I'm getting my crate v18 fixed right now cause I dropped it and messed up the preamp tubes. The place I took it to get fixed called me today and I asked what kind of tubes he would be putting in and he said that the preamp tubes don't make too much of a difference on the overall tone, and that it mostly relies on the power tubes. Don't the preamp tubes basically shape the tone of the gain I get from the amp?
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park
Everything makes a difference. Preamp tubes are very important.

I often get told at guitar stores that tubes don't change anything.

Check the stickied tube thread. It should answer your questions.
I'm not cool.
I thought so, but he said it was virtually irrelevant. I might just change them myself once it is fixed. I had to take it there cause I didn't know if it was the tubes that were broke, and I didn't want to dig into it and break something.
And thanks for the help
Guitars
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Line 6 Echo Park
Quote by rhcpjhlz
I thought so, but he said it was virtually irrelevant. I might just change them myself once it is fixed. I had to take it there cause I didn't know if it was the tubes that were broke, and I didn't want to dig into it and break something.
And thanks for the help

Wow, if anything, it's the preamp tubes that have the most bearing on your tone, as opposed to power tubes. Did you by any chance take your amp to guitar center?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Haha, nice, but no. The closest GC to my house is about 60 miles. I called the main guitar shop in Daytona and the guitar tech I talked to reccomended this place called Audio Visual King, so I took it there. There were a bunch of other amps and stuff sitting in there, so I trust the guy has plenty of experience with working on them, I just don't know if he understands the effect the tubes have on the tone.
Guitars
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Line 6 Echo Park
Preamp tubes have a big influence on shaping the tone. The power amp tubes just have different characteristics when the breakup and small effects on the overall tone. 6l6 tubes have more headroom than EL34s but only make the amp a bit more American voiced. I have heard plenty of 6l6 amps that sounded british. My point is, the circuit, speakers, preamp tubes, guitar, etc make much more of a difference than power tubes.

IN short, don't cheap out on you preamp tubes.