I've been looking to buying a new guitar to accompany my Epiphone SG. I was considering a Epiphone Les Paul 100 Electric

I'm looking for a guitar with nice versatility from hard rock death metal to decent blues tones, any suggestions? My price range is with this guitar ($300) and I'm planning in buying my next guitar in a couple of months but I want to decide now so I don't buy on impulse.

That guitar and Epiphone Goth G-400 are my two choices as of now

I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Last edited by Misticalz at Dec 21, 2008,
You should definitely buy a new amp first, line 6 spiders are horrible, you are never going to have a death metal or blues tone from that amp.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Really? I brought it solely for the mp3 input, what would you suggest for set genres?
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Some kind of decent Marshall would be good. You can use your Boss pedal for the death metal sounds, and use the amp's distortion for more bluesy sounds. You can play around with combinations of the two for the in-between stuff.
-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
Ok, well, regardless of the amplifier, which of the two guitars would suit me better? I'm new to shopping for a guitar alone and all.

A "decent Marshall" is going to be pretty expensive, I would suggest looking into the Valveking series. They're a well-renowned intermediate amp. You could probably get a combo for about $400 (I'm guessing).
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
I could get a decent Marshall amp over the Summer, but right now I'm looking for buying a new guitar and my decision has narrowed to those two guitars and like I said, versatility is key, I also want the new guitar to be good with pinch harmonics (if that changes anything)

You would probably need to get new pickups for better pinch harmonics. I put in an dimarzio x2n into my bridge and it turned that guitar into a monster. I would go with the Paul then put new pickups into it for a heavier sound.
Any guitar can do pinch harmonics, just put it on the bridge pickup and crank the gain to 10.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Quote by neozeke
You would probably need to get new pickups for better pinch harmonics. I put in an dimarzio x2n into my bridge and it turned that guitar into a monster. I would go with the Paul then put new pickups into it for a heavier sound.

How much are those Dimarzios? Also, would they be good for bluesy sounds as well?

The X2n ran me about $60. But I got it on sale from guitar center, I think you can get it from musicans friend for $70-80. They sound pretty good for blues if you have a neck pickup as well. I took mine out after putting in the x2n so I could have a kill switch. They have a somewhat muddy sound without distortion not too bad tough with the right settings.
If there are any other guitars in this price range ($300) please tell me.

Schecters are more in the $400 range but they are really good. I got my schecter OMen-6 for 300 and it's pretty good very versatile guitar. The stock pickups sound like crap though.
Epiphone makes a fixed bridge guitar with dual active/passive pickups and some other nice features for 300 dollars even.It'd be a good compliment to the more classic rock sound of your SG and would give you some heavier tone.It's called the EM-2 prophecy,look it up if you get the chance since it sounds like it'd be a better match to what you're looking for than the LP or SG.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Ok, I see both the Prophecy and the Omen 6 and I happen to notice something called "Floyd Rose Tremolo" on the Epiphone Prophecy, what is that? Plus, the Schecter Omen 6 isn't in the $400 range neither.

Last edited by Misticalz at Dec 21, 2008,
Should I consider getting a guitar with a whammy bar this early?

i'm not too well up on epiphones, but as far as i'm aware, the g400 is meant to be a pretty big step-up from the LP100. the lp100 is a starter guitar, if i'm not mistaken.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
DAVE_MC is on the money I think! The G400 is probably a step up from the LP100 which is thinner than a Paul and has a bolt on neck. If you want a better LP from Epi try the LP Standard, Plus, Custom or Gold Top.
Moving on.....
Quote by Misticalz
Ok, I see both the Prophecy and the Omen 6 and I happen to notice something called "Floyd Rose Tremolo" on the Epiphone Prophecy, what is that? Plus, the Schecter Omen 6 isn't in the $400 range neither.

The floyd rose is what's called a double locking tremelo.It's a bridge that is held to the body with set studs and springs attached to a claw that is screwed into the body.It allows you to raise and lower the pitch of your strings with the bar that screws into it,also know as a whammy bar.With this you can do things like dive bombs,eerie effects,subtle vibrato type effects, and so on.I wouldn't recommend one for a beginner because they are complicated as far as string and tuning changes go unless you have experience with them.I'm still surprised that a 400 dollar guitar has an original floyd rose trem on it,usually at that price it would be a lower quality licensed floyd rose or something like that.

Now that my long ass explanation is over,the prophecy EM-2 series has 2 models,the EX and the FX.The EX has a simple through the body hard tail bridge and is blue,this is the model that is 300 dollars.The FX is black and has the original FR bridge on it.Besides the bridge and the color these guitars are identical.I'd go wth the more simplistic 300 dollar model if I were you.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

^ just to point out, the prophecy doesn't have a recessed floyd, i don't think so anyway, so you're only going to get a little up-pull (maybe a semitone?)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ just to point out, the prophecy doesn't have a recessed floyd, i don't think so anyway, so you're only going to get a little up-pull (maybe a semitone?)...

Get a chisel and a hammer, and it'll be recessed in no time.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm not sure either.I have a bad habit of assuming all floyd trems are recessed.

Quote by Misticalz
Ok, well, regardless of the amplifier, which of the two guitars would suit me better? I'm new to shopping for a guitar alone and all.

like said, the lp 100 is step up from a toy.

and the g-400 goth is a little better quality wise, but it's the cheapest of the studio versions due to it's crap finish.

i suggest you look for a used standard, or buy a new pup and tuners for your current guitar and save for an amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Hmm... what if I simply waited 'till Summer to get this

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top and for now simply hunt for pedals (so that when I get an amplifier I don't have to get something w/ effects and from what I picked up from one of you is that amp - effects = better amp)?

I'd like to repeat that I'm a newbie and don't know much except for what things are like pick ups and so on, but for what's better and so on, I don't have much knowledge.

i wouldn't bother buying any pedals until you have a new amp, some pedals work better through some amps than others, etc. etc. plus when you have a new amp you might decide you don't need as many pedals.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, so about the guitar, should I simply wait to buy that during the Summer (start saving now and then finally buy it over the Summer w/ my Summer job)?

And then afterwards use my Summer job to buy a better amplifier? More preferably one without effects except possibly Reverb?

yeah, if you can wait and save up more, generally that's a better plan. also, if you're only a beginner, it'll give you more time to improve your skills, and also narrow down what you want in a new guitar and amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?