some terms mixed up, tube amps sound the way they do because of asymetrical clipping on the odd harmonics. solid state devices clip all harmonics and are more noted for hard clipping. what soft clipping really means though, is that there is a little bit of give so that the signal starts clipping gently first, but then will eventually clip in a way that is like hard clipping. solid state devices reach a point where they either good, or pushed over the top and clip. so chaining together some solid state devices in a correct way can give the semblence of soft clipping, even if it isnt true soft clipping. so overdive pedals are almost always solid state pedals designed to provide the illusion of a tube being pushed slightly too hard so it soft clips.
Quote by jof1029
thats actually wrong. an overdrive pedal is meant to simulate the sound of a tube amp being pushed. its not actually meant to just push the amp harder (and it actually pushes the preamp tubes harder). a lot of people use it for mostly that, but if thats all you want then you just need a boost pedal. and yes, a distortion pedal can drive tubes in the same way that people use an od pedal to do. just turn down the gain and turn the level up. it really has nothing to do with how hard the pedal pushes the amp, thats just something people say. it has everything to do with the type and ammount of clipping. while od and distortion arent the exact same thing, they are so close in the actual effect on the signal it really doesnt make that huge of a difference.

unless im getting some terms mixed up, tube amps sound the way they do because of asymetrical clipping on the odd harmonics. solid state devices clip all harmonics and are more noted for hard clipping. what soft clipping really means though, is that there is a little bit of give so that the signal starts clipping gently first, but then will eventually clip in a way that is like hard clipping. solid state devices reach a point where they either good, or pushed over the top and clip. so chaining together some solid state devices in a correct way can give the semblence of soft clipping, even if it isnt true soft clipping. so overdive pedals are almost always solid state pedals designed to provide the illusion of a tube being pushed slightly too hard so it soft clips.

Well, if you turn the level up like most people do on an OD pedal and turn your volume where it normally is your power amp is burning more. Not only is it much louder you can even feel the tubes get hotter at a lower volume if you put your hand on the amp. Although i find myself not using one these days. I prefer the natural sound of the amp.
Quote by hcsn2008
Well, if you turn the level up like most people do on an OD pedal and turn your volume where it normally is your power amp is burning more. Not only is it much louder you can even feel the tubes get hotter at a lower volume if you put your hand on the amp. Although i find myself not using one these days. I prefer the natural sound of the amp.

Unless you put it in your FX loop, I'm pretty sure a clean boost is only going to drive the preamp tubes, not the power tubes.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by hcsn2008
You are doing it wrong man... For one don't turn the level up like a lot of people say on here. A lot of amps don't sound good with the level maxed. Although some do. It's going to add noise and feedback on a lot of amps if you do this. You want to not turn the lows and highs all the way up. And are you using this on a tube amp?

ya, a jcm2000
i kept the controls down..it just doesnt do much for me. that little bit of extra gain doesnt do much for me...especially when i drop 180bux CAD(that incl. tax and an adapter though) i'll try er out again tommorow though..we'll see how it goes
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
ya, a jcm2000
i kept the controls down..it just doesnt do much for me. that little bit of extra gain doesnt do much for me...especially when i drop 180bux CAD(that incl. tax and an adapter though) i'll try er out again tommorow though..we'll see how it goes

Your right though man, the white noise is a draw back.
One of the only things i have to complain about the pedal actually.
OCD is definately worth the extra 40 bucks then.
Other than that i love the sound, i only find it to be a problem when im not playing, then i just roll of the volume.
Probly get it modded for this and it will be the perfect pedal for me.
I think the problem is with this white noise, is that the pedal just boost the amp to hard and when you go on the higher setting it comes out as noise.

I had a camera about a foot acrros from my pups, turn it on and the pups pick up the noise from the lense opening and shuting, all cause of the frieken pedal.

Try to keep the level below 4 oclock.
Dont keep the Gain and level higher than 3 at the same time.
Also the farther the two knobs Hi and lo are from each other the looser the sound, the closer they are the thigher the sound.

Lets say i think i need a bit more bass but i still want a tight sound, I just see what spectrum on the knobs gets me the sound i want but put the bass a tad higher than the hi.

Or the other way around.

Also since the pedal is pretty gainy try just using the pedals level knob to push the tubes harder keep the gain down, use the High and Lo knob to shape your OD and if you feel you need more dirt then just add some gain.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Dec 25, 2008,