Does it work? I'm trying to get a good tone out of my tube amp while keeping it at low volumes for practice. So, in other words, can I crank up the master/output on an amp head while trying to keep a lower volume with a low wattage speaker?
Sounds to me it might just blow the speakers, but I could be wrong. I don't know as much about amps/speakers as I'd like.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Epiphone 1966 Limited Edition G-400
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Egnater Tweaker 112 combo
what amp do you have?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
^ that's what I thought.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Epiphone 1966 Limited Edition G-400
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Egnater Tweaker 112 combo
get an attenuator.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Quote by Mattalac
get an attenuator.

+1
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by jei991
Does it work? I'm trying to get a good tone out of my tube amp while keeping it at low volumes for practice. So, in other words, can I crank up the master/output on an amp head while trying to keep a lower volume with a low wattage speaker?

A lower wattage speaker doesn't make your amp a lower wattage. The wattage rating of the speaker determines how much power the speaker can handle.
Ah I see. Thanks for the quick replies, I will look into the attenuator. Any additional info on those would be nice as well. I have a mesa boogie road king, currently running through a 3 speaker cab. Speakers are 150-200w each. Some old Kustom cab.
Quote by jei991
Ah I see. Thanks for the quick replies, I will look into the attenuator. Any additional info on those would be nice as well. I have a mesa boogie road king, currently running through a 3 speaker cab. Speakers are 150-200w each. Some old Kustom cab.

you have a Road King!?!?!
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
this just hit me.. if you got a head with it's rated power at say.. 16 ohms. and you got a 4x12 cab with 16 ohm speakers, you would wire series/paralell to get the 4 speakers to 16 ohms to match the head...
why not put the 4 speakers all in series to get a 64 ohm load, you would have to turn your amp up higher to reach the same volume, your amp would last longer due to less strain/more resistance, and you'll most likely get the same effect as an attenuator .
someone try!
^^^ Equals blown amp instead of speakers. Its a tube amp you really need to match impedance. 64 ohms on the 16 ohm tap wont last long before something fries.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
this just hit me.. if you got a head with it's rated power at say.. 16 ohms. and you got a 4x12 cab with 16 ohm speakers, you would wire series/paralell to get the 4 speakers to 16 ohms to match the head...
why not put the 4 speakers all in series to get a 64 ohm load, you would have to turn your amp up higher to reach the same volume, your amp would last longer due to less strain/more resistance, and you'll most likely get the same effect as an attenuator .
someone try!

jesus, that's a HORRIBLE idea.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
someone try!

Hahah no.

Your amp would be shot.
After I saw 'rated power at 16 ohms' I stopped reading.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
someone try!

if you ruin a Road King i would personally make it my life long mission to find you and kill you in the worst possible way.

just buy an attenuator and put the road king in 50w mode. how hard is that?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock