YOU Decide.

If you had the choice, which would you pick to put in your Les Paul, and why?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I have burstbucker pros and I love them. I intend on putting 57s in my semihollowbody, though. I've played les pauls with 57s and didn't like them as much.
Quote by guitarinchris
I have burstbucker pros and I love them. I intend on putting 57s in my semihollowbody, though. I've played les pauls with 57s and didn't like them as much.

If you were to say what tones they replicated best, what would you say?
-Jim Morrison
Quote by forsaknazrael
Neither, they're both too expensive for what they are. There are pickups out there that are cheaper that sound just as good if not better, or pickups that cost the same and sound way better.

Could you reccomend a Seymore Duncan vintage vibe bucker, then?
-Jim Morrison
Of those two, the '57 classics. Easily.

If you want a classic PAF sound, check out WCR pickups. If you're on slightly more of a budget check out High Order pickups (I've heard from many that these are actually really good and only run about $75 a pop for a handwound custom pickup)
Quote by forsaknazrael
Neither, they're both too expensive for what they are. There are pickups out there that are cheaper that sound just as good if not better, or pickups that cost the same and sound way better.

+1

Quote by SlinkyBlue
Could you reccomend a Seymore Duncan vintage vibe bucker, then?

Listed in order of output

Alnico 2 pro (a bit muddy for my liking but similar to the BB3)
Pearly gates (similar to BB2)
seth lover (similar to the 57 Classic)

There is also the 59 but that has alnico 5 magnets and I get the impression that you are after the more bluesy alnico 2 sound.
Not taking any online orders.
To the TS: don't be limited to just what you can find in local music stores. I'd take a real hard look at smaller custom wound pickup makers. If you're in the UK a lot of people around here recommend the above poster's Rock Monkey pickups, in which (by looking at his list of pickups), there seem to be plenty of vintage voiced humbuckers. I can't speak on them personally as I've never heard them in person or tried a guitar fitted with them, I will say that the best set of vintage voiced pickups I've personally ever heard are the WCR Filmores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhKnc0XZrs

Duane's tone in this video (start listening to around 0:50 when his lead comes in), is imo the picture perfect "airy," vintage les paul tone. It's what the Filmores are looking to recreate, check them out.

The type of humbucker you are looking for really depends on what kind of tone you're after and how discriminating you are as a player. "Vintage vibe" is really a broad category. I guess if you just want a vintage sound, but no particular sonic characteristics (I mean do you want something warm and fat? or hollow and airy?), then really ANY kind of PAF-ish humbucker will do.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 21, 2008,
Also for UK people I highly recommend Barenkuckle. I have a pair of Mules (copies of a '59 PAF). They are basically what the Burstbuckers want to be. They have a lot of attack and treble, but where the Burstbuckers sounds harsh and spikey, the Mules are still soft and doesn't lack any of the fat Les Paul tone (listen to the clip in my profile and you'll see what I mean).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
i think they have the same output. so there isn't much difference. but imo gibson pups are so overhyped by their expensive guitars. brands like sd and dimarzio and bareknucklles can do you much better.
Only Bare Knuckles for me in any and every guitar.

Id have no guitar without them.
Quote by Gabel
Also for UK people I highly recommend Barenkuckle. I have a pair of Mules (copies of a '59 PAF). They are basically what the Burstbuckers want to be. They have a lot of attack and treble, but where the Burstbuckers sounds harsh and spikey, the Mules are still soft and doesn't lack any of the fat Les Paul tone (listen to the clip in my profile and you'll see what I mean).

+1

I agree wholeheartedly. Gibson's pickps are great, but the pricing is ludicrous when you compare them to companies like Bareknuckle.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why don't you tell me exactly what kind of tones you're aiming for? What's lacking about your current pickups?

I'm looking for sound thats a little hotter than true vintage PAF.

I'm going for a Led Zeppelin tone. Maybe alittle Joe Bonamassa. The heaviest I'd do is AC/DC style.

How do you feel about Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59s? They seem to have a great reputation and aren't nearly as expensive as other PAF models I've come across.

These will be going in a pretty heavy mahogany les paul.

And to answer who asked what is wrong with my pickups... they are stock epiphone standard pups. There is room for improvement. They sound okay. It can sound great.
-Jim Morrison
57 classics by a mile
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by SlinkyBlue

I'm going for a Led Zeppelin tone. Maybe alittle Joe Bonamassa. The heaviest I'd do is AC/DC style.

How do you feel about Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59s? They seem to have a great reputation and aren't nearly as expensive as other PAF models I've come across.

And to answer who asked what is wrong with my pickups... they are stock epiphone standard pups. There is room for improvement. They sound okay. It can sound great.

Well, I'd actually consider Zeppelin to be heavier than AC/DC to be honest with you...

