When your thread is dying, and you say bump, what is it supposed to signify?
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
that you are gay..
Quote by Survivalism
The Dual Rectifier is my sexy finishing move.

Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"
It bumps the thread to the top of the list, so more people see it. Thus, the thread has a slighly smaller chance of falling into the fiery depths of the Pit.
When you bump something up, it usually means you're taking it higher than it was before. In this case, you are taking the thread to the top of the list.
XIAOXI
Something you can't do on UG.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Quote by crackerpleaz
It bumps the thread to the top of the list, so more people see it. Thus, the thread has a slighly smaller chance of falling into the fiery depths of the Pit.

+1

/thread
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
So you can just type "bump" in your thread randomly and it'll somehow magically go to the top? Does a mod have to do that or is there some kind of program to facilitate that need?
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Quote by British Josh
So you can just type "bump" in your thread randomly and it'll somehow magically go to the top? Does a mod have to do that or is there some kind of program to facilitate that need?

Wigga be trollin'
Quote by British Josh

Quote by British Josh

No, it's kinda like how if someone is in your way, saying "excuse me" or saying "I will slit your throat and use your blood as syrup on my waffles" will both cause them to move out of your way. One is just more polite. You can say anything and your thread will move to the top.

*holding in a massive facepalm*
Bumping is uncalled for, if your thread leaves, nobody wanted it, or what it had died off. A typical thread goes through 1 of paths.

Path 1: The thread is mildly popular and has a few pages, TS goes to sleep, when TS wakes up he/she checks on the thread only to realized it's gone.

Path 2: The thread is instantly closed due to either a breakage of rules or pure stupidity.

Path 3: The thread simply gets one or 2 replies before dying off into the bowels of every page past page 1, because nobody looks there. (this is where you don't bump)

Path 4: (unlikely) The thread becomes insanely popular and even on occasion has a V2, or becomes one of the ONLY threads, this is the desired but often unattained result.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
I understand. Thank you pit.

I feel like a fool. Get your laffs out.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones