im buying myself a new amp for christmas, i went today to try them out and just got home. I've decided on either the Fender Frontman 212R (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2316500010) or the Marshall AVT50 (http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=AVT50X)

Basically the marshall has killer distortion from Pantera to AC/DC but a pretty average clean. It has one 12" speaker, 2 channels + reverb.

The Fender has a lovely clean bluesy sound with a pretty decent distortion, i managed to get a black sabbath sound out of the distortion despite the shop keeper telling me i wont get a good distorted sound from it. Two 12" speakers, 2 channels + reverb.

I am leaning toward getting the fender and also buying a boss metal zone or similar.

Thanks heaps for any thoughts and also tell me which brand you prefer generally, fender or marshall

: )
Quote by Fred1000000
Retards are God's way of telling you you could be worse off, AND entertaining you at the same time!
marshall

Proud member of the LGBTQQ group.
1) No vs. threads.
2) Both of those amps are pretty bad for the price.
3) Wrong forum. Take it to GG&A. *Reported*

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
not the fender.. frontman's are horrible.. that marshall isn't much better

i think you're basing your choice off brand names too much
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Both are terrible.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
I have an AVT50, and I like it alot. However, it took a new speaker (75%) and a BBE Sonic Stomp (25%) to get it to sound the way I like. With the stock speaker the distortion is muddy as hell. An EQ pedal can help, but a new speaker was the cure. There are no Pantera tones to be found in it (which, isn't a bad thing, Dimebag's tone sounded like ass). With a decent cab, or replacement speaker you can get good distortion tones in the vein of Slayer.

The clean channel is pretty decent although I can't say too much, about it I almost always play on dirty or with my Pod.

My suggestion, unless you're getting a hell of a deal on the AVT, is keep shopping around.

Maybe look at a Peavey Bandit, or the Vyper.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
1. To my ears, both are awful.
2. Base less off names. Both make good amps, but at that price their amps are awful.

Now then, price range, tone(s) wanted/needed, artist tone(s) you want, genres played, guitar, setup?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
1. To my ears, both are awful.
2. Base less off names. Both make good amps, but at that price their amps are awful.

Now then, price range, tone(s) wanted/needed, artist tone(s) you want, genres played, guitar, setup?

I didnt base these amps off name to be honest the bloke at the guitar store recommended 4 amps to me, ashton ga100 212, randall something 212 and these two. they both killed the other two.

my budget is AU$900 bands/genres i listen to and play are metallica, black sabbath, Queens of the Stone Age and Kyuss mostly i use an rg350dx

thanks

P.S there was also some small blue fender all tube amp around 30watt id guess but i didnt bother trying it out because i couldnt imagine a tube amp good for bedroom practice ?
Quote by Fred1000000
Retards are God's way of telling you you could be worse off, AND entertaining you at the same time!
Last edited by oatley at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by littlephil
Do you play alot of metal, or not much at all?

yer i do play metal but at the same time i play bluesy stuff and a mix like zeppelin style distorted bluesy solo's
Quote by Fred1000000
See if you can find a Laney AOR.
They're discontinued a long time ago so it would have to be used, but they're great amps, and definately in your budget.
neither are great, but if you must choose I would get the Marshall.

if you can (probably won't) see if you can find a Laney AOR for what would be like 400USD (I don't know how much that is aussie)
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
If you get the Marshall, get a BBE Sonic Stomp and put it in the FX loop. You'll thank me.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by oatley
I didnt base these amps off name to be honest the bloke at the guitar store recommended 4 amps to me, ashton ga100 212, randall something 212 and these two. they both killed the other two.

my budget is AU$900 bands/genres i listen to and play are metallica, black sabbath, Queens of the Stone Age and Kyuss mostly i use an rg350dx

thanks

P.S there was also some small blue fender all tube amp around 30watt id guess but i didnt bother trying it out because i couldnt imagine a tube amp good for bedroom practice ?

If you liked them that much, I guess I'd get the 212 just because I can attest it's durable as hell. Do go back and try that tube amp though; though louder, it can still sound good, and you can always just get a volume pedal or something to use as a volume control that isn't also your drive.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0