I've heard Joe Bonamassa, his tone just screams PAF. Something like Bareknuckle Mules (just your standard wound PAF) will get you that kind of tone. Zeppelin tone is a little harder to nail, early live Zeppelin tones were all PAF but somewhere around 1973 Page switched to t-tops which I believe are also the same pickups that Angus Young uses, which have lower output than PAFs and a much brighter character. High Order pickups makes a t-top wind for a low price.

I've had a set of Seymour Duncan '59s in my guitar, they sound alright. A little scooped sounding and a little bland but not bad overall. If your les paul is particularly heavy you may not like it in the neck. I found it pretty muddy in the neck. It was ok in the bridge, but not particularly powerful. I'd still suggest something like BKP or WCR, but Duncans are a good cheap option. Some people around here like GFS pickups too, I've played a guitar with the "Vintage '59s" in them, I thought they sounded a bit dead personally.

I too own a les paul that's a bit on the heavy side and it's very hard to find usable neck pickups for a guitar that really sounds very dark. Especially when chasing the tones of old bursts, which were much lighter guitars.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 21, 2008,
^^

Thanks for the help, good stuff here. You're spot on with Joe Bonamassa. Here's what he wrote on his forum...

In relation to Les Paul pickups:
The main 59 has original Patent Applied For pickups from a 1963 ES -335.. I got the pickups first and then the guitar eventually.. ( long story) Those are the best for obvious reasons.. The Tom Murphy 58 has Seymor Duncans and the other 59 has a Burst Bucker 1 in the front and a Burst Bucker 2 in the lead.. the Gold Top has the same..

I love his tone, it's wonderful.

How do you think the SH-1 would perform in the Bridge position? I'm considering pairing up a SH-1 in the neck and a JB SH-4 in the bridge... but I just want to avoid going from smooth, warm tone to absolute screaming when I switch one to the other.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
^^

Thanks for the help, good stuff here. You're spot on with Joe Bonamassa. Here's what he wrote on his forum...

The main 59 has original Patent Applied For pickups from a 1963 ES -335.. I got the pickups first and then the guitar eventually.. ( long story) Those are the best for obvious reasons.. The Tom Murphy 58 has Seymor Duncans and the other 59 has a Burst Bucker 1 in the front and a Burst Bucker 2 in the lead.. the Gold Top has the same..

How do you think the SH-1 would perform in the Bridge position? I'm considering pairing up a SH-1 in the neck and a JB SH-4 in the bridge... but I just want to avoid going from smooth, warm tone to absolute screaming when I switch one to the other.

SH-1 in the neck is great, and then stick an SH-14 in the bridge. It's much more PAF voiced than the JB.

Or, if you want to get boutique (which is in your budget, since you were looking at the expensive Gibsons) consider a set of Silverbacks from CorduroyEW. His website is rockmonkeyguitars.com. He's got some great pickups, and his Silverbacks are the real deal PAF kind of tone.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Well then I hihgly recommend Bareknuckles. I love Joe Bonamassa and the first thing I thought of was his tone when I tried them. Listen to the clip in my sig and you can hear me play both Led Zeppelin and AC/DC with them, does it spot on!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by SlinkyBlue
^^

The SH-4 JB is nothing like a PAF imo. I actually have a '59/JB combination in my les paul that I put in there a few years ago for a neutral, versatile kind of combination when I wasn't quite sure what I wanted from the guitar. They work well for that purpose but don't really sound all that great themselves. The JB is really more of a high output hard rock to metal type of pickup, I have real issues with it's inability to clean up well with a guitar's volume knob. It's just not a dynamic pickup at all.
Quote by al112987
The SH-4 JB is nothing like a PAF imo. I actually have a '59/JB combination in my les paul that I put in there a few years ago for a neutral, versatile kind of combination when I wasn't quite sure what I wanted from the guitar. They work well for that purpose but don't really sound all that great themselves. The JB is really more of a high output hard rock to metal type of pickup, I have real issues with it's inability to clean up well with a guitar's volume knob. It's just not a dynamic pickup at all.

Well I think I'm going to go with the SH-1 in Neck ad SH-14 in the bridge, what do you think?
-Jim Morrison
It doesn't hurt to give it a try, I can't say I've ever played or heard a guitar in person with the SH-14. Again, you need to be careful with the neck pickup if you have a darker sounding guitar as the '59 tends to mud up and sound a little farty on the low end.

I really do urge you to take a look at High Order, I've gotten awesome reviews about Jeff from a number of very good sources. They're quite a bit cheaper than your usual boutique pickup, and will really cost you no more than the Duncans, so at least go to his site and check out some of his sound clips.

http://www.highorderpickups.com/
SH-6/SH-10. Not vintage at all. Great metal Rhythm and shred tones... awesome... and decent cleans out of the SH-10 (output is similar to a '59 but it's eq'd differently).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
SH-6/SH-10. Not vintage at all. Great metal Rhythm and shred tones... awesome... and decent cleans out of the SH-10 (output is similar to a '59 but it's eq'd differently).

Except hes looking for vintage tones.
Quote by al112987
Except hes looking for vintage tones.

ah. In that case, Custom 5/'59.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.